|Elevation||1,000 m (3,000 ft)|
|Time zone||EAT (UTC+3)|
The town of Karuma is located on the Kigumba-Gulu Highway, immediately south of the location where the highway, crosses the River Nile. This location lies in Kiryandongo District. Bunyoro sub-region, Western Uganda. Karuma is located approximately 110 kilometres (68 mi), by road, northeast of Masindi and approximately 70 kilometres (43 mi), by road, south of Gulu. Karuma is also the location of Karuma Power Station, the largest hydropower project in Uganda, with a planned capacity of 600 MW, whose construction is planned to start in May 2012. The coordinates of Karuma are:2° 14' 3.00"N, 32° 14' 47.00"E (Latitude:2.234167; Longitude:32.246390).
In March 2013, Ugandan print media reported that the national government was planning a large modern city to be constructed at the site of the current town, to include the site of the proposed Karuma Power Station, currently under construction.
Points of interest
The following points of interest are found at or near Karuma:
- Karuma Falls - A series of natural rock formations at the bottom of the Victoria Nile, at this location, cause the waters to ripple, giving the river a white foamy appearance.
- The Gulu-Masindi Highway - The road crosses the river at this location.
- Karuma Power Station - The largest hydropower project in Uganda to-date; with planned capacity of 600MW. Construction is expected to start in May 2012 and last 5.5 years.
Photos and diagrams
- "Map Showing Masindi And Karuma Falls With Route Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- "Road Distance Between Gulu And Karuma Falls With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- Vision Reporter, . (1 December 2011). "Rural Areas Say Bye To Darkness: UETCL 10th Anniversary Supplement". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- Google (3 July 2015). "Location of Karuma At Google Maps" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- Tabu Butagira, and Abdu Kiyaga (31 March 2013). "Government Plans To Build New City At Karuma". Daily Monitor. Kampala.