|Traded as||SET: KBANK|
|Industry||Banking, Financial Services|
|Founded||8 June 1945|
Number of locations
|1,120 branches and 9,349 ATMs (2015)|
|Bantoon Lamsam (Chairman & CEO)|
|Products||Consumer banking, Mortgage loans, Credit cards, Finance and Insurance, Corporate banking, Foreign Currency Exchange & Financial Risk Management Products, Equity & Debt Underwriting, Project Finance, Asset Management|
|฿39.5 billion (2015)|
|Total assets||฿2,555 trillion (2015)|
|Total equity||฿286 billion (2015)|
Number of employees
|Subsidiaries||Kasikorn Asset Management
Kasikorn Factory & Equipment
Kasikorn Research Center
Kasikornbank (Thai: ธนาคารกสิกรไทย, sometimes stylised as KASIKORNBANK, also known as Kasikorn Bank or KBank and formerly known as the Thai Farmers Bank) is a major banking group in Thailand. KBank was established on 8 June 1945 (2488 BE) by Choti Lamsam, with registered capital of five million baht. It has been listed on the Stock Exchange of Thailand since 1976. The current chairman and CEO is Bantoon Lamsam, the grandson of the founder. In 2003, Thai Farmers Bank changed its name to KASIKORNBANK or KBank.
As of December 2015 KBank was the fourth largest commercial bank in Thailand as measured by total assets, loans, and deposits, with the market shares of 14.5%, 14.6% and 15.3% respectively. Kasikornbank has a registered capital of 30.5 billion baht with paid up capital of 23.9 billion baht and market capitalization of 360 billion baht (second largest in the banking sector on the Stock Exchange of Thailand). KBank has total assets of 2.555 trillion baht, total deposits of 1.705 trillion baht and total loans (to customers less deferred revenue) outstanding of 1.610 trillion baht. The bank offers consumer banking such as credit card services, and mortgage lending, wealth management, corporate banking services including cash management, international trade financing, lending, deposit-taking, supply chain financing, Bancassurance, FX and derivatives, investment banking, custodian services, asset management, securities service, and factoring.
Kasikornbank (then Thai Farmers Bank) was established on 8 June 1945, with registered capital of 5 million bahts and 21 employees. Its first office is now the Thanon Sua Pa Main Branch. The bank showed healthy performance after only six months in operation. As of 31 December 1945, or at the end of its first accounting period, the bank recorded total deposits of 12 million bahts and with assets of 15 million baht.
- 1945 - Established under the name ธนาคารกสิกรไทย or Thai Farmers Bank (TFB)
- 1961 - TFB first capital increase to 14 million bahts with the total asset of around 400 million (behind BBL 1,465 million and SCB 546 million and BAY 456 million).
- 1962 - Rank 9th commercial bank in Thailand with 36 branches nationwide.
- 1967 - opened branches in London, Hamburg and New York City
- 1973 - Thailand’s first bank to offer credit card services, under the so-called "Multi-Purpose Credit Card"
- 1976 - Listed in the Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) with registered capital of 300 million bahts, total assets of 60 billion and 108 branches.
- 1980 - The first bank in Thailand to issue Floating Rate Certificates of Deposit, valued at US$25 million, in the London market
- 1993 - The first to employ the re-engineering system, the impetus for the redesign of branches and service delivery among Thai commercial banks
- 1998 - KBank pioneered the use of SLIPS (Stapled Limited Interest Preferred Stock), a new financial vehicle for fundraising, which was later used by other banks
- 2003 - Changed name from Thai Farmers Bank (TFB) to KASIKORNBANK (KBank). A new branch model of "coffee banking" was introduced by KBank, the first of its kind in Asia
- 2005 - KBank was the first Thai commercial bank to operate with a complete financial solution under the KASIKORNBANKGROUP, which consists of six companies including KASIKORNBANK, KASIKORN FACTORING, KASIKORN ASSET MANAGEMENT, KASIKORN RESEARCH CENTER, KASIKORN SECURITIES, and KASIKORN LEASING.
- 2006 - Partner Bank Strategy with regional Japanese banks, by signing agreement with regional and local banks in AEC Plus to reciprocate market knowledge, support and services for the customers from both banks.
- 2007 - Changed logo into tri-language logo (Thai, Chinese, and English).
- 2009 - KBank issued "K-My Debit Card", which is Thailand's first debit card service that allows customers to personalize their own debit cards.
- 2010 - The first Thai bank with "off-hours FX dealing" providing an extended service hours for currency exchange and treasury from 17:00 to 23:00
- 2011 - Escrow Agent: The first bank in Thailand to serve as a neutral third party on behalf of home buyers and sellers, Offering the world’s first secured system of payment via mobile phone (Mobile Verified by Visa) and K-Value Chain Solutions: Thailand's first financial solution that takes care of customers' businesses all along entire value chains, upstream to downstream
- 2012 - The first bank through which Myanmar workers can remit funds to their country; equipped its ATMs with menu in Burmese. Change the name of KBank in China to Kāi tài yínháng (开泰银行).
- 2013 - Opened a branch in Chengdu, its second branch in China
- 2014 - Full-scale locally incorporated bank in Lao PDR
KBank headquarters is located on Ratburana road, Bangkok. The operations hub take place in the buildings located in Impact, Muang Thong Thani, Bangkok. The hub of sales, trading and investment banking is located at 400/22 Phahonyotin avenue. Kasikorn Research Center, Asset Management and Securities businesses are also located on Phahonyothin building.
Kasikornbank operates 1,107 branches, 8,973 ATMs, 146 foreign exchange booths and 58 international trade centers throughout Thailand. The bank branch network extends throughout Thailand’s 77 provinces, as well as overseas.
- a locally incorporated institution: Kasikornthaibank (Lao PDR)
- 6 overseas branch/ sub-branches: Los Angeles, Cayman Islands, four in China (Chengdu, Shenzhen and Hong Kong as well as one sub-branch in Longgang district, Shenzhen)
- 9 representative offices: Beijing, Shanghai, Kunming, Tokyo, Yangon, Phnom Penh, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh and Jakarta
KBank provides financial products and services through its core business divisions:
Retail Business provides bank account, credit card, debit card, K-Personal Credit, K-Payroll Benefit, K-Home Loan, wealth management, insurance, foreign currency bank note exchange, and money transfer.
SME Business offers financial products, services and solutions to SME e.g. loan, cash management, bancassurance, trade finance and foreign exchange service.
Corporate Business offers financial products, services and solutions to larger corporation e.g. Corporate Finance & Investments, Supply Chain Financing, FX & Derivatives, K-Value Chain Solutions.
Corporate and SME Products provides financial product and service to large corporate and SME customers such as cash management, trade finance, bancassurance and securities services.
Capital Markets Business offers complete range of treasury products such as foreign exchange, interest rates, and commodity hedging, structured note, aval Bills discounting, debt securities underwriting and investment.
Investment Banking Business offers advisory and financing solutions such as M&A, project finance advisory, project financing, syndicated loan including Infrastructure fund, Property fund, REITS underwriting.
Notable former employees
- Piyasvasti Amranand (Executive Chairman of KAsset, 2003-2006) - Chairman of the Energy for Environment Foundation, former President of Thai Airways International (2009-2012), Minister of Energy (2006-2008), Secretary-General of the Thai National Energy Policy Office (1994-2000)
- Rapee Sucharitakul (Chairman of Kasikorn Securities, 2005-2008 and Executive Chairman of KAsset, 2009-2011) - current Secretary-General, Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
- Prasarn Trairatvorakul (President, 2004-2010) - 22nd Governor of the Bank of Thailand (2010-2015) and Secretary-General of the SEC (1999-2003)
- Kittiratt Na-Ranong (1985) - Deputy Prime Minister (2011-2014) and Minister of Finance (2012-2014), Minister of Commerce (2011-2012), MD of SET (2001-2006)
- M.R. Pridiyathorn Devakula (SEVP, 1971-1990) – Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance (2006-2007), the 20th Governor of the Bank of Thailand (2001-2006), President of Export-Import Bank of Thailand (1993)
- Thongchai McIntyre - Thai pop singer
- "KBank's Company Background". Retrieved November 22, 2013.
- ทรัพย์ไพบูลย์, ธนวัฒน์ (2001). บัณฑูร ล่ำซำ ธนราชันย์ คลื่นลูกใหม่แห่งยุคไอเอ็มเอฟ. Bangkok, Thailand: แก้ววิไล. p. 49. ISBN 974-88598-2-7.
- "KBank Annual Reports 2015" (PDF). Kasikornbank. Retrieved April 1, 2017.
- "KBank at a Flance". KASIKORNBANK. Retrieved March 15, 2016.
- "KBank's Retail Business' Products and Services". Retrieved November 22, 2013.