Kate Hudson (activist)
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2013)|
Katharine Jane "Kate" Hudson (born 1958) is a British left wing political activist and academic who is the General Secretary of the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND) and National Secretary of Left Unity. She served as Chair of CND from 2003 to 2010. She has been an officer of the Stop the War Coalition since 2002.
She was Head of Social and Policy Studies at London South Bank University from September 2003 to 2010 and is now a Visiting Research Fellow. She was founding editor of the journal Contemporary Politics, serves on the editorial board of Debatte: Journal of Contemporary Central and Eastern Europe and is a member of the Board of the Barry Amiel and Norman Melburn Trust.
Hudson was a member of the Communist Party of Britain until 2011. In 2012 she joined the Respect Party, following the Bradford West by-election victory. Hudson was selected as the Respect candidate for the 2012 Manchester Central by-election, but subsequently stood down in protest at "unacceptable and un-retracted statements about the nature of rape" made by the party's only MP, George Galloway. She resigned as a member of Respect in October 2012. The following March, she joined film director Ken Loach and Gilbert Achcar, Professor of Development Studies at School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London, in a call for a new left-wing party. Hudson has written that over 2,000 gave their support to the campaign within three days of its launch. The campaign founded the Left Unity party in November 2013, and Hudson was elected National Secretary of the organisation at its first policy conference on 29 March 2014.
In the 1990s, she met and married Redmond O'Neill, (1954–2009) an activist in Socialist Action and adviser to Ken Livingstone. In 2012, Hudson married Andrew Burgin, an officer of the Stop the War Coalition and secretary of the national anti-cuts organisation, the Coalition of Resistance. Hudson is also active in the People's Assembly Against Austerity and the Greece Solidarity Campaign.
- CND - Now More Than Ever: The Story of a Peace Movement, Vision Paperbacks, ISBN 1-904132-69-3 (2005)
- Breaking the South Slav Dream: The Rise and Fall of Yugoslavia, Pluto Press, ISBN 0-7453-1881-9, (2003)
- European Communism Since 1989, Palgrave Macmillan, ISBN 0-333-77342-X, (2000)
- The New European Left: a socialism for the twenty-first century?, Palgrave Macmillan, ISBN 9780230248762, (2012)
- "Trustees". Barry Amiel and Norman Melburn Trust. Retrieved January 7, 2013.
- Hudson, Kate. "Why I am standing down as Respect Party candidate". Respect. Archived from the original on 6 September 2012. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- "Galloway Rape Remark: Respect Candidate Quits", Sky News, 4 September 2012
- http://www.leninology.com/ her resignation letter
- Ken Loach, Kate Hudson and Gilbert Achcar "The Labour party has failed us. We need a new party of the left", theguardian.com, 25 March 2013
- Kate Hudson "Can there be a new left party? Ken Loach – and 2,000 people – hope so", Red Pepper (blog), 19 March 2013
|Party political offices|
|New political party||National Secretary of Left Unity
|Non-profit organization positions|
|Chair of CND
|General Secretary of CND