|Died||June 1, 2015 (aged 29)|
|Cause of death||Lion attack|
|Occupation||Visual effects editor|
Katherine "Kate" Chappell (December 19, 1985 – June 1, 2015) was an American film visual effects editor who worked on Game of Thrones. On June 1, 2015, she died after being attacked by a lioness in Johannesburg.
Chappell was born on December 19, 1985. She lived with her parents, Jonathan and Mary Elaine Chappell, two sisters and a brother in Westchester County, New York. She graduated from Hofstra University in Long Island. Chappell had lived in Vancouver since 2013. She was a visual effects editor of Game of Thrones, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Divergent, and Godzilla. Chappell was on the team that won a Primetime Emmy Award for the episode "The Children" in the fourth season of Game of Thrones.
On June 1, 2015, Chappell was visiting Johannesburg's Lion Park when a lion lunged through the window of her vehicle, which she had opened to lean out and take photographs, against park rules, and bit her on the neck. Chappell died in Lion Park of her wounds before the paramedics arrived. Chappell was visiting South Africa to work on the conservation of wildlife, and was raising funds for Wildlife ACT, a conservation charity.
- "'Game Of Thrones' Editor, Katherine Chappell, Mauled To Death By Lion In Tragic Accident". The Huffington Post. 3 June 2015.
- Sam Webb (3 June 2015). "South Africa Lion Park death: American tourist killed by predator identified as 29-year-old wildlife conservationist". mirror.
- Henry Austin and Katy Tur/NBC News (3 June 2015). "Lion Attack Victim Katherine Chappell Worked on 'Game of Thrones'". TIME.com.
- "Game of Thrones Editor Katherine Chappell Mauled to Death By Lion - Us Weekly". usmagazine.com. 3 June 2015.
- Snowdon, Kathryn (3 June 2015). "Game Of Thrones Editor, Katherine Chappell, Mauled To Death By A Lion At South African Safari Park". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 3 June 2015.
- Variety Staff. "'Game of Thrones' editor killed by lion in South Africa". bostonherald.com.
- Eleftheriou-Smith, Loulla-Mae (3 June 2015). "Katherine Chappell: American woman killed by lion worked for Game of Thrones and wanted to 'protect wildlife'". London: The Independent. Retrieved 3 June 2015.