Schwarzenegger at the World Dog Awards in January 2015
Katherine Eunice Schwarzenegger|
December 13, 1989
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of Southern California|
Gustav Schwarzenegger (grandfather)|
See Kennedy family
Katherine Eunice Schwarzenegger (born December 13, 1989) is an American author and the oldest daughter of actor/politician Arnold Schwarzenegger and broadcast journalist Maria Shriver. A member of the Kennedy family, Schwarzenegger is a grandniece of John F. Kennedy, the 35th President of the United States.
Katherine was born and raised in Los Angeles, California. She is the oldest child of actor and politician Arnold Schwarzenegger (Austrian-born), and journalist and author Maria Shriver (of Irish and German descent), whose mother Eunice is a younger sister of former U.S. President John F. Kennedy, and father Sargent Shriver was a U.S. Ambassador to France and the Democratic nominee for Vice President of the United States in the 1972 election. She has a younger sister, Christina Schwarzenegger, and two younger brothers, Patrick and Christopher Schwarzenegger. Through her father, she also has a half-brother, Joseph Baena.
In May 2012, Schwarzenegger graduated with a degree in Communications from the USC Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism at the University of Southern California. Her mother delivered the commencement address for the satellite ceremony for the school. In July 2018, it was confirmed that she is dating actor Chris Pratt.
In 2010, Schwarzenegger wrote a book entitled Rock What You've Got: Secrets to Loving Your Inner and Outer Beauty from Someone Who's Been There and Back. Schwarzenegger uses the book to describe her personal journey and encourage other young women to achieve confidence and a positive self-image. She had body-image issues between fourth and seventh grade, but now controls her physical and mental health with walking exercises and yoga.
After graduating from college in 2012 and unsure of her next steps, Schwarzenegger sought career advice from a variety of people, including athletes, singers, entrepreneurs and actors. She compiled their wisdom into her second book— I Just Graduated . . . Now What?—which was released in 2014 as a “survival guide” for recent college grads.
In 2017, Schwarzenegger authored a children’s book, Maverick and Me. The book tells the story of how Schwarzenegger rescued and subsequently adopted her dog, Maverick. Using her own experience as a “foster fail” (when a foster home turns into a “furever” home), the book touts the benefits of pet adoption and rescue.
- Schwarzenegger, Katherine (2010). Rock What You've Got: Secrets to Loving Your Inner and Outer Beauty from Someone Who's Been There and Back. Voice Publishing. ISBN 1-4013-4143-8.
- Schwarzenegger, Katherine (2014). I Just Graduated ... Now What?: Honest Answers from Those Who Have Been There. Crown Archetype. ISBN 978-0385347204.
- Schwarzenegger, Katherine (2017). Maverick and Me. ISBN 978-0824956875
- "California Births, 1905 - 1995". Familytreelegends.com. Retrieved 2014-08-19.
- "Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger's Brentwood High School Commencement Speech". gov.ca.gov. June 7, 2008. Archived from the original on June 18, 2008. Retrieved June 22, 2008.
- Pace, Eric (July 24, 1991). "Chronicle". New York Times. Retrieved April 18, 2008.
- Brozan, Nadine (September 21, 1993). "Chronicle". New York Times. Retrieved April 18, 2008.
- Brozan, Nadine (September 30, 1997). "Chronicle". New York Times. Retrieved April 18, 2008.
- "Arnie 'Bought Home For Love Child And Mum'". Sky News. May 20, 2011. Retrieved May 20, 2011.[permanent dead link]
- "Schwarzenegger's son with housekeeper born days after Shriver gave birth". Chicago Tribune. Archived from the original on 2011-06-17.
- "Read Katherine Schwarzenegger's 'Rock What You've Got'", Good Morning America, September 16, 2010
- "Rock What You've Got: Secrets to Loving Your Inner and Outer Beauty from Someone Who's Been There and Back", Publishers Weekly, December 20, 2010. Retrieved 2014-01-28.
- "Katherine Schwarzenegger shares advice on body image", USA Today, September 13, 2010. Retrieved 2014-01-28.
- McKenzie, Lesley. "I Just Graduated...Now What? Katherine Schwarzenegger Shares the Best Advice from Her New Book". Teen Vogue. Retrieved 2018-05-16.
- Wong, Stephanie. "You Should Fail to Succeed — Katherine Schwarzenegger Tells Us Why". POPSUGAR Career and Finance. Retrieved 2018-05-16.
- "Schwarzenegger daughter puts heart into book about adopting dog". ajc. Retrieved 2018-05-10.
- FOX. "Katherine Schwarzenegger: Holiday gifts that give back". KTTV. Retrieved 2018-05-10.