|• Body||Gram panchayat|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Kashipur is a village, with a police station, in Kashipur CD Block in Raghunathpur subdivision of Purulia district in West Bengal, India. Kalloli, where the CD Block headquarters are located, is close to Kashipur.
The Pachakot Raj had ruled from their capital at Garh Panchkot from 940 to 1750 AD. However, Panchakot Raj faced adversities towards the end of their stay at Garh Panchkot. Around 1600 AD the area came under the rule of Bir Hambir of the Bishnupur Malla dynasty. Not much is known about the impact of that rule. Subsequently, Bargi attacks laid waste the place. Around 1750 AD, Panchakot Raj family shifted to Kashipur and have been here since then.
The Panchkot Jagir (also known as Zamindari Raj of Panchkot or Chakla Panchkot) was founded about the year 81 AD by Damodar Sekhar Deo of the Dhonagarh Raj family in North Western Frontier Province. Amongst the recent members were Raja Bahadur Jyoti Prasad Singh Deo, who ruled from 1901-1938 and was granted the title of Raja as a personal distinction in 1912. Raja Kalyani Prasad Singh Deo ruled from 1938-1945, Raja Shankari Prasad Singh Deo ruled from 1945 to 1956 and Raja Bhubaneswari Prasad Singh Deo ruled from 1956-1972.
As per 2011 Census of India Kashipur had a total population of 2,369 of which 1,246 (53%) were males and 1,123 (47%) were females. Population below 6 years was 258. The total number of literates in Kashipur was 1,632 (77.31% of the population over 6 years).
Kashipur Michael Madhusudhan Mahavidyalaya, established in 2000, is affiliated to Sidho Kanho Birsha University. It offers courses in arts and science. Santali and music are amongst the subjects taught. In 1872, Michael Madhusudan Dutt had worked with Kashipur Raj for a short period.
Kashipur Raj High School is a higher secondary school established in 1943.
Baranti travel guide from Wikivoyage
- "Capital in shambles: Garh Panchakot, Purulia". Heritage in Peril. Retrieved 1 December 2016.
- "Historical ruins". Trek Earth. Retrieved 1 December 2016.
- "Panchkot (Jagir)". World of Royalty. Retrieved 1 December 2016.
- "Kashipur". Purulia. Wikimapia. Retrieved 2 October 2016.
- Google maps
- "2011 Census – Primary Census Abstract Data Tables". West Bengal – District-wise. Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Purulia". Tables 2.1, 2.2,. Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 2 October 2016.
- "Kashipur PS". Purulia District Police. Retrieved 2 October 2016.
- "Kashipur Michael Madhusudan Mahavidyalay". KMMM. Retrieved 1 December 2016.
- "Kashipur Michael Madhusudan Mahavidyalaya". College Admission. Retrieved 1 December 2016.
- "Pancha Kot Raj High School". icbse. Retrieved 2 December 2016.
|This article about a location in West Bengal is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|