Katana Maidens ~ Toji No Miko
|Katana Maidens ~ Toji No Miko|
|Written by||Sakae Saito|
|Published by||Kadokawa Shoten|
|Magazine||Monthly Shōnen Ace|
|Original run||October 26, 2017 – present|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Kōdai Kakimoto|
|Written by||Tatsuya Takahashi|
|Music by||Yukari Hashimoto|
|Original network||AT-X, Tokyo MX, MBS, BS11|
|Original run||January 5, 2018 – June 22, 2018|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Yuu Nobuta|
|Written by||Aoi Akashiro|
|Original run||January 2019 – scheduled|
|Katana Maidens ~ Toji No Miko: Kizamishi Issen no Tomoshibi|
|Directed by||Ishiyama Takanari|
|Produced by||Takanori Shīna|
|Music by||Kazuki Yanagawa|
|Platform||iOS 9.0 and above, Android 4.1 and above|
|Released||March 19, 2018|
The story is centered around a group of sword-wielding shrine maidens "Toji", who attend school while improving their extermination skills and serve as a unit in the police force in order to exorcise mysterious, hostile creatures known only as "aradama". The government authorizes the Toji to wear swords and serve as government officials, and the government has set up five schools throughout the country for the girls to attend. The girls live ordinary school lives, while occasionally performing their duties, wielding their swords and using various powers to fight and protect the people. In the spring, the five schools send their best Toji to compete in a tournament. As the tournament concludes in an unexpected fashion shortly into the series, a multi-layered conflict starts to unfold and develop involving different factions of Toji and aradama.
This article possibly contains inappropriate or misinterpreted citations that do not verify the text. (May 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Kanami Eto (衛藤 可奈美 Etō Kanami)
- Voiced by: Kaede Hondo (Japanese); Sarah Wiedenheft (English)
- Kanami is the main protagonist of the series and a second-year student in the middle school division of Minoseki Academy. She is a friend of Mai. She is a cheerful and positive girl who has many friends, and is a kenjutsu enthusiast. Her fighting style is the Yagyū Shinkage-ryū style. Wields the katana, Chidori.
- Hiyori Jujo (十条 姫和 Jūjō Hiyori)
- Voiced by: Saori Ōnishi (Japanese); Jeannie Tirado (English)
- Hiyori is a 14-year-old girl who studies in Heijou Institute as a third-year middle school student. As a Toji, she is often seen wearing the uniform of Heijou Institute. She has a serious, cool and stoic personality, has a strong sense of duty and will do anything to achieve what she has decided to do. Her mother, former Toji Kagari Juujou, passed away when she was small, and she has since carried a grudge against the Origami Family. Her fighting style is the Kashima Shintō-ryū style. Wields the katana, Kogarasumaru.
- Mai Yanase (柳瀬 舞衣 Yanase Mai)
- Voiced by: Azumi Waki (Japanese); Bryn Apprill (English)
- Mai is a middle school student from Minoseki Academy as well as Kanami's friend. She has purple hair and green eyes and she is from a rich family. She possesses an older-sister like tendency to take care of others, and always thinks about her friends. At school, she possesses great skill in swordsmanship. Her fighting style is the Hokushin Ittō-ryū style. Wields the katana, Magoroku Kanemoto.
- Sanae Iwakura (岩倉早苗 Iwakura Sanae)
- Voiced by: Honoka Inoue (Japanese); Tia Ballard (English)
- She is one of the representative of Heijou Institute in the tournament and accompanied Hiyori Jujo at the start of the series.
Renpu Girls' School
- Sayaka Itomi (糸見 沙耶香 Itomi Sayaka)
- Voiced by: Hina Kino (Japanese); Apphia Yu (English)
- Sayaka is a first-year student in the middle division of Renpu Girls' School. Despite being young, she is a genius Toji. She handles her duties with ease, but she has a hard time communicating with the people around her. Her fighting style is the Onoha Itto-Ryu style. Wields the katana, Myoho Muramasa.
Osafune Girls' Academy
- Kaoru Mashiko (益子 薫 Mashiko Kaoru)
- Voiced by: Risae Matsuda (Japanese); Lara Woodhull (English)
- Kaoru is a first-year high school student of Osafune Girls' Academy. She is typically seen as a sluggish girl that always conserves her energy. In combat, she is a power fighter who effortlessly uses a large sword despite her petite build. She relies on Ellen a lot. Her fighting style is the Yakumaru Jigen-Ryu style. Wields the katana, Nenekirimaru.
- Ellen Kohagura (古波蔵 エレン Kohagura Eren)
- Voiced by: Eri Suzuki (Japanese); Alexis Tipton (English)
- Ellen is a first-year high school student of Osafune Girls' Academy. She is half-Japanese, with a Japanese father and an American mother. She has a good relationship with Kaoru as a partner. She immediately acts friendly to people she meets, and has a tendency to make up nicknames to anyone she meets in combat. Her fighting style is the Taisha-Ryu style. Wields the katana, Echizen Yasutsugu.
Ayanokouji Martial Arts School
- Ayumu Uchizato (内里 歩 Uchizato Ayumu)
- Voiced by: Hitomi Ōwada (Japanese); Megan Shipman (English)
- A middle school girl who looks up to Kanami and desires to be a strong Toji.
- Maki Shido (獅童 真希 Shidō Maki)
- Voiced by: Yumi Uchiyama (Japanese); Morgan Garrett (English)
- Maki is the first-seat member of the Origami Family Elite Guard and Yukari's bodyguard. She graduated from Heijou Institute. She is the commander of Aradama operations. Her fighting style is the Shindo Munen-Ryu style. Wields the katana, Usumidori (Hoemaru).
- Suzuka Konohana (此花 寿々花 Konohana Suzuka)
- Voiced by: M.A.O (Japanese); Jill Harris (English)
- Suzuka is the second-seat member of the Origami Family Elite Guard. Her fighting style is the Kurama-Ryu style. Wields the katana, Kujikanesada.
- Yomi Satsuki (皐月 夜見 Satsuki Yomi)
- Voiced by: Mai Fuchigami (Japanese); Felecia Angelle (English)
- Yomi is the third-seat member of the Origami Family Elite Guard. Her fighting style is the Shinjin-Ryu style.
- Yume Tsubakuro (燕 結芽 Tsubakuro Yume)
- Voiced by: Inori Minase (Japanese); Jad Saxton (English)
- Yume is the fourth-seat member of the Origami Family Elite Guard. Yume possesses the highest proficiency in swordsmanship. She is a genius Toji whose ability exceeds that of Maki, a two-time successive tournament champion. Her fighting style is the Ten'nen Rishin-Ryu style. Wields the katana, Nikkari Ao'e.
- Yukari Origami (折神 紫 Origami Yukari)
- Voiced by: Asami Seto (Japanese); Katelyn Barr (English)
- Yukari is the current head of the Origami Family and the chief of the National Police Agency Special Sword Administration Bureau. She wields two katana's, Okanehira and Dojigiri Yasutsuna. During the Tragedy of Sagami Bay she served as the commanding officer of the special duty team and defeated the great Aradama, later becoming the great hero.
- Akane Origami (折神 朱音 Origami Akane)
- Voiced by: Ayako Kawasumi (Japanese); Jessica Cavanagh (English)
- Yukari's younger sister.
- Richard Friedman (リッチャード・フリードマン Furiidoman Ricchaado)
- Voiced by: Mitsuaki Hoshino (Japanese); Mark Stoddard (English)
- Ellen's grandfather and inventor of the S-Equipment.
- Sana Maniwa (真庭紗南 Maniwa Sana)
- Voiced by: Romi Park (Japanese); Caitlin Glass (English)
- She is the President of Osafune Girl's Academy.
- Princess Tagitsu (タギツヒメ Tagitsuhime)
- Voiced by: Rina Hidaka (Japanese); Janelle Lutz (Noro Form), Monica Rial (Human Form) (English)
- One part of the great Aradama that possessed Yukari Origami. She wants to destroy all humans.
- Princess Takiri (タキリヒメ Takirihime)
- Voiced by: Chiwa Saitō (Japanese); Amber Lee Connors (English)
- Another part of the great Aradama that possessed Yukari Origami. She wants to rule over all humans.
- Princess Ichikishima (イチキシマヒメ Ichikishimahime)
- Voiced by: Eri Kitamura (Japanese); Jamie Marchi (English)
- A third part of the great Aradama that possessed Yukari Origami. Soft-spoken and self-depreciating, she feels inferior to Tagitsu and Takiri.
- Ema Hashima (羽島 江麻 Hashima Ema)
- Voiced by: Mai Nakahara (Japanese); Mikaela Krantz (English)
- Ema is the President of Minoseki Academy.
- Iroha Gojou (五條いろは Gojou Iroha)
- Voiced by: Satsuki Yukino (Japanese); Anastasia Munoz (English)
- Iroha is the President of Heijou Institute.
- Yukina Takatsu (高津 雪那 Takatsu Yukina)
- Voiced by: Yukana (Japanese); Trina Nishimura (English)
- Yukina is the President of Renpu Girls School. A woman with a sharp tongue and an impatient personality, Yukina would lash out at anyone who displeases her or the head of the Origami Family.
- Yuzuki Sagara (相楽 結月 Sagara Yuzuki)
- Voiced by: Ami Koshimizu (Japanese); Michelle Rojas (English)
- Yuzuki is President of Ayanokouji Martial Arts School.
- Rui Onda (恩田 累 Onda Rui)
- Voiced by: Kanomi Izawa (Japanese); Kristi Kang (English)
- Rui is a former Toji and an acquaintance of the Ema Hashima. She works at Yahata Electronics, a company that works in the development of S-Equipment, as a system developer. She was aware of her involvement in the pursuit of Kanami Etou and Hiyori Juujou, Rui warmly welcomed the two girls into her house by request of President Hashima.
- Kagari Hiiragi (柊篝 Hīragi Kagari)
- Voiced by: Risa Taneda (Japanese); Madeleine Morris (English)
- Hiyori's Mother.
- Minato Fujiwara (藤原美奈都 Fujiwara Minato)
- Voiced by: Shizuka Itō (Japanese); Elisa Annette (English)
- Kanami's Mother.
A mobile game developed by Square Enix has been announced and released on iOS and Android devices in 2018. The cast will reprise their roles and the game will use Yoshinori Shizuma's character designs.
The anime is co-produced between Genco and Studio Gokumi. Kodai Kakimoto directed the series, while Tatsuya Takahashi is in charge of scripts and Yoshinori Shizuma is the original character designer. Kaede Hondo, Saori Ōnishi, Azumi Waki, Hina Kino, Risae Matsuda and Eri Suzuki performed both the first opening theme "Save Me Save You" and the first ending theme "Kokoro no Memoria" (心のメモリア). They also performed the second opening theme "Shinkakei Colors" (進化系Colors) and the second ending theme "Mirai Epilogue" (未来エピローグ). The series aired from January 5 to June 22, 2018. It ran for 24 episodes. Crunchyroll streamed the series, while Funimation streamed the simuldub.
An new anime television series titled Mini Toji, featuring mini versions of the characters from the series and the Toji no Miko: Kizamishi Issen no Tomoshibi smartphone game, will premiere in January 2019. The series is animated by Project No.9 and directed by Yuu Nobuta, with Aoi Akashiro handling the series' scripts, and Hiromi Ogata designing the characters. The main cast will reprise their roles.
- "Katana Maidens English Cast & Crew". Funimation. January 22, 2018. Retrieved January 22, 2018.
- "Crunchyroll Announces Winter 2018 Simulcast License Acquisitions". Crunchyroll. January 8, 2018. Archived from the original on January 31, 2018. Retrieved February 4, 2018.
- "Studio Gokumi's Toji no Miko Anime's Video Reveals Cast, January TV Debut". Anime News Network. August 11, 2017. Retrieved August 11, 2017.
- "Toji no Miko Original Anime Project Gets Smartphone Game, Manga". Anime News Network. August 11, 2017. Retrieved August 11, 2017.
- "Studio Gokumi Reveals Toji no Miko Original Anime Project". Anime News Network. May 15, 2017. Retrieved May 15, 2017.
- "Toji no Miko Anime to Air for 6 Months, Reveals Theme Song Artists". Anime News Network. October 13, 2017. Retrieved October 13, 2017.
- "Music" (in Japanese). Retrieved May 5, 2018.
- "Toji no Miko Anime Listed With 24 Episodes". Anime News Network. January 15, 2017. Retrieved January 15, 2017.
- "Toji no Miko TV Anime Premieres on January 5". Anime News Network. November 11, 2017. Retrieved November 11, 2017.
- "Crunchyroll, Funimation Announce 7 Anime for Winter 2018 Simulcast Season". Anime News Network. December 14, 2017. Retrieved December 14, 2017.
- "Toji no Miko Franchise Gets Mini Toji TV Anime in January". Anime News Network. November 10, 2018. Retrieved November 10, 2018.