|Airport type||Public, Civilian|
|Owner/Operator||Civil Aviation Authority of Uganda|
|Elevation AMSL||3,146 ft / 959 m|
The airport is located in the town of Kasese, Kasese District, in the Western Region of Uganda, at the foothills of the Rwenzori Mountains and close to the international border with the Democratic Republic of the Congo. It is approximately 261 kilometres (162 mi), by air, west of Entebbe International Airport, the country's largest civilian and military airport. The coordinates of Kasese Airport are: 0°11'27.0"N, 30°06'10.0"E (Latitude:0.190825; Longitude:30.102786).
Kasese Airport is one of the 47 airports in the country. It is one of the twelve upcountry airports under the administration of the Civil Aviation Authority of Uganda (CAA). It is one of the five upcountry airports that are authorized to handle cross-border air traffic from member countries of the East African Community, as part of efforts to promote tourism within eastern Africa.
The Uganda CAA has plans to renovate and improve the airport by lengthening the runway to 8,210 feet (2,500 m). The runway will also be widened to 146 feet (45 m). The surface will be converted to tarmac.
A terminal building and aircraft fuel storage facilities will be constructed. A control tower will be erected. Customs and Immigration facilities will also be installed as well as cargo storage warehouses. As of October 2008, the construction plans have been approved and construction will begin as soon as the tenants on the land adjacent to the airport have been relocated. After all the renovations, Kasese Airport will be transformed into the "Kasese International Airport".
In 2010, the CAA awarded a contract to Gauff Consultants Limited for consultancy services for the redevelopment of preliminary master plans and detailed engineering designs for Gulu Airport for a price of about UGX:359 million (approx. US$217,000).
In July 2013, Ugandan print media indicated that renovations and upgrades were expected to begin in mid-2014. In November 2014, at a regional tourism conference in Kampala, President Museveni "confirmed Uganda has finalized plans to construct Kasese International Airport".
- Wilson Asiimwe, and Billy Rwothungeyo (17 July 2013). "US$57 million earmarked for construction of Kasese Airport". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 29 October 2016.
- Globefeed.com (29 October 2016). "Distance between Entebbe International Airport, Entebbe, Uganda and Kasese Airport, Kasese, Uganda". Globefeed.com.
- Template:Google map
- CIA Factbook (December 2013). "Uganda: Transportation - Airports". CIA World Factbook. Retrieved 29 October 2016.
- CAA (29 October 2016). "Profile of Kasese Airport". Entebbe: Civil Aviation Authority (Uganda) (CAA). Retrieved 29 October 2016.
- GCMC (29 October 2016). "Profile of Kasese Airport (KSE)". Great Circle Mapper (GCMC). Retrieved 29 October 2016.
- Thome, Wolfgang (19 August 2012). "Plans for Kasese and Gulu aerodrome expansion ready says UCAA". Kampala: Wolfgangthome.wordpress.com. Retrieved 29 October 2016.
- Thembo Kahungu Misairi (4 February 2012). "Kasese Demands International Airport". Daily Monitor Mobile. Kampala. Retrieved 17 November 2014.
- Dear, Jeanne (19 September 2013). "Civil Aviation Authority to construct four new airports". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 29 October 2016.
- Nanyonjo, Aidah (22 July 2011). "CAA Kasese Airfield Tender Award Cleared". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 29 October 2016.
- Tentena, Paul (15 November 2014). "Museveni Graces Tourism Meeting". East African Business Week. Kampala. Retrieved 17 November 2014.
- Location of Kasese Airport At Google Maps
- Location of Kasese Airport
- Aeronautical chart for HUKS at SkyVector