This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Osgood in February 2008
|Position:||Wide receiver / Special teamer|
May 20, 1980|
|Height:||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight:||220 lb (100 kg)|
|High school:||Salinas (CA) North|
|College:||San Diego State|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Player stats at PFR|
Kassim Alexandre Osgood (//; born May 20, 1980) is a former American football wide receiver and special teamer. He played college football for San Diego State University and Cal Poly, and was signed by the San Diego Chargers as an undrafted free agent in 2003. He has also played for the Jacksonville Jaguars, Detroit Lions.
Osgood was born in Boston, Massachusetts and grew up in Salinas, California, where he graduated from North Salinas High School. Osgood played in Jaycees All-Star game at Salinas High School in 1998. He scored 2 touchdowns in the game and the East beat the West by the largest margin in the history of the series 37-0, and this record still stands today.
Osgood spent three years at FCS Cal Poly before transferring to play for the San Diego State Aztecs football team. In his sophomore year at Cal Poly, Kassim led the nation in receiving yards, ranked second in receiving yards per game (125.2), and sixth in catches per game (7.6). That year, he also set an NCAA Division I-AA record with 376 yards receiving in a game against Northern Iowa and set school records for both touchdowns in a season (14) and catches in a game (17).
Prior to the 2001-02 college football season, Osgood transferred to San Diego State University where he would be named first-team All-Mountain West Conference. In that year he ranked second in the nation in catches (108) and fourth in nation in yards per game (119.4). He and teammate J. R. Tolver combined to set NCAA records for receiving yards in a season by teammates with 3,337 yards and catches with 236. Kassim earned his degree in Sociology from San Diego State.
San Diego Chargers
Osgood was signed by the San Diego Chargers as an undrafted free agent ahead of the 2003 NFL season. He saw some playing time in his first two seasons with the team, appearing in all 16 games and catching two touchdown passes each season.
Prior to the 2006 season, he signed a four-year extension and assumed he would become a bigger part of the offense. However, that did not happen. Osgood expressed frustration with his role in San Diego and remarked "I'm going to be a great receiver some day – probably not in San Diego".
On March 6, 2010, Osgood signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars to a three-year, $6.675 million contract, with a $2.2 million signing bonus.
Osgood was released by the Jaguars on March 13, 2012.
San Francisco 49ers
The San Francisco 49ers signed Osgood on June 4, 2013, but he did not make the regular season roster. He was re-signed on September 11, 2013. He completed the 2013 season with the 49ers having played 14 games where he registered 12 special teams tackles, one blocked punt and recovered one muffed punt for a touchdown.
Osgood was re-signed to a one-year contract with the 49ers on March 17, 2014, for special teams and a worthy back up receiver. The 49ers released him on August 30, 2014 as part of the final roster reduction to 53-players. On September 2, 2014 the 49ers re-signed Osgood to a one-year contract. However, on September 6, 2014 the 49ers released Osgood again. He was yet again re-signed on September 8 when LaMichael James was cut, He was released on October 8 to make room for the signing of safety Bubba Ventrone. Then on October 10, the 49ers cut quarterback Josh Johnson to make room for him on the 53-man roster once again.
- "ESPN Profile". ESPN.com.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-02-03. Retrieved 2014-01-23.
- Devine, John (June 4, 2013). "John Devine: 49ers sign North Salinas alum Kassim Osgood". Monterey County Herald.
- SignOnSanDiego.com > San Diego Chargers - Osgood accepts his role
- Verderame, Matt (Sep 11, 2013). "San Francisco 49ers sign Kassim Osgood".
- Oshan, Jeremiah (March 13, 2012). "Kassim Osgood Released By Jacksonville Jaguars".
- San Francisco 49ers: Release WRs Kassim Osgood And Lavelle Hawkins ninerfans.com, Retrieved September 7, 2014
- 49ers Sign Kassim Osgood www.49ers.com, Retrieved September 7, 2014.
- 49ers Sign WR Kassim Osgood, Place NT Glenn Dorsey on IR www.49ers.com, Retrieved September 7, 2014.
- Niners release WR Osgood; Seahawks cut WR Bates www.nfl.com, Retrieved September 7, 2014.
- Sign S Ventrone, Release WR Osgood www.49ers.com, Retrieved September 7, 2014
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-10-11. Retrieved 2014-10-11.
- Fucillo, David. "Kassim Osgood likely out for final two games with broken hand". Retrieved 17 December 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kassim Osgood.|