Kathai Thiraikathai Vasanam Iyakkam
|Kathai Thiraikathai Vasanam Iyakkam|
|Directed by||R. Parthiepan|
|Produced by||K. Chandramohan|
|Edited by||R. Sudharsan|
Kathai Thiraikathai Vasanam Iyakkam (English: Story, Screenplay, Dialogue, Direction; also referred to as KTVI) is a 2014 Tamil independent satirical art film written and directed by R. Parthiepan and produced by K. Chandramohan. The project stars an all-new cast in the lead roles along with several experienced actors in cameo roles and becomes Parthiepan's first directorial film in which he does not feature in the lead role. The film, which has a tagline reading "a film without a story", began production in late 2013 and released on 15 August 2014.
- Santhosh Prathap as Thamizh
- Akhila Kishore as Daksha
- Dinesh Natarajan as Arvind
- Lallu Prasath as Murthy
- Sahithya Jagannathan as Shirley
- Vijay Ram as Murali
- Mahalakshmi as Deepa / Roopa
- Thambi Ramaiah as Seenu
Guest appearances by (in alphabetical order):
- Arjun Nandhakumar
- A. L. Azhagappan
- Amala Paul
- Arun Benny
- Dhananjayan Govind
- Iyshwarya Rajesh
- Mia George
- Narayan Lucky
- Prakash Raj
- Raghava Lawrence
- Rahul Madhav
- Roopa Shree
- Shanthnu Bhagyaraj
- Taapsee Pannu
- Venkat Prabhu
- Vijay Sethupathi
- Vishnu Raghav
In February 2013, actor-director R. Parthiepan announced that he would write and direct his twelfth feature film and title it Kathai Thiraikathai Vasanam Iyakkam, noting that he would not act in the film unlike his previous ventures. The film began its shoot in December 2013 after Parthiepan had completed his acting assignments, with a schedule taking place in Chennai.
While newcomers were signed for the lead roles, several popular actors from the Tamil film industry were offered to play cameo roles in the film. Vijay Sethupathi first shot scenes for a day and did not take any remuneration for his participation and Parthiepan stated that Arya, Amala Paul,Nazriya and Prakash Raj were the other actors who had agreed to make cameo appearances. Amala Paul was subsequently requested to appear in an extended cameo role and agreed to continue filming for scenes in Coimbatore. She shot along with Arya, whose role was also extended. Nazriya meanwhile got engaged and backed out of all her projects she had accepted, including Kathai Thiraikathai Vasanam Iyakkam and instead Taapsee Pannu worked on the film for one day. It was reported that Suriya and Dhanush were also approached which was not confirmed by the director, who instead informed that Vishal would act in a few scenes. One of the film's lead actresses was revealed to be Akhila Kishore, a model who had appeared in few Kannada films.
|Kathai Thiraikathai Vasanam Iyakkam|
|Soundtrack album by|
The soundtrack album has four tracks composed by four different artists Alphons Joseph, Sharreth, Vijay Antony and S. Thaman. The title song by Alphons Joseph was released as a single track on 12 May 2014 at Suriyan FM, the full album was launched on 25 May 2014. Parthiepan had stated that Yuvan Shankar Raja had agreed to compose a song for the film and that actress Simran had recorded a song in April 2014. The soundtrack album did not feature a song by neither artist, however. Actress Sneha too had recorded a song for the film, singing the pallavi and a charanam, but as she wasn't happy about the outcome, she suggested that a professional singer replace her.
|1.||"Kaathil Kathai Iruku"||Madhan Karky||Alphons Joseph||Alphons Joseph||7:16|
|2.||"Pen Maegam Polavae"||Na. Muthukumar||Sharreth||G. V. Prakash Kumar, Saindhavi||4:40|
|3.||"A for Azhagirukku"||Madhan Karky||Vijay Antony||Ramya NSK||4:03|
|4.||"Live the moment"||Madhan Karky||S. Thaman||Haricharan, Venkat Prabhu, Premgi Amaren, Nakul, Shanthanu Bhagyaraj||4:26|
|5.||"Pen Maegam Polavae (Version 2)"||Na. Muthukumar||Sharreth||G. V. Prakash Kumar, Saindhavi||4:26|
Baradwaj Rangan of The Hindu wrote "For a good part, it just wants to make us laugh — and that it does very well. The one-liners and Parthiban’s trademark dialogues are funny enough to camouflage the fact that this is actually a pretty serious premise...Kathai Thiraikathai (Vasanam Iyakkam), for the most part, is borne along rhythms that are slightly off-kilter, and it has the snap of a student film". The Times of India gave the film 3.5 stars out of 5 and wrote, "Radhakrishnan Parthiban and his films can sometimes come across as oversmart, and being quirky just for the sake of being so. But in Kathai Thiraikathai Vasanam Iyakkam, this oversmartness and quirkiness lend freshness to a regular one-line plot. The film proudly wears these two elements on its sleeves and feels fresh and zany". The New Indian Express wrote, "With his refreshing screenplay and an unconventional narrative style Parthiepan makes a bold and successful attempt to veer cinema from its routine beaten path...the film packs enough punch to make it worthwhile for audiences, to experience a celluloid journey that is intriguing and fascinating. Kathai (Thiraikathai Vasanam Iyakkam) comes as a whiff of fresh air".
Sify wrote, "Kathai Thirakathai Vasanam Iyakkam...is fairly a decent and fresh approach to filmmaking...The film works largely on Parthipan’s smart writing and his humour laced sarcastic dialogues". Indiaglitz gave the film a rating of 3 and wrote, "in one of the most captivating screenplays of recent times, with hardly any concrete story to stick to and an unbelievable climax, Parthiepan has ensured that Kathai Thiraikathai Vasanam Iyakkam is one of a kind of an entertainer that glues you to the seat all the two and half hours,without any worry of the clock ticking". Behindwoods gave 2.75 stars out of 5 and wrote: "Sharp dialogues, wit, Thambi Ramiah and screenplay experimentation make KTVI a good ride".
- "Shotcuts: It's different! - The Hindu". thehindu.com. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Interesting title for Parthiban's next !, r parthiban, Parthiban". behindwoods.com. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "The shoot of Kathai Thiraikathai Vasanam Iyakkam, directed by Parthipan started on the 15th of Decem". behindwoods.com. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Events - Kathai Thiraikathai Vasanam Iyakkam on location". IndiaGlitz.com. 2 April 2014. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- "Vijay Sethupathi aka Vijay Sethupathy in Parthiban's Kadhai Thiraikadhai Vasanam Iyakkam". Behindwoods.com. 27 January 2014. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- "Arya, Amala Paul, Nazriya, Prakash Raj in a cameo - The Times of India". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- "Amala`s extended cameo in KTVI". sify.com. Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- "Arya gets married to Amala second time!". Sify.com. 25 March 2014. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- Subha J. Rao (27 March 2014). "Team player". The Hindu. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- "Nazriya gives back advance money - Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz.com. 3 April 2014. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- Subha J Rao (1 April 2014). "Where's the story?". The Hindu. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- S. R. Ashok Kumar (28 March 2014). "Shotcuts: It's getting bigger!". The Hindu. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- "Suriya or Dhanush for Parthepan's film? - The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 23 March 2014. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- "Simran croons for Parthepan's film - The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 20 April 2014. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- "Parthepan moulded me as an actor: Akhila - The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- "NEW YEAR 2015 SPECIAL PROGRAMS IN STAR VIJAY CHANNEL ON 01/01/2015, 01/01/2015 PUTHANDU SIRAPPU PROGRAMS VIJAY TV". Indreporter. 31 December 2014. Retrieved 21 September 2015.