|Residence||Bloomington, Indiana, United States|
|Thesis||A functional approach to English sentence stress (1983)|
|Doctoral students||Scott Jarvis|
|Website||Bardovi-Harlig on the website of Indiana University|
Her primary research interests are second-language temporality and tense-mood-aspect systems and interlanguage pragmatics.
Bardovi-Harlig is credited for the creation of the Coordination Index (CI) which was published in the TESOL Quarterly in 1992 and since then has been considered as the only reliable measure of coordination.
- 1999: Distinguished Research Award (co-author: Zoltán Dörnyei)
- Bardovi-Harlig, K. (2000). Tense and aspect in second language acquisition: Form, meaning, and use. Oxford: Blackwell.
- Bardovi-Harlig, K., & Hartford, B. (Eds.) (2005). Interlanguage Pragmatics: Exploring Institutional Talk. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Bardovi-Harlig, K., & Mahan-Taylor, R. (2003). Teaching Pragmatics. Washington, DC: United States Department of State.
- Bardovi-Harlig, K. (2012). Second language acquisition. In R. Binnick (Ed.) Handbook of tense and aspect (pp. 481-503). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Bardovi-Harlig, K. (2012). Pragmatics in SLA. In S. M. Gass & A. Mackey (Eds.) The Routledge handbook of second language acquisition (pp. 147–162). London: Routledge/Taylor Francis.
- Bardovi-Harlig, K. (1992). A second look at T-unit analysis: Reconsidering the sentence. TESOL Quarterly, 26, 390-395.
- Bardovi-Harlig, K. (1992). The use of adverbials and natural order in the development of temporal expression. IRAL, 30, 299-320.
- Bardovi-Harlig, K. (1992). The relationship of form and meaning: A cross-sectional study of tense and aspect in the interlanguage of learners of English as a second language. Applied Psycholinguistics , 13, 253-278.
- Bardovi-Harlig, K., & Hartford, B. S. (1993). Learning the rules of academic talk: A longitudinal study of pragmatic development. Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 15, 279-304.
- Bardovi-Harlig, K. (1994). Reverse-order reports and the acquisition of tense: Beyond the principle of chronological order. Language Learning, 44, 243-282.
- Bardovi-Harlig, K., & Reynolds, D. W. (1995). The role of lexical aspect in the acquisition of tense and aspect. TESOL Quarterly, 29, 107-131.
- Bardovi-Harlig, K. (1995). A narrative perspective on the development of the tense/aspect system in second language acquisition. Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 17, 263-291.
- Bardovi-Harlig, K., & Hartford, B. S. (1996). Input in an institutional setting. Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 18, 171-188.
- Bardovi-Harlig, K., & Bergström, A. (1996). The acquisition of tense and aspect in SLA and FLL: A study of learner narratives in English (SL) and French (FL). Canadian Modern Language Review, 52, 308-330.
- Bardovi-Harlig, K. (1997b). Assessing grammatical development in interactional contexts. TESOL Quarterly, 31, 797-806.
- Bardovi-Harlig, K. (1997). Another piece of the puzzle: The emergence of the present perfect. Language Learning, 47, 375-422.
- Bardovi-Harlig, K., & Dörnyei, Z. (1998). Do language learners recognize pragmatic violations? Pragmatic vs. grammatical awareness in instructed L2 learning. TESOL Quarterly, 32, 233-259.
- Bardovi-Harlig, K. (1998). Narrative structure and lexical aspect: Conspiring factors in second language acquisition of tense-aspect morphology. Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 20, 471-508.
- Bardovi-Harlig, K. (1999). Exploring the interlanguage of interlanguage pragmatics: A research agenda for acquisitional pragmatics. Language Learning, 49, 677-713.
- Bardovi-Harlig, K. (1999). From morpheme studies to temporal semantics: Tense-aspect research in SLA. State of the art article. Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 21(3), 341-382.
- Bardovi-Harlig, K. (2002). A New Starting Point? Investigating Formulaic Use and Input. Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 24, 189-198.
- Bardovi-Harlig, K., & Griffin, R. (2005). L2 Pragmatic Awareness: Evidence from the ESL Classroom. System, 33, 401-415
- Wulff, S., Ellis, N. C., Römer, U., Bardovi-Harlig, K., & LeBlanc, C. J. (2009). The acquisition of tense-aspect: Converging evidence from corpora, cognition, and learner constructions. Modern Language Journal, 93, 336-369.
- Bardovi-Harlig, K., & Stringer, D. (2010). Variables in second language attrition: Advancing the state of the art. Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 32, 1-45.
- Bardovi-Harlig, K., & Vellenga, H. E. (2012). The effect of instruction on conventional expressions in L2 pragmatics. System, 40, 77-89.
- Bardovi-Harlig, K. (2012). Formulas, routines, and conventional expressions in pragmatics research. ARAL, 32, 206-227.
- Bardovi-Harlig, K. (2013). Developing L2 pragmatics. Language Learning, 63:Suppl.1, 68–86.
- Bardovi-Harlig, K. (2014). Awareness of meaning of conventional expressions in second language pragmatics. Language Awareness, 23, 41-56. doi 10.1080/09658416.2013.863894
- Bardovi-Harlig, K., Mossman, S., & Vellenga, H. E. (2015). The effect of instruction on pragmatic routines in academic discussion. Language Teaching Research, 19, 324-350. doi: 10.1177/1362168814541739
- Bardovi-Harlig, K. (2015). Disinvitations: You're not invited to my birthday party! Journal of Pragmatics, 75, 91-110. doi:10.1016/j.pragma.2014.10.010
- Bardovi-Harlig, K., & Stringer, D. (2017). Unconventional expressions: Productive syntax in the L2 acquisition of formulaic language. Second Language Research, 33, 61-90.
- Bardovi-Harlig, K., & Su, Y. (2018). The acquisition of conventional expressions as a pragmalinguistic resource in Chinese as a foreign language. Modern Language Journal, 102, 732–757.
- Bardovi-Harlig, K. (2019). Invitations as request-for-service mitigators in academic discourse. Journal of Pragmatics, 139, 64-78.
- "Kathleen Bardovi-Harlig". Indiana University. 22 February 2001. Retrieved 24 April 2019.
- "Graduate Alumni (1951-present) | Department of Linguistics". linguistics.uchicago.edu. Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- "Past Presidents - American Association for Applied Linguistics". www.aaal.org. Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- "Kathleen Bardovi-Harlig | Sci-napse | Academic search engine for paper". Scinapse. Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- Bardovi-Harlig, Kathleen (1992). "A second look at T‐unit analysis: Reconsidering the sentence. TESOL Quarterly,". TESOL Quarterly. 26: 390–395.