Karur Junction railway station
|Express train, Passenger train and Commuter rail station|
Main Building of Karur Junction Railway Station
|Location||Thiruvikka Road, Neelimedu, Karur, Karur district, Tamil Nadu
|Elevation||38 metres (125 ft)|
|Owned by||Indian Railways|
|Operated by||Southern Railway Zone|
|Connections||Auto, Taxi Stand|
|Zone(s)||Southern Railway Zone|
|Division(s)||Salem railway division|
|Opened||December 3, 1866|
|Passengers||10,000 passengers per day|
Karur Junction railway station (Code: KRR) is a junction station located in the city of Karur in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. The station is a junction for incoming trains from Tiruchirappalli and Dindigul towards Jolarpettai-Chennai line through Erode Junction. A new Broad gauge line linking the station to Salem via Namakkal was opened in 2014. The station is a part of the Salem railway division of the Southern Railways.
Platform 1 - express trains to long distances via Trichy,Erode,Salem & Dindigul. Platform 2 - passenger trains to Trichy. Platform 3 - express/mail trains to long distances via Trichy,Erode,Salem & Dindigul. Platform 4 - goods train & track change for express trains. Platform 5 - passenger trains to Salem & Goods trains.
There is tea & food stalls in platforms 1,2 & 3. Toilet facilities in all the platforms for disabilities also.There is a RPF station & office building at platform no.1.
There are 4 lines branching out from the station
- Single BG line towards Dindigul Junction
- Single BG line towards Erode Junction
- Single BG line towards Tiruchirappalli Junction
- Single BG line towards Salem Junction:
- About 40 farmers in the district who had parted with their lands for the Salem-Karur BG line project filed a petition seeking adequate compensation as directed by the court.
- Six children, aged under 7 years old and a teacher travelling in a school van had a miraculous escape when their vehicle hit a slowing train at an unmanned level crossing at Kallumadai near the station in February, 2014.
- "New passenger train at Karur Junction". The Hindu. Retrieved 9 June 2012.
- "Electrification plan". The Hindu. Retrieved 6 January 2016.
- "Southern Railways: Salem-Karur line to be electrified". Rail News. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "Electrification in progress". Archived from the original on 14 March 2011. Retrieved 6 January 2016.
- "Pay compensation, say farmers from Karur". The Hindu. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "School van hits train at unmanned crossing". The Hindu. Retrieved 9 June 2014.