Kastenlauf (literally beer crate-running) or Bier-Rallye, is a drinking game that is played in Austria, Germany and Switzerland. It is a race among teams that consist of at least two people carrying a crate of beer, the contents of which must be consumed prior to crossing the finish line. The first team to cross the finish line after drinking all of their beer is considered the winner. The teams are usually also required to retain all their bottle caps, as an anti-littering measure.
The route generally varies from 5 to 12 kilometres (3.1 to 7.5 mi) in length.
- (in German) Fuldaer Zeitung Tragischer Unfall beim Fuldaer Kastenlauf, 19. Juli 2006
- (in German) A 2007 brochure about the Philosophy Department, University of Würzburg
- "12 Drinking Games that Have Kept the Party Going for Centuries". Retrieved 2015-07-13.
- "Was ist eigentlich ein Kastenlauf?" (in German). June 26, 2006. Retrieved Jan 5, 2011.
- (in German) "Die zehn Kultveranstaltungen im Münchner Uni-Kalender" Archived 2004-02-16 at the Wayback Machine., Mayers magazine, 2003, no.4