|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|District||Udham Singh Nagar|
|• Mayor||Mrs. Usha Chaudhary (Independent politician)|
|• Total||5.4 km2 (2.1 sq mi)|
|Elevation||218 m (715 ft)|
|• Total||121,623 (388th)|
|• Density||22,275.2/km2 (57,693/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Sex ratio||911 ♀/♂|
Kashipur (Hindi: काशीपुर) is a city and a Nagar Nigam in Udham Singh Nagar district in the Indian state of Uttarakhand. Kashipur was declared as Nagar Nigam on 26 January 2013. Kashipur is located at .
Kashipur was known as Govishana, during the time of Harsha (606–647 AD). The ruins of the large settlement of those days can be still seen near the city. The famous Chinese pilgrim Xuanzang also travelled the city in the 7th century. Kashipur is believed to have a good historic trade of clothes and metal vessels.
Kashipur Junction railway station (KPV) is connected to Ramnagar, Kathgodam, Moradabad, Bareilly, Lucknow, Kanpur, Varanasi, Mumbai, Chandigarh, Agra, Jaisalmer, Haridwar and Delhi by rail network. Kashipur Railway Station is under the administrative control of the Izzatnagar division of the North Eastern Railway zone of the Indian Railways which currently serves the city.
Kashipur is well connected to major cities such as Moradabad, Ramnagar, Jaspur, Bajpur, Rudrapur, Bareilly, Delhi, Gadarpur, Nainital, Haldwani with road network. Major roads that cross the city limits are -
- NH 74
- NH 121
Major roads within the city are -
- Ramnagar Road
- Moradabad Road
- Bajpur Road
- Aliganj Road
- Station Road
- Mata Mandir Road
- Ratan Cinema Road
- Tehsil Road
- Jail Road (Famous for Street Food)
- Old Mandi (Famous for pool & joints, also Sakshi Singh)
Buses are one of the major source of transportation for the city. There are two major Bus station in Kashipur -
- Kashipur Depot (Roadways Bus Station)
- Jaspur Bus Station
Auto Rickshaws serve during the fairs and fates in large numbers. Rickshaws have been clearly the leading source of travelling to look for within the city. E-Rickshaws, also known as Mini Metro, have now established themselves as the leading source of travelling within the city.
Kashipur is becoming a thriving industrial center, the city is suited for Industrial Park projects with cost of living compared to metros. Large industrial houses such as Flexituff International Ltd, IGL, HCL Technologies, Videocon Pasupati Arcylon Limited, etc with several paper and sugar mills already have a presence in the city. Kashipur along with its 33 industries has become a developing industrial region along with cities like Ramnagar and Rudrapur, including almost 180 industries in the state of Uttrakhand.
Kashipur has some good schools and colleges, that are affiliated with many of the education bodies.
Major Schools and Colleges in Kashipur included -
- Army Public School, Hempur
- Chhauni Children Academy
- Krishna Public collegiate
- DAV Public School
- Delhi Public School
- Guru Nanak Senior Secondary School
- Kendriya vidyalaya
- Little Scholars School
- Maria Assumpta Convent School
- Samar Study Hall
- St. Mary School
- Templeton College
- Tularam Rajaram Saraswati Vidhy Mandir Inter College
- Vision Valley School
- Udayraj Hindu Inter College
- Govind Ballabh Pant
- Shriram Institute of Management and Technology
- Radhe Hari Govt. Post Graduate College
- Chandrawati Tiwari Girls Degree College
- Roots Public School
The Indian Institute of Management Kashipur also known as IIM Kashipur, is a public business school located in Kashipur, Uttarakhand, India. It is one of the thirteen Indian Institutes of Management the government has set up during the Eleventh Five-year Plan. The foundation stone was laid by the HRD Minister Kapil Sibal on 29 April 2011.
As per provisional data of 2011 census Kashipur had a population of 121,610 roughly equal to the nation of Kiribati, out of which males were 63,625 and females were 57,985. The literacy rate was 83.4%. In Kashipur, 14% of the population is under 6 years of age.
According to 2011 census distribution of religions in population of Kashipur were -
The major language spoken in the city is Hindi with a Punjabi influence. The area also has its own slang words which are known to people born and brought up there.
Kashipur is divided into 20 wards for election purposes.
Major Tourist Attractions in the city are -
- Drona Sagar Lake
- Shree Moteshwar Mahadev Mandir
- Maa Balsundari Mandir
- Chaiti Mela
- Gurudwara Shri Nankana Sahib
- Tumaria Dam
- Giri Sarovar
- Arya Samaj Mandir
You can enjoy from a wide variety of cuisine. The Ratan Cinema Road in the city has been dedicated food stalls and vans in a short period of time. The city also has a number of good restaurants and motel's.
- "रूडकी, रूद्रपुर व काषीपुर को नगर निगम बनाने की घोषणा | Himalaya Gaurav Uttarakhand". Himalayauk.org. Retrieved 2013-11-08.
- "Maps, Weather, Videos, and Airports for Kashipur, India". Fallingrain.com. Retrieved 2013-11-08.
- History of Uttaranchal - Omacanda Hāṇḍā - Google Boeken. Books.google.com. Retrieved 2013-11-08.
- Kashipur town The Imperial Gazetteer of India, 1909, v. 15, p. 71.
- "Pantnagar Airport (PGH) Details – India – World Airport Codes". World-airport-codes.com. Retrieved 2013-11-08.
- "Urban Agglomerations/Cities having population 1 lakh and above" (PDF). Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011. Retrieved 2012-07-07.
- "Uttarakhand plans IIM at Kashipur - Rediff.com Business". Business.rediff.com. 2009-12-23. Retrieved 2013-11-08.