District location in Uganda
|• Land||2,428.8 km2 (937.8 sq mi)|
|Population (2012 Estimate)|
|• Density||72.8/km2 (189/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EAT (UTC+3)|
Katakwi District is bordered by Napak District to the north, Nakapiripirit District to the east, Kumi District to the south, Ngora District and Soroti District to the southwest and Amuria District to the west. The district's 'chief town', Katakwi, is located approximately 55 kilometres (34 mi), by road, north of Soroti, the largest town in the sub-region. The coordinates of the district are:01 54N, 34 00E.
Katakwi District was created in 1997. It was formerly part of Soroti District. The district is located in the Teso sub-region, home to an estimated 2.5 million people of Iteso and Kumam ethnicities, according to the 2002 national census. In June 2005, the western part of the district was carved out to create Amuria District. The eight Ugandan districts that constitute Teso sub-region are:
In 1991, the population of Katakwi District was estimated at about 75,200. The national census in 2002 estimated the population of the district at 118,900. The calculated population growth rate in the district is 4.3%. In 2012, the district population was estimated at approximately 176,800.
Subsistence agriculture and pastoral animal husbandry are the two main economic activities in Katakwi District. In recent years, attempts to start commercial agriculture have been initiated. Crops grown include the following:
Some of the prominent people from the district, include the following:
- Major (Retired) Jessica Alupo - Current Minister of Education & Sports in Uganda's Cabinet
- Proscovia Alengot Oromait - Current Member of Parliament for "Usuk County", Katakwi District. The youngest person to be elected to parliament on the African continent at age 19, in 2012.
- Uganda District Map
- "Map Showing Soroti And Katakwi With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- "Estimated Katakwi District Population In 1991, 2002 & 2012". Citypopulation.de. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- "Agro-enterprise Development In Katakwi District". Foodnet Project. Retrieved 18 May 2014.