|Directed by||A. Bhimsingh|
|Produced by||Vijayachander and Rev. Louis F. Knoll, STBC|
|Written by||Fr. Christopher Coelho, O.F.M., Modukuri Johnson (dalogues)|
|Music by||Joseph Fernandez, B. Gopalam|
|Cinematography||K. S. Prasad|
|Edited by||Paul Doraisingh|
|Distributed by||Radha Chitra|
|21 December 1978|
Karunamayudu (Telugu: కరుణామయుడు;English: Ocean of Mercy) is a 1978 Telugu hagiographical film written, and directed by A. Bhimsingh. The film starred Vijayachander as Jesus of Nazareth. The film, which won the bronze Nandi Award for Best Feature Film, was notable for two song sequences narrating the Birth of Jesus and Entry into Jerusalem, the film was screened at the International Film Festival of India.
Role in Evangelization in India
Directed and produced in India, with all-Indian actors, Karunamayudu was seen by many missionaries as one of the most culturally relevant tools for Christian evangelization in India. In India, many of the villagers encounter a story that they are unfamiliar with: the Life of Christ. The gospel is rendered in their cultural context when the film is shown.
- Director: A. Bhimsingh
- Co-director: Fr. Christopher Coelho, OFM
- Playback Singers: S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, Vani Jayaram, V. Ramakrishna
Other language titles
- Devudu Ledani Anakunda (Singer: S.P. Balasubrahmanyam)
- Kadile Muvvala Sandadilo (Singer: Vani Jayaram)
- Kadilindi Karuna Radham (Singer: S.P. Balasubrahmanyam)
- Paripoorna Kreestu
- Puvvulakanna Punnami Vennelakanna (Singer: V. Ramakrishna)
- Rajadhyaksha, Ashish; Willemen, Paul (10 July 2014). "Encyclopedia of Indian Cinema". Routledge – via Google Books.
- W. Barnes Tatum Jesus: A Brief History -2009 Page 236 "The auspicious moments"