|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2014)|
|District||Udham Singh Nagar|
|• Total||5.46 km2 (2.11 sq mi)|
|Elevation||218 m (715 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Sex ratio||911 ♂/♀|
Kashipur (Hindi: काशीपुर) is a city and a Nagar Nigam in Udham Singh Nagar district in the Indian state of Uttarakhand. Kashipur was declared as Nagar Nigam on 26 January 2013. Kashipur is located at . It has an average elevation of 218 metres (715 feet).
Kashipur was known as Govishana, during the time of Harsha (606–647 AD). The ruins of the large settlement of those days can be still seen near the city. Kashipur was named after Kashinath Adhikari, the founder of the township and governor of the pargana, one of the officers of the Chand Kings of Kumaon in the 16th and 17th centuries.
The nearest proposed airport is 72 km away at Pantnagar. Kashipur is connected to Ramnagar, Kathgodam, Moradabad, Bareilly, Lucknow, Kanpur, Mumbai, Chandigarh, Jaisalmer and Delhi by rail network.
As per provisional data of 2011 census Kashipur had a population of 121,610, out of which males were 63,625 and females were 57,985. The literacy rate was 83.4%. In Kashipur, 14% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Drona Sagar Lake
Drona Sagar is believed to be associated with Guru Dronacharya, teacher of the Pandavas and the Kauravas in the epic Mahabharata. Many believe that the Drona Sagar was created by the Pandavas as a Guru Dakshina (fee) for Dronacharya. The Skanda Purana states that the water of Drona Sagar is as holy as that of the Ganges. The excavation site at Drona Sagar is protected by the Archaeological Survey of India.
- "रूडकी, रूद्रपुर व काषीपुर को नगर निगम बनाने की घोषणा | Himalaya Gaurav Uttarakhand". Himalayauk.org. Retrieved 2013-11-08.
- "Maps, Weather, Videos, and Airports for Kashipur, India". Fallingrain.com. Retrieved 2013-11-08.
- History of Uttaranchal - Omacanda Hāṇḍā - Google Boeken. Books.google.com. Retrieved 2013-11-08.
- Kashipur town The Imperial Gazetteer of India, 1909, v. 15, p. 71.
- "Pantnagar Airport (PGH) Details – India – World Airport Codes". World-airport-codes.com. Retrieved 2013-11-08.
- "Urban Agglomerations/Cities having population 1 lakh and above" (PDF). Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011. Retrieved 2012-07-07.
- "List of Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Sites and Remains of Uttranchal - Archaeological Survey of India". Asi.nic.in. Retrieved 2013-11-08.
- "Uttarakhand plans IIM at Kashipur - Rediff.com Business". Business.rediff.com. 2009-12-23. Retrieved 2013-11-08.