This biographical article relies too much on references to primary sources. (January 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Occupation||artists' representative, gallery proprietor and publisher|
|Known for||Karsten Schubert Limited
Karsten Schubert Limited
This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (January 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Karsten Schubert ran Karsten Schubert Limited, initially in collaboration, and with the backing of, Richard Salmon, from 1986 to 1991. His 1988 group show of Ian Davenport, Gary Hume and Michael Landy was one of the first commercial gallery shows of artists that would later come to be known as Young British Artists (YBA). The gallery quickly came to represent many of the YBA artists and several non-British artists .
In addition to the exhibition programme the gallery also contributed to the publication of a series of catalogues and books which offered an overview of the YBA scene.
The gallery relocated from Charlotte Street to smaller premises in Foley Street, continuing its exhibition and publishing programme.
Rachel Whiteread's 1996 departure from the gallery triggered a reorientation of Schubert's activities. He became a private artists' representative and art dealer working with a select number of artists.
Schubert is a trustee of SPACE, London.
In 1995 Charles Asprey, Thomas Dane and Karsten Schubert established Ridinghouse. The imprint is committed to publishing primary documents, art historical research, first monographs, anthologies of interviews and writings and editions. The organisation has expanded since 2004 and produces 14-16 publications a year.
- The Curator's Egg , London: Ridinghouse.
- Bridget Riley: Complete Prints , edited by Karsten Schubert.
- Robert Ryman: Critical Texts Since 1967 , edited by Vittorio Colaizzi and Karsten Schubert.
- About Carl Andre , edited by Paula Feldman, Alistair Rider, Karsten Schubert.
- Technique Anglaise: Current Trends in British Art, , published by Karsten Schubert and Thames and Hudson.
- Cézanne, Chappuis and the Limits of Connoiseurship, The Burlington Magazine, London, September 2006
- "Ridinghouse: About". Ridinghouse. Retrieved 31 July 2012.
- "The Curator's Egg". Ridinghouse.
- "Bridget Riley: Complete Prints 1962-2012". Ridinghouse.
- "Robert Ryman: Critical Texts Since 1967". Ridinghouse.
- "About Carl Andre". Ridinghouse.
- "Survey: Books". Frieze Magazine. Archived from the original on 10 June 2015. Retrieved 5 August 2012.