|Born||5 January 1999|
|FIDE rating||2560 (February 2019)|
|Peak rating||2617 (April 2018)|
Born in Thanjavur, Karthikeyan learnt chess at the age of five years.
In 2014 he tied for third place at the Abu Dhabi Masters tournament and helped the Indian team to win the Under-16 Chess Olympiad in Győr, Hungary. In this latter competition he also completed all requirements for the Grandmaster title.
In 2015, Karthikeyan won India's 53rd National Premier Chess Championship in Tiruvarur edging out on tiebreak Vidit Santosh Gujrathi, whom he defeated in the direct encounter, after both scored 8.5 points from 13 games.
Karthikeyan also won the 54th edition of the championship held in Lucknow in 2016. Though he had a slow start, and lost the match against eventual runner-up Aravindh Chithambaram, a crucial win against top seed Vidit Santosh Gujrathi on time control, followed by double withdrawals helped in gaining the lead and ultimately winning the championships.
In January 2019, Karthikeyan placed second in the Gibraltar masters open tournament among a field of over 250 players.
- GM title application FIDE
- "Chess News - Karthikayan Murali – World U12 champion – In his own words". ChessBase.com. Retrieved 2013-01-11.
- Chennai boy wins world under-12 chess championship The Sunday Indian
- A hero's welcome for Karthikeyan The Hindu
- "Yuriy Kuzubov wins Abu Dhabi Masters on tie-break". Chessdom. 2014-08-28. Retrieved 10 October 2015.
- Mihail Marin (23 December 2014). "India wins U16 Olympiad in Gyor". ChessBase. Retrieved 15 August 2015.
- "Karthikeyan Murali winner of the 2015 India Premier Championship". Chessdom. 2015-11-29. Retrieved 7 January 2016.
- Priyadarshan Banjan (2015-11-29). "Men's Premier 13: Murali Karthikeyan!". ChessBase India. Retrieved 7 January 2016.
- Priyadarshan Banjan (2016-11-30). "National Premier 2016: Karthikeyan is National Champion again!". ChessBase India. Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "Gibraltar International Chess Festival 2019 - Masters".
- Karthikeyan Murali rating card at FIDE
- Karthikeyan Murali player profile and games at Chessgames.com
- Murali Karthikeyan chess games at 365Chess.com
|This biographical article relating to an Indian chess figure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|