Kathgodam railway station
|Indian Railway Station|
|Location||NH 87, Kathgodam, Uttarakhand|
|Elevation||520 metres (1,710 ft)|
|Owned by||Indian Railways|
|Operated by||Izzatnagar railway division|
|Structure type||at grade|
|Fare zone||North Eastern Railway|
The station code is KGM and is 99 km from the headquarters of the Izzatnagar railway division of North Eastern Railway Zone of Indian Railways. There are three platforms. A single broad gauge railway line serves diesel trains.
The railway station is located in Kathgodam city at the foot of shivalik hills at a distance of 35 km from Nainital. It is located at 520 m above Mean Sea Level. The nearest airport is Pantnagar Airport at the distance of 28 km.
Kathgodam Railway Station is linked by roads to inner Himalayan region of Kumaon. It is connected to Nainital via Jeolikote, which is connected to Almora, Ranikhet, Baijnath, Gwaldam, Bageshwar and further eastwards to Pithoragarh.
By the end of 19th Century, Kathgodam formed one end of the 66 mile long Rohilkund and Kumaon Railway, a private line that connected Kathgodam to Bareilly. The Rohilkund and Kumaon Railway was transferred to the Government of India and merged into the Oudh and Tirhut Railway on 1 January 1943. On 14 April 1952, the Oudh Tirhut Railway was amalgamated with the Assam Railway and the Kanpur-Achnera section of the Bombay, Baroda and Central India Railway to form North Eastern Railway, one of the 16 zones of the current Indian Railways.
- Uttarakhand Sampark Kranti Express
- New Delhi Kathgodam Shatabdi Express
- Jammu Tawi Kathgodam Garib Rath Express
- Kathgodam Kanpur Central Garib Rath Express
- Lucknow Junction - Kathgodam Express
- Kathgodam Express
- Ranikhet Express
- Bagh Express
- Kathgodam – Moradabad Passenger (via Kashipur)
- Kathgodam – Moradabad Passenger
- The Indian Railway Gazette, Volume 68. 1970. p. 351. Retrieved 10 January 2017. "KATHGODAM is a railway station on the North Eastern Railway."
- Kapadia, Harish (1999). Across peaks & passes in Kumaun Himalaya. New Delhi: Indus Publ. Co. p. 215. ISBN 9788173870965. "Kathgodam: Railway Station at the foothill of the Shiwaliks. It is major entrance point to several areas of the Kumaun."
- Kishore, B.R. (2008). India : a travel guide. New Delhi: Fusion Books. p. 278. ISBN 9788128400674. Retrieved 11 January 2017. "NAINITAL; Railway Station : Kathgodam 35 kms [sic]"
- "Departures from KGM/Kathgodam (3 PFs)". Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- Pandey, Dinesh Chandra; Pandey, Puran C. Environmental Resources and Tourism Development in the Himalaya. Anamika Publishers & Distributors. p. 82. ISBN 9788179750544. Retrieved 10 January 2017.
- Abram, David (2003). The Rough Guide to India (5th ed.). New York: Rough Guides. p. 364. ISBN 9781843530893. Retrieved 11 January 2017. "Shared taxis and Jeeps regularly ply the route between Tallital, Haldwani and Kathgodam, the latter being the main railway station for Nainital."
- "Imperial Gazetteer2 of India, Volume 18, page 329 -- Imperial Gazetteer of India -- Digital South Asia Library". dsal.uchicago.edu. Retrieved 11 January 2017. "The only Railway is the Rohilkhand-Kumaun line from Bareilly to Kathgodam at the foot of the hills below Naini Tal"
- Hunter, W. W. (1886). The Imperial Gazetteer of India. London: Trubner & Co. p. 397.
|url=(help) "The Kumaun-Rohilkhand railway, a private line, connects Bareli with Kathgodam (66 miles), at the foot of the Himalayas, on the road to Naini Tal."
- Rao, M.A. (1988). Indian Railways. New Delhi: National Book Trust. p. 37.
- "Chapter 1 - Evolution of Indian Railways-Historical Background". Ministry of Railways website.
- "Kathgodam Shatabdi daily from May 5". New Delhi: The Hindu. PTI. 22 April 2016. Retrieved 10 January 2017.
- Duttagupta, Samonway (6 May 2016). "Did you know? This new train can take you to these 5 offbeat places in Uttarakhand!". India Today. Retrieved 10 January 2017.
- Yadav, Ankit (7 February 2015). "City welcomes Lko-Kathgodam express train - Times of India". Lucknow: The Times of India. TNN. Retrieved 10 January 2017.
- "Rajnath Singh to Inaugurate Lucknow-Kathgodam Express". NDTV.com. Lucknow: NDTV. PTI. 5 February 2015. Retrieved 10 January 2017.
- Siddiqui, Shahla; Upadhyay, Vineet (23 December 2014). "Dense fog throws throws train, road travel out of gear - Times of India". Dehradun/Haldwani: The Times of India. TNN. Retrieved 10 January 2017. "Railway officials said because of the delay, pairing trains like Kathgodam Express, which runs between Dehradun to Kathgodam, is also running late. As a result, short distance travelling by locals has been affected."
- "Trains via Ghaziabad to be diverted". Lucknow: The Times of India. TNN. 22 October 2011. Retrieved 10 January 2017. "15014 Kathgodam-Delhi Jn Rankihet Express will be diverted to run via Moradabad-Tapri-Shamli."
- Mullick, Rohit (1 July 2012). "Railways introduces new Rohtak-Panipat passenger train". Chandigarh: The Times of India. TNN. Retrieved 10 January 2017. "Similarly, Kathgodam-Delhi-Ranikhet express has been extended up to Jodhpur and it would benefit the people of Gurgaon, Pataudi Road and Rewari, said railway officials."
- Singh, Rao Jaswant (26 February 2015). "Modernize Gurgaon station, run EMUs to Delhi, MP urges Prabhu - Times of India". Gurgaon: The Times of India. TNN. Retrieved 10 January 2017.
- Tiwari, Mrigank (16 February 2015). "Armed goons commit dacoity onboard Howrah Kathgodam Bagh Express - Times of India". Bareilly: The Times of India. TNN. Retrieved 10 January 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kathgodam railway station.|