Katherine Emmons Force
|Katherine Emmons Force|
Katherine Emmons Force circa 1915
March 12, 1891|
Brooklyn, New York, U.S.
|Died||September 8, 1956
Newport, Rhode Island, U.S.
|Cause of death||Heart attack|
|Spouse(s)||Lorillard Suydam Spencer
(m. 1922; his death 1939)
|Parent(s)||William Hurlburt Force
Katherine Arvilla Talmage
|Relatives||Madeleine Talmage Force (sister)
John Jacob Astor VI (nephew)
Katherine Emmons Force was born on March 12, 1891 in Brooklyn, New York. She was the elder daughter of William Hurlbut Force and Katherine Arvilla Talmage. Her sister Madeleine (1893–1940) was the widow of Colonel John Jacob Astor IV (1864–1912) of the Astor family.
Force married Lorillard Suydam Spencer on December 6, 1922. Together they had two sons, Stephen Wolcott Spencer (April 22, 1925 – July 21, 2010) and William Hurlbut Force Spencer (June 13, 1927-October 3, 2013).
- "Mrs. Lorillard Spencer. Widow of New York Banker, a Resident of Newport, Dies". The New York Times. September 9, 1956. Retrieved 2015-02-28.
Mrs. Katherine Force Spencer of Chasteullux, Newport, died at her home this morning of a heart attack. She was 63 years old....
- "How the Beautiful Katherine Force, Sister of Madeleine, Who Was Mrs. John Jacob Astor and Is Now Mrs. Dick, and Other Society Girls Are Carving Out Careers for Themselves' by Hard Work". The Milwaukee Journal. July 25, 1920.
- "Miss Katherine Force To Wed Major Spencer. Their Marriage to Take Place Tomorrow at the Home of Her Sister, Mrs. William K. Dick". The New York Times. December 5, 1922. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
Although the engagement of Miss Katherine E. Force, daughter of Mrs. William H. Force, to Major Lorillard Spencer has never been formally announced, it has been rumored for some time, and their wedding will take place tomorrow at the home of Mrs. William K. Dick, 7 East Eighty-fourth Street. Mrs. Dick, who was formerly Mrs. John Jacob Astor, is Miss Force's sister.
- United Press (June 12, 1939). "Lorillard Spencer Dead". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2010-10-19.
Lorillard Spencer 56 former executive in several airplane companies and prominent in Newport society died at his home Friday after a long illness.....
- "Stephen W. Spencer". July 29, 2010. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
Born in New York, NY, on April 22, 1925, he was the son of the late Katherine (Force) and Lorillard Spencer. His father was a highly decorated World War I veteran.....