Kate (text editor)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Kate in KDE Plasma Desktop
|Stable release||16.08.1 (8 September 2016[±])|
The KDE Advanced Text Editor (Kate) is a text editor developed by the KDE free software community. It has been a part of KDE Software Compilation since version 2.2, which was first released in 2001. Intended for software developers, it features syntax highlighting, code folding, customizable layouts, regular expression support, and extensibility.
Kate has been part of the KDE Software Compilation since release 2.2 in 2001. Because of KPart's technology, it is possible to embed Kate as an editing component in other KDE applications. Major KDE applications which use Kate as an editing component include the integrated development environment KDevelop, the web development environment Quanta Plus, and the LaTeX front-end Kile.
Kate is a programmer's text editor that features syntax highlighting for over 200 file formats with code folding rules. The syntax highlighting is extensible via XML files. It supports UTF-8, UTF-16, ISO-8859-1 and ASCII encoding schemes and can detect a file's character encoding automatically.
Kate features multiple document interface, window splitting, project editing[further explanation needed] and sessions to facilitate editing multiple documents. Using sessions, one can customize Kate for different projects by saving the list of open files, the list of enabled plug-ins and the window configuration.
Kate is built using KPart's framework; it is a graphical shell around the editor component, referred to as katepart. This KPart component is embedded by other KDE programs as well. Kate uses Konsole to get an embedded terminal.
- "KDE Ships KDE Applications 16.08.1". KDE. 8 September 2016.
- "Distribution Packages". Kate-editor.org. KDE. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- "Distributions Shipping KDE". Kde.org. KDE. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- "Kate on Windows". kate-editor.org. KDE. Retrieved 10 February 2016.
- "Kate on Mac OS". kate-editor.org. KDE. Retrieved 10 September 2016.
- "2.1 to 2.2 Changelog". Kde.org. Retrieved 2015-07-02.
- "Issue 2 is out!". Linuxvoice.com. Retrieved 2015-07-02.
- "KDE SC 4.14 wird 4er-Reihe abschließen" (in German). Golem.de. 2014-07-10.
- [dead link]
- Christoph Cullmann (2005-03-24). "Writing a Syntax Highlighting File | Kate | Get an Edge in Editing". Kate-editor.org. Retrieved 2015-07-02.
- "KDE's Kate text editor gets vi input mode". Arstechnica.com. 2008-10-27. Retrieved 2009-05-04.
- "Using the Project Plugin in Kate". 2012-11-02. Retrieved 2014-09-24.
- "Using Sessions". Docs.kde.org. Retrieved 2015-07-02.
- "KatePart | Kate | Get an Edge in Editing". Kate-editor.org. Retrieved 2015-07-02.