Katharine Sweeney Hayden
|Katherine Sweeney Hayden|
|Senior Judge of the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey|
Assumed office |
May 30, 2010
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey|
September 29, 1997 – May 30, 2010
|Appointed by||Bill Clinton|
|Preceded by||H. Lee Sarokin|
|Succeeded by||Esther Salas|
May 30, 1942
New York City, New York
Marymount Manhattan College (B.A.)|
Seton Hall University (M.A.)
Seton Hall University School of Law (J.D.)
Katharine Sweeney Hayden (born May 30, 1942) is a Senior United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey.
Early life and education
This section does not cite any sources. (April 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Born in New York City, Hayden earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from Marymount Manhattan College in 1963, a Master of Arts from Seton Hall University in 1971, and a Juris Doctor from Seton Hall University School of Law in 1975.
She was a law clerk for Judge Robert L. Clifford of the New Jersey Supreme Court from 1975-76. After her clerkship she became an Assistant United States Attorney at the United States Attorney's Office for the District of New Jersey from 1976-78. She was in private matrimonial law practice in New Jersey from 1978-91, and then became a judge for the New Jersey Superior Court (Family Division) from 1991-97.
Federal judicial service
Hayden was nominated by President Bill Clinton on May 6, 1997, to a seat on the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey vacated by H. Lee Sarokin. She was confirmed by the United States Senate on September 25, 1997, and received her commission four days later.
Hayden assumed senior status on May 30, 2010. Hayden continues her connection to her alma mater, Seton Hall University School of Law, serving as an adjunct professor teaching course on Persuasion & Advocacy and Sentencing, and frequently employing Seton Hall Law students as judicial clerks and interns.
- Judiciary, United States Congress Senate Committee on the (January 1, 1995). "Confirmation Hearings on Federal Appointments: Hearings Before the Committee on the Judiciary, United States Senate, One Hundred Third Congress, First Session on Confirmations of Appointees to the Federal Judiciary". U.S. Government Printing Office – via Google Books.
- Duger, Rose (September 29, 2011). "Kearny, NAACP reach hiring agreement". NJ.com. New Jersey On-Line LLC. Retrieved 2011-10-21.
- Hoffman, Jan (October 15, 1995). "Judge Hayden's Family Values". The New York Times. Retrieved September 14, 2015.
- Biography, fjc.gov; accessed April 7, 2018.
- Pristin, Terry (February 12, 1997). "New Jersey Daily Briefing: Nominated to Federal Bench". The New York Times. Retrieved September 14, 2015.
H. Lee Sarokin
| Judge of the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey