Kate & Anna McGarrigle (album)
|Kate & Anna McGarrigle|
|Studio album by Kate & Anna McGarrigle|
|Producer||Joe Boyd, Greg Prestopino|
|Kate & Anna McGarrigle chronology|
|Rolling Stone||(very favorable) |
|Robert Christgau||A |
Kate & Anna McGarrigle is the debut album by Kate & Anna McGarrigle, released in January 1976.:316:30–31 Guest musicians on the album include Lowell George, Bobby Keys and Anna McGarrigle's husband, Dane Lanken.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (February 2017)|
On 25 December 1976, the album was voted Rock Album of the Year by London's Melody Maker.:37 It was also listed at #5 on the 1976 Pazz & Jop poll. In 2016, the album was named as the jury winner of the Polaris Heritage Prize in the 1976-1985 division.
The album includes "Heart Like a Wheel" (by Anna McGarrigle), which was first recorded in 1972 by McKendree Spring and by Linda Ronstadt in 1974. That song subsequently has been covered by several other artists, including Billy Bragg, Katie Moore, The Corrs, and June Tabor.
Another song from the album, "(Talk to Me of) Mendocino" (by Kate McGarrigle), was also covered by Linda Ronstadt on her 1982 album Get Closer, by the English singer-songwriter John Howard on his 2007 E.P. The Bewlay Brothers, and by Nona Marie and The Choir on their 2011 eponymous album.
- "Kiss and Say Goodbye" (Kate McGarrigle) – 2:47
- "My Town" (Anna McGarrigle) – 2:57
- "Blues in D" (Kate McGarrigle) – 2:43
- "Heart Like a Wheel" (Anna McGarrigle) – 3:08
- "Foolish You" (Wade Hemsworth) – 3:02
- "(Talk to Me of) Mendocino" (Kate McGarrigle) – 3:08
- "Complainte pour Ste-Catherine" (Anna McGarrigle/Philippe Tatartcheff) – 2:48
- "Tell My Sister" (Kate McGarrigle) – 3:37
- "Swimming Song" (Loudon Wainwright III) – 2:26
- "Jigsaw Puzzle of Life" (Anna McGarrigle) – 2:29
- "Go Leave" (Kate McGarrigle) – 3:19
- "Travellin' on for Jesus" (Traditional, arranged by J. Spence) – 2:42
- Anna McGarrigle - vocals, keyboards, banjo, button accordion
- Kate McGarrigle - vocals, piano, guitar
- Tony Levin - bass
- Steve Gadd - drums
- Jay Ungar - fiddle
- Lowell George, David Spinozza, Greg Prestopino, Hugh McCracken, Tony Rice, Amos Garrett, Andrew Gold, Chaim Tannenbaum - guitar
- Red Callender - bass
- David Grisman - mandolin
- Joel Tepp - harmonica, clarinet
- Peter Weldon - banjo, backing vocals
- Floyd Gilbeau - fiddle
- Bobby Keys - tenor saxophone
- Plas Johnson - alto saxophone, clarinet
- Nick DeCaro - accordion
- Russ Kunkel - drums
- Dane Lanken - backing vocals
- Sleeve notes from Kate & Anna McGarrigle, Warner Bros. Records distributed by WEA Records Ltd. P & C 1976 K56218 (BS 2862).
- McGarrigle, Anna & Jane (2015). Mountain City Girls. Canada: Penguin Random House. ISBN 978-0-345-81402-9.
- Lanken, Dane (2007). Kate and Anna McGarrigle Songs and Stories. Canada: Penumbra Press. ISBN 18-9732-304-2.
- "Allmusic review". Allmusic. All Media Guide. Retrieved 2011-06-16.
-  Archived March 8, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- "CG: Kate & Anna McGarrigle". Robert Christgau. Retrieved 2011-06-16.
- "The 1976 Pazz & Jop Critics Poll". Robert Christgau. Retrieved 2014-01-08
- "Arcade Fire, Neil Young and Rush Among Winners of Polaris Heritage Prize". Billboard, October 25, 2016.
- Second Hand Songs.com: List of covers of "Heart Like a Wheel"
- Nona Marie and The Choir Bandcamp.com Retrieved 2013/02/06
- Second Hand Songs.com: List of McGarrigle covers
- fRroots Reviews Index: 'M': McGarrigle, Kate & Anna – Kate & Anna McGarrigle (Hannibal) Issue #123, fRoots magazine website