Gosselin in 2008
|Born||Katie Irene Kreider
March 28, 1975 
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Residence||Wernersville, Pennsylvania, U.S.|
|Education||The Reading Hospital and Medical Center|
|Occupation||Television personality, author, former nurse|
|Known for||Jon & Kate Plus 8
Kate Plus 8
|Spouse(s)||Jon Gosselin (m. 1999; div. 2009)|
|Website||Kate+ my 8|
Katie Irene "Kate" Gosselin (née Kreider; born March 28, 1975) is an American television personality. She achieved national and international recognition on the US reality TV show Jon & Kate Plus 8, in which she and Jon Gosselin are profiled as they raise their atypical family of sextuplets and twins.
Katie Irene Kreider, who is of German, Scottish, and English descent, was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to Charlene Ruth Kreider (née Kolak, born January 14, 1958), and Kenton Eugene Kreider, (born May 1, 1949). She has three sisters, Christen, (born May 17, 1973), Kendra, (born June 10, 1980), and Clairissa, (born December 21, 1981), and one brother, Kevin, (born October 6, 1976). 
Kreider became a registered nurse after completing a diploma program at the Reading Hospital and Medical Center in Reading, Pennsylvania. She then worked as a labor and delivery nurse in Wyomissing, Pennsylvania.
Kreider met Jon Gosselin at a company picnic on October 5, 1997. They were married on June 12, 1999. On October 8, 2000, she gave birth to twin girls, Cara and Madelyn "Mady", who were, at 35 weeks gestation, five weeks premature. Gosselin became pregnant through fertility treatment because polycystic ovary syndrome left her unable to conceive otherwise. After further treatments, Gosselin became pregnant again, and on May 10, 2004, in Hershey, Pennsylvania, at the Penn State Hershey Medical Center, she gave birth to sextuplets: sons Aaden, Collin, and Joel, and daughters Alexis, Hannah, and Leah. She gave birth at just shy of 30 weeks gestation. The sextuplets were born 10 weeks premature, which is common in the multiple births that result from fertility treatments. The early birth required that the six infants be placed on ventilators. According to Kate's newest book, very early in the pregnancy there were seven embryos, but one did not develop.
Following the birth of the sextuplets, the Gosselins were featured in the NBC reality TV show Home Delivery when their home in Wyomissing was renovated to accommodate the large family.
The family was then featured in a special on Discovery Health in September 2005 entitled Surviving Sextuplets and Twins. A year later they were featured in another special entitled Sextuplets and Twins: One Year Later. With high ratings from the specials, Discovery Health signed the couple to a reality series that aired beginning in April 2007, called Jon & Kate Plus 8, which documented their lives. To produce the show, the family was filmed for three or four days per week. The show's first two seasons aired on Discovery Health Channel and then moved to The Learning Channel (TLC). The family received payment for appearing on the show.
Jon and Kate announced on the June 22, 2009 episode of the show that they were separating. However, the two had met with Pennsylvania attorneys on the day that the episode aired to finalize plans for divorce rather than separation. They stated that their eight children will remain in their Pennsylvania home, and the two of them will move back and forth to accommodate the custody agreement. In separate interviews, they stated that the show would continue; however, TLC announced on June 23, 2009, that the show would be placed on hiatus effective immediately. According to TLC, Jon and Kate had moved the focus away from the family and the change in the dynamic, as well as the production difficulties that had occurred because the couple was no longer living together, made it unclear whether the show was still viable.
On August 13, 2009, the police were called to the Gosselin family home in Wernersville, Pennsylvania after the couple were engaged in a verbal fight. Kate arrived at the home during Jon's scheduled time with their children because she did not approve of the babysitter he was using. No arrests were made and no charges were filed against either party.
As of November 2016, Kate has a contentious relationship with her ex-husband, which has repeatedly made headlines. They have continued to battle over custody of the children, as Jon plans to take Kate to court for joint physical and legal custody of them. Currently, Kate has full custody of the twins and sextuplets while he has visitation.
On September 29, 2009, TLC announced the title of the show would be changed from Jon & Kate Plus 8 to Kate Plus 8 and would follow Gosselin as a divorced mother. Jon would continue to appear, albeit infrequently, on the show. The last episode was a season five finale on November 23, 2009, because of Jon's decision to stop filming. Reruns of the show still air on TLC.
Gosselin filmed a talk show pilot with Paula Deen in September 2009. By the end of 2009, it had not been picked up by a television network. In late December 2009 it was also announced that Gosselin was no longer being considered for a role in the planned show because she was deemed "too controversial" by show executives. Gosselin was a contestant on the tenth season of the television show Dancing With The Stars and had expressed a strong desire to remain on the show and win despite widespread criticism of her dancing. She was partnered with Tony Dovolani. She was eliminated from the competition on April 20, 2010.
In April 2010 TLC announced Gosselin would be getting her own show called Twist of Kate. The series will feature her traveling the country, visiting mothers who have written her letters about their stories. TLC has a new series of specials planned called Kate Plus 8. An unknown source told Life and Style magazine that Twist of Kate and her other reality specials had been cancelled; however, season 2 of Kate Plus 8 premiered on November 28, 2010. TLC's reps and Gosselin have denied the Life and Style's claims, saying that neither show has been cancelled.
Shortly after Gosselin was eliminated from Dancing With the Stars, rumors began flying that she would be featured on the upcoming edition of the popular TV show The Bachelorette. Several people denied this, including the show's creator, Mike Fleiss, and a representative for TLC, although they did say that it would be interesting to place her in the show.
In August 2011, it was announced that Kate Plus 8 would not be returning to TLC in September. The final episode of the show aired on September 12, 2011.
On March 19, 2014, it was announced that Kate and her eight would return in a reunion special, scheduled to air in June.
In August 2014, it was announced that Kate Plus 8 would return for another season on January 13, 2015 on TLC.
A new season of Kate Plus 8 premiered November 22, 2016 on TLC.
Gosselin has written three non-fiction books. Her first book, written with Jon Gosselin and Beth Carson, was published in November 2008, titled: Multiple Blessings. It debuted at number five on The New York Times Best Sellers list and sold over 500,000 copies by the end of 2009. Her second book, Eight Little Faces, was released in April 2009 and also debuted at number five on The New York Times Best Sellers list. Her third book, titled I Just Want You To Know, was released on April 13, 2010, selling approximately 10,000 copies in its first week and debuting at number 103 on The New York Times Best Sellers list.
- Multiple Blessings (November 1, 2008)
- Eight Little Faces (April 2009)
- I Just Want You to Know (April 13, 2010)
- Love Is in the Mix (September 4, 2013)
|2005||Surviving Sextuplets and Twins||Herself||One-hour special|
|2006||Sextuplets and Twins: One Year Later||Herself||One-hour special|
|2007–present||Jon & Kate Plus 8 / Kate Plus 8||Herself||Reality series|
|2008||Say Yes to the Dress||Herself||One episode|
|2010||Dancing with the Stars||Herself||Competitive reality series|
|2013||Celebrity Wife Swap||Herself||One episode|
|2014||Kate Plus Eight: Sextuplets Turn 10||Herself||2 One-hour specials|
|2014||The Apprentice (U.S. season 14)||Herself||Competitive reality series|
- Burgess, Michael; Burgess, Mary Wickizer (2009). The House of the Burgesses. Wildside Press LLC. p. 416–. ISBN 978-0-89370-479-7.
- Silverman, Stephen (December 18, 2009). "Jon & Kate Gosselin Divorced!". People. Time Inc. Retrieved December 18, 2009.
- Fuller, Bonnie. "Kate Gosselin Celeb Profile". Hollywood Life. PMC. Retrieved February 2, 2017.
- Remo, Jessica. "SHOW BIZ: JON + KATE + 8=$$$". Philadelphia Magazine. Retrieved March 25, 2009.
- Neal, Rome (May 14, 2004). "Couple Finds Joy Of Sextuplets". CBS News. Retrieved March 29, 2009.
- Boodman, Sandra G. "For This Brood, It's Chaos Times 8". Washington Post.com. Retrieved March 25, 2009.
- "Gosselin Divorce Papers Filed". People. Retrieved June 22, 2009.
- Jon and Kate Plus 8 episode 98 "Houses & Big Changes" season 8 episode 6, originally transmitted Monday June 25, 2009
- "Cops Called to Jon and Kate's Place". CBS News. CBS Interactive Inc. Retrieved December 21, 2016.
- "Argument draws police to Jon & Kate's house". TODAY.com. NBCNEWS.com. Retrieved December 21, 2016.
- Gosselin divorce: Judge finalises reality stars' split, BBC News, December 19, 2009. Retrieved March 1, 2010.
- Dale, Maryclaire. Jon, Kate Gosselin divorce final, Toronto Star, December 21, 2009. Retrieved March 1, 2010.
- Bueno, Antoinette. "Kate Gosselin Admits She's 'Messed Up' in the Past, Says Her 'Ex-Husband Doesn't See the Value in Uplifting His Children'". ET Online. CBS Television Distribution. Retrieved December 23, 2016.
- "Jon Gosselin 'is taking ex Kate to court to ask for joint custody and demands to know where special needs son is'". DailyMail. Associated Newspapers Ltd. Retrieved December 23, 2016.
- "'Jon & Kate Plus 8' to dump Jon, become 'Kate Plus 8'". The Star Ledger - NJ.com. Retrieved September 29, 2009.
- Herald Wire Services. Kate Gosselin canned from new TV gig, Boston Herald, December 24, 2009. Retrieved March 1, 2010.
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Celebrity and Professional Pairs Revealed!, ABC News, March 2, 2010. Retrieved March 2, 2010.
- "Kate Gosselin Won't Quit Dancing with the Stars – Erin Andrews Vows to Continue, Win". National Ledger. April 12, 2010. Retrieved April 14, 2010.
- Breanne L. Heldman (April 8, 2010). "Kate Plus 8 Returns! Gosselin Lands New TLC Show and Specials". E! Online. Retrieved February 5, 2012.
- Has Kate Gosselin’s Show ‘Twist of Kate’ Been Canceled? Hollywood Life
- Kate Gosselin Confirms Shows Not Cancelled Archived November 11, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. Gather
- Schwartz, Missy (June 16, 2010). "Kate Gosselin as the next Bachelorette? Please spare us the pain". popwatch.ew.com. Retrieved September 27, 2010.
- "Kate Gosselin Returns to Co-Host The View". UsMagazine.com.
- "News – Kate Gosselin's New Book Bombs – Celebrity News". UsMagazine.com. Retrieved September 27, 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kate Gosselin.|