Karrueche Tran (/
Tran was born and raised in Los Angeles, California. by her Vietnamese mother and Jamaican godmother. Her father is African-American. Tran identifies as both Asian and Black, although her racial identity have come under fire, particularly for her use of the derogatory term "nigga". Tran first attended high school at Fairfax High School before switching schools, graduating from Birmingham High School in 2006.
Early career and The Bay: 2009–2014
Tran began her career in the fashion industry as a personal shopper. From 2009–2012, she worked at Nordstrom located at the Westfield Topanga mall in Canoga Park, CA. Later, Tran worked as a free-lance celebrity stylist in Hollywood. She first gained public attention when she began dating R&B artist Chris Brown in 2010.
At the same time, Tran began modeling by participating in photoshoots for local brands, posing as the face of Lady Crooks, the women's division under the streetwear brand Crooks and Castles for their Summer 2013 collection. She also began working on her own clothing line, The Kill. Tran gain wider prominence after starring as Vivian Johnson on the Emmy award-winning web series The Bay from 2013 to 2016. For producing the series, she won two Daytime Emmy Awards.
In 2014, Tran appeared in volume one of the photography book, Love West Coast Girls, by celebrity photographer Mike Miller. That same year, she hosted the BET Awards red carpet and multiple events during the official BET Weekend. She had previously co-hosted the BET show 106 & Park. Tran's TV One movie, The Fright Nite Files, was screened that year.
Film and television roles: 2015–present
In 2015, Tran was featured in the Spring/Summer lookbook for French-based athletic brand Le Coq Sportif. She also appeared on the covers of several magazines, including Rolling Out, Flaunt Magazine, Ouch Magazine, The Hundreds, Cliche Magazine, Bleu Magazine and Annex Magazine, including two feature stories on ELLE.com. Her work led her to a contract with Wilhelmina Models LA in 2015.
Tran's first featured film, 3-Headed Shark Attack, was released that summer, followed by the lead in the short film PrXde. She later gained recognition for her performance as Vanessa Ivy in the fashion web series by StyleHaul titled Vanity, sponsored by the makeup brand Maybelline.
After supporting roles in A Weekend with the Family and The Nice Guys, Tran landed the lead in Only for One Night, portraying Chloe, a married woman whose perfect life deals with betrayal when her sister drugs her husband and sleeps with him. All three movies were released in 2016. That same year, she partnered up with ColourPop Cosmetics to release the limited edition cosmetic collaboration, KaePop.
After her departure from The Bay, Tran began co-starring in TNT Claws (2017), a TV series about five diverse manicurists working at the Nail Artisan of Manatee County salon in South Florida. Tran was selected for her ability to bring "a layer [...] that wasn’t one note" to the character, according to showrunner Janine Sherman Barrois.
Tran began dating R&B artist Chris Brown in 2010. The couple briefly broke up when Brown reconciled with his ex-girlfriend, Bajan singer and songwriter Rihanna. After the latter's relationship ended, Brown and Tran continued their relationship but split after it was revealed in March 2015 that Brown had a daughter, Royalty, with Nia Guzman. In February 2017, Tran was granted a temporary 100-yard restraining order against Brown, and was eventually granted a 5-year restraining order against the singer. She began dating former football player Victor Cruz in 2017. Tran is a Christian and has stated,
This is about recognizing my mistakes and learning from them.... I own up to all the poor choices I have made and pray for the better. I pray everyday to God to strengthen me as a human and a young woman.
|2015||3-Headed Shark Attack||Maggie|
|2016||A Weekend with the Family||Courtney Clancy|
|2016||The Nice Guys||Tally-in-Porn|
|2016||Only for One Night||Chloe|
|2016||Welcome to Willits||Besh|
|2018||The Honor List||Sophie Stephens|
|2019||Jay and Silent Bob Reboot|
|2013||Rip the Runway||Herself / Model||Television film|
|2013–2016||The Bay||Vivian Johnson||Producer for episodes 2.1. and 2.8|
|2014||The Dead Diaries||Lisa||1 episode, "Massacre"|
|2015||Single Ladies||Samantha Gray||1 episode, "Build"|
|2015||Vanity||Vanessa Ivy||11 episodes|
|2015||Truth be Told||Monica||1 episode, "The Wedding"|
|2016||Relationship Status||Jane||1 episode, "The Wedding Party"|
|2016||Catfish||Cohost||1 episode, "Brandon and McKenna"|
|2017–present||Claws||Virginia Loc||Main role; 20 episodes|
|2016||Daytime Emmy Awards||Outstanding Digital Daytime Drama Series||Producer||The Bay||Won|
|Burbank International Film Festival||Best Short, New Media||Producer||The Bay||Won|
|HollyWeb Festival||Best Online Soap||Producer||The Bay||Won|
|Indie Series Award||Drama||Best Supporting Actress||The Bay||Nominated|
|2017||Daytime Emmy Awards||Outstanding Digital Daytime Drama Series||Producer||The Bay||Won|
|Indie Series Award||Drama||Best Supporting Actress||The Bay||Nominated|
- "Ganz schön heiß: Wem gehört denn dieser sexy Knack-Po?" (in German). Promiflash. December 11, 2016. Retrieved August 15, 2019.
- on YouTube
- Sloane, Stephanie (February 17, 2017). "ICYMI Karrueche Tran Interview". Soap Opera Digest. Retrieved March 22, 2017.
- "Karrueche Tran". BET. February 20, 2013. Retrieved June 5, 2015.
- Grant, Jasmine (May 17, 2018). "Exclusive: Karrueche Tran Reveals the Key to Living Your Best Life By Age 30". Retrieved January 19, 2019.
- Friedlander, Whitney (June 8, 2018). "Karrueche Tran Is More Than a Pretty Face". Retrieved January 19, 2019.
- @karrueche (September 6, 2012). ""I think I love food cause I was raised in a Jamaican household."" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Bennett, Jessica (February 19, 2018). "EXCLUSIVE: Karrueche Gets Real About Race, Social Media Slander & Victor Cruz". Ebony. Retrieved June 25, 2019.
- Marq, Shaun. "Karrueche Tran 101". VietSun. Archived from the original on May 29, 2015. Retrieved June 5, 2009.
My mother is Vietnamese and my father is black. I was also raised by my God family who is Jamaican.
- Kwateng-Clark, Danielle (March 7, 2017). "Karrueche Tran To Appear In Court For Extension Of Restraining Order". Essence.com. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- Kessler, Robert (May 27, 2015). "Karrueche Tran Sets the Record Straight About Chris Brown Breakup". Yahoo Celebrity. Retrieved June 5, 2015.
- "Karrueche Tran Models for Crooks and Castles". The Source. June 10, 2013. Retrieved July 15, 2015.
- Shaw, A.R. (January 25, 2013). "Karrueche Tran: Going in for The-Kill". Rolling Out. Retrieved July 20, 2015.
- "The Bay – Cast". thebaytheseries.com. Archived from the original on September 5, 2015. Retrieved October 1, 2015.
- Ibrahim, Banu (May 24, 2016). "Karrueche Tran dishes on her Emmy win, burgeoning acting career, and more!". AOL. Retrieved August 14, 2019.
- Rosenberg, J. R. (May 2, 2018). "The Bay, The Series Sets New Emmy Records!". Medium. Retrieved August 14, 2019.
- Miller, Mike; Miller, Shannon (January 1, 2014). Love West Coast Girls (Vol. 1 ed.). Independent Publisher. ISBN 9781495133961.
- Kim, Ashleigh (May 21, 2015). "le coq sportif 2015 Spring/Summer Women's Training Lookbook featuring Karrueche Tran". Hypebeast. Retrieved July 15, 2015.
- Green, Treye (July 1, 2015). "Topless Karrueche Tran Shows Off Fit Figure In Sexy Photo Shoot For Flaunt After Announcing Wilhemina Models Contract". OK Magazine. Archived from the original on September 30, 2015. Retrieved July 20, 2015.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- Farmer, Brian (May 8, 2014). "Karrueche Tran Washes a DeLorean for 'The Hundreds' Magazine". High Snobiety. Retrieved July 20, 2015.
- "Karrueche Covers Issue Two of Bombshell by Bleu". Bleu Magazine. September 25, 2013. Retrieved July 20, 2015.
- Schott, Julie; Prescod, Danielle (June 26, 2015). "How to Date Karrueche Tran". ELLE.com. Retrieved July 20, 2015.
- Schott, Julie (June 25, 2015). "8 Beauty Secrets I Learned from Karrueche Tran". ELLE.com. Retrieved July 20, 2015.
- Naasel, Kenrya Rankin (December 14, 2014). "Karrueche Tran Signs Contract With Wilhelmina Models LA". BET.com. Retrieved June 22, 2017.
- Rosa, =Christopher (June 10, 2015). "Karrueche Tran's New Movie 3 Headed Shark Attack is All You Need This Summer". VH1. Retrieved July 15, 2015.
- PrXde (2015), retrieved September 9, 2017
- "PRXDE featuring Karrueche Tran". Flaunt Magazine. Retrieved September 9, 2017.
- Carrie Cummings (May 5, 2015). "StyleHaul Reveals First Scripted Series, Starring Denise Richards and Karrueche Tran". Ad Week. Retrieved July 20, 2015.
- "BET Star Cinema: Sneak Peek of the Film 'Only for One Night'". BET.com. Retrieved September 9, 2017.
- "Only for One Night". BET.com. Retrieved September 9, 2017.
- Jacques, Renee (January 6, 2016). "Everything in Karrueche Tran's Makeup Line Will Cost Less Than $10". Allure. Retrieved June 25, 2019.
- Denton, Elizabeth; Abelman, Devon (October 26, 2016). "The Karrueche Tran ColourPop Collab is Going, Going, Gone (on Monday)". Allure. Retrieved June 25, 2019.
- Wagmeister, Elizabeth (December 13, 2016). "TNT Greenlights Rashida Jones' Nail Salon Series 'Claws' Starring Niecy Nash". Variety. Retrieved March 22, 2017.
- Kwateng-Clark, Danielle (January 30, 2017). "We're Here For Rashida Jones' New Nail Salon Dramedy With Niecy Nash And Karrueche Tran". Essence.com. Retrieved March 22, 2017.
- Friedlander, Whitney (June 8, 2018). "Karrueche Tran Is More Than a Pretty Face". Complex. Retrieved June 25, 2019.
- Harrison, Lily (May 27, 2015). "Karrueche Tran Opens Up About Chris Brown's Daughter, Says There is No Drama Between Her and Rihanna". E! Online. Retrieved June 5, 2015.
- Thompson, Avery (August 22, 2015). "Chris Brown's New Album Will be Titled "Royalty" After His Baby Girl". Hollywood Life.
- Cowen, Trace William. "Karrueche Tran Reportedly Seeking Permanent Restraining Order Against Chris Brown". Complex. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- Stutz, Colin (June 15, 2017). "Karrueche Tran Granted 5-Year Restraining Order Against Chris Brown". Billboard. Retrieved June 20, 2017.
- Benge Nsenduluka (December 8, 2014). "Karrueche Tran Trusting in Jesus as Chris Brown Seeks Forgiveness After Drake Accusation; 'I Choose to Trust Your Timing'". The Christian Post. Retrieved January 5, 2018.
- Andres Tardio (March 29, 2016). "Karrueche Tran Just Opened Up About Chris Brown In A Super Revealing Interview". MTV. Retrieved January 5, 2018.