Kate del Castillo
|Kate del Castillo|
del Castillo at the 2012 Imagen Foundation Awards
|Born||Kate del Castillo-Negrete Trillo
October 23, 1972
Mexico City, Mexico
|Spouse(s)||Luis García (2001–2004)
Aarón Díaz (2009–2011)
|Parent(s)||Eric del Castillo
|Relatives||Veronica del Castillo (sister)
Ponciano del Castillo (half-brother)
Kate del Castillo-Negrete Trillo (born October 23, 1972) is a Mexican-born American actress. At the age of 18, del Castillo became known for her lead role in the telenovela Muchachitas, for Televisa in 1991. Afterwards she continued her career in film and television in Latin America. In 2011, del Castillo earned recognition in the United States for playing the lead role in La Reina del Sur. Subsequently, del Castillo has worked in several American TV series and supporting roles in Hollywood feature films.
Del Castillo was born in Mexico City, Mexico. She is the daughter of Kate Trillo and Eric del Castillo, a legend of Mexican cinema and a soap opera actor himself. Del Castillo also has two other siblings; a sister, the journalist Verónica del Castillo, and a half-brother Ponciano, from her father's side.
She made her acting debut in 1978 when she took part in a film called The Last Escape. She became well known in 1991 when she starred as Leticia in Muchachitas, a telenovela airing in several Latin American countries, as well as in La Reina del Sur and series "Dueños Del Paraiso" for the Telemundo network and in other telenovelas as a leading actress.
In 2002 and 2003, she embarked on an international tour alongside Argentine actor Saul Lisazo with the play Cartas de Amor (Love Letters). In November 2007, she was named one of the "Stars of the Year" and in 2011 one of the "25 most influential women" and "50 most beautiful" by People en Español magazine. In 2006, Del Castillo starred in the film Bordertown, which became her first role in Hollywood. In 2009, del Castillo was appointed Ambassador for the Mexican Commission on Human Rights and the following year she helped launch the Blue Heart Campaign in order to raise awareness and fight human trafficking. She starred in the film Colosio: El asesinato, which centers around the assassination of the Mexican presidential candidate Luis Donaldo Colosio.
In November 20th 2015 she launched in association with the Vivanco Family a new brand of tequila named Tequila Honor del Castillo. She is the spokesperson representing the brand.
|1978||Los de abajo||Film debut|
|1983||Las sobrinas del diablo|
|1990||El último escape||Bárbara|
|1991||Violencia en altamar|
|1994||Amor que mata|
|1997||Educación sexual en breves lecciones||Ana|
|1997||Reclusorio||Estrella Uribe||Segment: "Sangre entre Mujeres"|
|1999||Sendero mortal II|
|2004||Avisos de ocasión||Amanda|
|2006||Lime Salted Love||Isabella Triebel|
|2007||The Black Pimpernel||Consuelo Fuentes|
|2007||Under the Same Moon||Rosario|
|2009||Down for Life||Esther|
|2012||Colosio: El asesinato||Verónica|
|2013||A Miracle in Spanish Harlem||Eva|
|2014||El crimen del Cácaro Gumaro||Kate / Rosario|
|2014||No Good Deed||Alexis|
|2014||The Book of Life||La Muerte||Voice role|
|2016||El Americano: The Movie||Rayito||Voice role|
|1994||Imperio de cristal||Narda Lombardo|
|1995||Mujer, casos de la vida real||"Aunque parezca mentira" (Season 11, Episode 12)|
|1997||Alguna vez tendremos alas||Ana Hernández|
|1998||La mentira||Verónica Fernández-Negrete|
|2001||El derecho de nacer||María Elena del Junco|
|2002||American Family||Ofelia||10 episodes|
|2003||Bajo la misma piel||Miranda Murillo Ortiz|
|2004||Kate Del Castillo en La Riviera Maya||Kate||Television film|
|2009||The Cleaner||Josefina||"Does Everybody Have a Drink?" (Season 2, Episode 4)|
|2009||Vidas cruzadas||Mariana||Also executive producer|
|2011||La Reina del Sur||Teresa Mendoza||63 episodes|
|2011||CSI: Miami||Anita Torres||"Killer Regrets" (Season 10, Episode 5)|
|2012||Grimm||Valentina Espinosa||"La Llorona" (Season 2, Episode 9)|
|2013||Arranque de pasión||Ela Rivella|
|2013||Dallas||Sergeant Marisela Ruiz||"J.R.'s Masterpiece" (Season 2, Episode 8)|
|2014||Killer Women||Esmeralda Montero||"Queen Bee" (Season 1, Episode 8)|
|2015||Dueños del paraíso||Anastasia Cardona||69 episodes|
|2015||Jane the Virgin||Luciana Leon||
|2016||Telenovela||Kate||"Rivals" (Season 1, Episode 5)|
|Best Couple (with Iván Sánchez)||Nominated|
|Best Couple (with Rafael Amaya)|
One of her first known romantic relations was with Emilio Azcarraga Jean son of media mogul Emilio Azcárraga Milmo, and now CEO of the largest mass media company in Latin America, the Televisa Grup.
On February 3, 2001, she married football player Luis García. The marriage was dissolved on September 1, 2004. Del Castillo lives in Los Angeles. On August 22, 2005, it was reported by the LAPD that del Castillo's new house, in Los Angeles, had been broken into by thieves, who took some jewelry from the actress. del Castillo was in Los Angeles filming Bordertown, a film about the female homicides in Ciudad Juárez when the robbery occurred. In August 2009, del Castillo married Aarón Díaz in a Las Vegas ceremony. On July 26, 2011, it was announced that Kate and Díaz were separating.
Relation with and interview with El Chapo Guzman
On January 9, 2012, del Castillo publicly posted an essay talking about social issues in Mexico that included a controversial request to Joaquín Guzmán Loera, the then at-large head of the Sinaloa Cartel, on her Twextra page (which is associated with Twitter), stating:
"The government has numbed us, we are manupulated, and I say Mr. Chapo lets traffic with well-being, lets do good to the world, you know how to trade, deal with love, with good things'. "Life is a business and the only thing that changes is the merchandise. Don’t you agree?", “Mr Chapo, wouldn’t it be cool that you started trafficking with love?” "Today I believe more in Chapo Guzmán [than in] the government that hides painful truths from me, who hide the cure for cancer, AIDS, etc., for their own benefit and wealth."
Del Castillo was contacted by Guzman's lawyer to talk about producing a biographical film over Guzman in 2014. As a result, she was placed under CISEN surveillance. Communication increased following Guzman's escape from prison in July 2015. She brokered an interview between American actor Sean Penn and Guzmán in October 2015, shortly before Mexican Marines recaptured him. She received a cell phone (which was subsequently replaced once) and the codenames Hermosa and Dama from Guzman. Penn and del Castillo recommend the American lawyer Joshua L. Drakel. CISEN released photographs of del Castillo at the meetings and of the arrival of the actress and Sean Penn to Mexico.
Sean Penn and del Castillo's actions are under investigation by the PGR. She was subpoenaed on 18 January and will testify before the public prosecutor at the Mexican consulate in Los Angeles. She is under investigation as to whether del Castillo received illicit money to finance the planned movie about Guzman and her tequila brand Honor del Castillo.
On 5 February 2016, a Mexican judge granted del Castillo's petition for an injunction against any arrest related to the federal investigation into her ties with Joaquín Guzmán. The Mexican Attorney General issued a detain and interrogate order on del Castillo however, that would only become effective if del Castillo sets foot on Mexican soil, that order was issued after she did not heed a request to voluntarily appear before Mexican prosecutors.
- "Kate del Castillo una de los 50 más bellos". People en Español (in Spanish). 2011-04-24. Retrieved 2011-09-04.
- "Las 25 mujeres más poderosas". People en Español (in Spanish). 2011-09-27. Retrieved 2011-09-29.
- "5 Things To Know About Reina del Sur Star Kate del Castillo". People. 2011-03-25. Retrieved 2011-09-04.
- "Smitten with actress, Mexico's 'Chapo' tripped up by flirting". Reuters. Retrieved 14 January 2016.
- "Kate del Castillo, la nueva cara de PETA," Huffpost Voces, May 11, 2012.
- "Kate Del Castillo Has Some Words For Donald Trump And His Son". Latin Times. Retrieved 2016-01-18.
- "Governments are hiding the cures for cancer and AIDS". Twextra (in Spanish). 2012-01-09. Retrieved 2012-01-09.
- "Mexican actress: Drug lord could be 'hero of heroes'". CNN. 2012-01-11. Retrieved 2012-01-11.
- "Del Castillo praises Guzman in Twextra posting". MSNBC. 2012-01-11. Retrieved 2012-01-11.
- "I believe more in El Chapo Guzmán than in the governments". Forbes. 2012-01-11. Retrieved 2012-01-11.
- López-Dóriga, Joaquín. ""Ola ermoza"…". Milenio. Retrieved 13 January 2016.
- Penn, Sean (January 9, 2016). "El Chapo Speaks". Rolling Stone. Retrieved January 10, 2016.
- Loret de Moda, Carlos. "'Hermosa', el nombre clave de Kate". El Universal. Retrieved 13 January 2016.
- "Mexico mounted huge manhunt to catch "El Chapo" Guzman". Associated Press. Retrieved 13 January 2016.
- "Kate del Castillo subpoenaed by Mexican prosecutors over 'Chapo' Guzmán dealing". Fox News Latino. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- "'El Chapo' associate Kate del Castillo investigated, Mexican official says". CNN. Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- "Mexican judge grants Del Castillo protection against arrest". Fox News (FOX News Network, LLC). 6 February 2016. Retrieved 9 February 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kate del Castillo.|
- Kate del Castillo's Official Website
- Kate del Castillo's Official Fan Club
- Kate del Castillo at the Internet Movie Database
- Kate del Castillo at Rotten Tomatoes
- Vidas Cruzadas - Webnovela
- Tequila Honor del Castillo Official Website