Kate Gordon Siegelbaum
August 9, 1982
Silver Spring, Maryland, U.S.
Kate Gordon Siegelbaum (born August 9, 1982), known professionally as Kate Siegel (//), is an American actress and screenwriter. She is best known for her collaborations with her husband, filmmaker Mike Flanagan, appearing in his horror films Oculus (2013), Hush (2016), which she also co-wrote, Ouija: Origin of Evil (2016), and Gerald's Game (2017). Siegel also starred as the adult Theodora "Theo" Crain in the Netflix supernatural horror series The Haunting of Hill House (2018) and Viola Willoughby / The Lady of the Lake in The Haunting of Bly Manor (2020). Her voice acting has appeared on the horror podcasts Calling Darkness and The NoSleep Podcast.
In a 2008 interview, Siegel stated that she identifies as bisexual. She married director Mike Flanagan in early 2016. They have two children; a son and a daughter. She is also a stepmother to Flanagan's first son.
Siegel made her acting debut in the film The Curse of The Black Dahlia, which was released on January 23, 2007. That same year she went on to star in Hacia La Oscuridad which had its world premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival on April 28, 2007. She also appeared in Steam alongside Ruby Dee and Chelsea Handler. In 2008, Siegel appeared in the short film Knocked Down which was directed by Ted Collins. In 2009, she made her television debut in Ghost Whisperer as Cheryl. In 2010, she appeared in Numb3rs as Rachel Hollander. She then appeared in an episode of Castle. That same year she appeared in the drama-thriller Wedding Day.
In 2013, Siegel appeared in Man Camp. That same year she appeared in Oculus, a horror film written and directed by Mike Flanagan. The film had its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival in September 2013, and was released in April 2014. She also appeared in an episode of Mob City. In 2014, she appeared in Demon Legacy.
In 2016, Siegel made her screenwriting debut opposite her husband Mike Flanagan in Hush, the film had its world premiere at South by Southwest on March 11, 2016, and was released on Netflix on April 8, 2016. In July 2016, she starred in a commercial for Stelara psoriasis medication. That same year, Siegel appeared in Ouija: Origin of Evil, also directed by Flanagan, which was released on October 21, 2016.
In 2017, Siegel starred alongside Carla Gugino and Bruce Greenwood in the film adaptation of Stephen King's Gerald's Game, which was also directed by Flanagan. The film was released on September 29, 2017, by Netflix.
In 2018, Siegel had a starring role as Theodora Crain in the Netflix supernatural horror series The Haunting of Hill House, based on Shirley Jackson's 1959 novel of the same name. She also narrated the podcast Calling Darkness and has been a voice actor for The NoSleep Podcast.
|2007||Hacia la oscuridad||Jenn||Also known as Total Darkness|
|2007||The Curse of the Black Dahlia||Jennifer||Direct-to-video|
|2008||Knocked Down||Lance's Assistant||Short film|
|2009||Puke in My Mouth||Ms Taken 2||Short film|
|2012||The Collector||Jess||Short film|
|2014||Dead Room: Origins||Jade||Short film|
|2015||The Program||Natalie||Short film|
|2015||Wine Jabs||Vivian||Short film|
|2016||Hush||Maddie Young||Also screenwriter|
Nominated—BloodGuts UK Horror Award for Best Actress
Nominated—Fangoria Chainsaw Award for Best Actress
Nominated—Fright Meter Award for Best Actress
|2016||Ouija: Origin of Evil||Jenny Browning|
|2009||Ghost Whisperer||Cheryl||Episode: "This Joint's Haunted"|
|2010||Numbers||Rachel Hollander||Episode: "And the Winner Is…"|
|2012||The Unknown||Evey Kyler||Episode: "Prime Cut"|
|2012||Castle||Nadia||Episode: "47 Seconds"|
|2012||Where Would We Be||Stephanie||Episode: "Pilot"|
|2013||Mob City||Tandy||Episode: "Stay Down"|
|2018||The Haunting of Hill House||Theodora "Theo" Crain (adult)||Main role; 10 episodes|
|2020||Hawaii Five-0||Joanna||Episode: "I ho'olulu, ho'ohulei 'ia e ka makani"|
|2020||The Haunting of Bly Manor||Viola Willoughby / The Lady of the Lake||2 episodes|
|TBA||Midnight Mass||TBA||Upcoming series|
- "Best. Lesbian. Week. Ever. (August 29, 2008) - Page 4 of 9 - AfterEllen". AfterEllen. 2008-08-29. Retrieved 2018-10-29.
- Drew, Ari (April 6, 2016). "SXSW 2016: Mike Flanagan and Kate Siegel Talk Their New Thriller Hush and Upcoming Projects". Dread Central. Retrieved December 17, 2018.
- Schonter, Allison (December 3, 2018). "'Haunting of Hill House' Star Kate Siegel and Mike Flanagan Welcome Baby". PopCulture.com. Retrieved December 17, 2018.
- Condit, Jon (March 11, 2007). "Curse of the Black Dahila (2006)". Dread Central. Retrieved April 13, 2016.
- Goldstein, Gregg (April 13, 2007). "Tribeca Film Fest unveils lineups". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 13, 2016.
- "Steam". Amazon.com. Retrieved April 13, 2016.
- Collins, Ted. "Knocked Down". Vimeo.com. Retrieved April 13, 2016.
- "Kate Siegel". TV.com. Retrieved April 13, 2016.
- "Wedding Day". Amazon.com. Retrieved April 13, 2016.
- "Man Camp". Amazon.com. Retrieved April 13, 2016.
- Gingold, Michael (April 11, 2016). "Q&A: Star/Scripter Kate Siegel Speaks Up About "HUSH"". Fangoria.com. Retrieved April 13, 2016.
- Matt Barone (10 September 2013). "TIFF Review: The Smart, Inventive "Oculus" Is the Best Horror Film of the Festival". Complex. Complex Media, Inc.
- "UPDATE: New 'Oculus' theatrical poster debuts". WWE. WWE Inc. 10 March 2014.
- "Demon Legacy (2014)". CultureCrypt.com. Retrieved April 13, 2016.
- A. Lincoln, Ross (November 20, 2015). "Bold Films Acquires '13 Days To Midnight'; Shooting Wraps On Musical 'September 12th'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 13, 2016.
- Hipes, Patrick (March 10, 2016). "Netflix Acquires Micro-Budget Horror Pic 'Hush', Latest From Blumhouse & Intrepid". Deadline Hollywood.
- "Hush". SXSW.com. Retrieved March 11, 2016.
- "Kate Siegel". ispot.tv.
- Evans, Greg (September 21, 2015). "Consult The Board: 'Ouija 2' Rounds Out Cast". deadline.com. Retrieved September 22, 2015.
- Petski, Denise. "'Ouija 2′ Set For October 2016; Jason Blum Back as Producer - Deadline". Deadline. Retrieved August 16, 2015.
- Fleming, Mike (October 17, 2016). "Carla Gugino & Bruce Greenwood Star In Stephen King's 'Gerald's Game' For Netflix". Deadline. Retrieved September 30, 2017.
- S, C (August 23, 2017). "Netflix September 2017 Movie and TV Titles Announced". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved September 30, 2017.
- Noble, Logan (14 December 2018). "Author Interview: Gemma Amor". Logan Noble, Author.
- "Interview: Hush Star Kate Siegel Talks Ouija, Women in Horror & Understanding Privilege". Retrieved 25 September 2019.
- Connolly, Kevin (2012), Prime Cut, Dominic Monaghan, Jay R. Ferguson, David Pressman, retrieved 2017-11-09
- Pilot, Anya Benton, David Crane, Nicole Lynn Evans, 2012-07-15, retrieved 2017-11-09CS1 maint: others (link)