Kate (text editor)
Kate in KDE Plasma Desktop
|Stable release||15.04.3 (1 July 2015[±])|
Kate (short for KDE Advanced Text Editor) is a text editor developed by KDE. It has been a part of KDE Software Compilation since version 2.2, which was first released in 2001. Geared towards software developers, it features syntax highlighting, code folding, customizable layouts, regular expression support, and extensibility.
Kate has been part of the KDE Software Compilation since release 2.2 in 2001. Because of KPart's technology, it is possible to embed Kate as an editing component in other KDE applications. Major KDE applications which use Kate as an editing component include the integrated development environment KDevelop, the web development environment Quanta Plus, and the LaTeX front-end Kile.
Kate is a programmer's text editor that features syntax highlighting for over 200 file formats with code folding rules.[dead link] The syntax highlighting is extensible via XML files. It supports UTF-8, UTF-16, ISO-8859-1 and ASCII encoding schemes and can detect a file's character encoding automatically.
Kate features multiple document interface, window splitting, project editing[further explanation needed] and sessions to facilitate editing multiple documents. Using sessions, one can customize Kate for different projects by saving the list of open files, the list of enabled plug-ins and the window configuration.
Kate is built using KPart's technology; it is a graphical shell around the editor component, referred to as
katepart. This KPart component is embedded by other KDE programs as well. Kate uses Konsole to get an embedded terminal.
- "KDE Ships KDE Applications 15.04.3". KDE. 1 July 2015. Retrieved 20 July 2015.
- "Distribution Packages". Kate-editor.org. KDE. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- "Welcome to The KDE on Windows Initiative". Windows.kde.org. KDE. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- "Distributions Shipping KDE". Kde.org. KDE. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- "2.1 to 2.2 Changelog". Kde.org. Retrieved 2015-07-02.
- "Issue 2 is out!". Linuxvoice.com. Retrieved 2015-07-02.
- "KDE SC 4.14 wird 4er-Reihe abschließen" (in German). Golem.de. 2014-07-10.
- [dead link]
- Christoph Cullmann (2005-03-24). "Writing a Syntax Highlighting File | Kate | Get an Edge in Editing". Kate-editor.org. Retrieved 2015-07-02.
- "KDE's Kate text editor gets vi input mode". Arstechnica.com. 2008-10-27. Retrieved 2009-05-04.
- "Using the Project Plugin in Kate". 2012-11-02. Retrieved 2014-09-24.
- "Using Sessions". Docs.kde.org. Retrieved 2015-07-02.
- "KatePart | Kate | Get an Edge in Editing". Kate-editor.org. Retrieved 2015-07-02.