|This article does not cite any sources. (December 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Kathleen B. Burke|
Kathleen Burke as Lota the "Panther Woman" in Island of Lost Souls
September 5, 1913|
Hammond, Indiana, U.S.
|Died||April 9, 1980
Columbus Hospital, Chicago, Illinois, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Glen Nelson Rardin (1933-1934) (divorced)
Jose Torres Fernandez (1936-?) (divorced) 1 child
Forrest L. Smith
Kathleen B. Burke (September 5, 1913 — April 9, 1980) was an American movie actress of the 1930s, and former model.
Burke worked as a dental assistant in Chicago, before winning a talent contest sponsored by Paramount Pictures to play Lota the "Panther Woman" in Island of Lost Souls (released December 1932), the first screen version of H.G. Wells's novel The Island of Dr. Moreau. The contest, announced in July 1932, allegedly had 60,000 applicants from around the country. Burke was announced as the winner on September 29.
This success led to more than a score of screen appearances over the following six years, most notably as the leading lady in The Lives of a Bengal Lancer (1935) opposite Gary Cooper, and The Last Outpost with Cary Grant that same year. Her final film role was in 1938, whereupon she retired from screen acting at the age of 25.
- Island of Lost Souls (1932)
- Murders in the Zoo (1933)
- Sunset Pass (1933)
- Torch Singer (1933) (uncredited)
- The Mad Game (1933)
- Six of a Kind (1934) (uncredited)
- Good Dame (1934)
- School for Girls (1934)
- Bulldog Drummond Strikes Back (1934) (uncredited)
- The Merry Widow (1934) (uncredited)
- The Lives of a Bengal Lancer (1935)
- Rocky Mountain Mystery (1935)
- Mutiny Ahead (1935)
- The Awakening of Jim Burke (1935)
- Navy Wife (1935)
- The Last Outpost (1935)
- Nevada (1935)
- The Lion Man (1936)
- Craig's Wife (1936)
- The Sheik Steps Out (1937)
- Boy of the Streets (1938)
- Rascals (1938)
- Kathleen Burke; findagrave.com retrieved July 29, 2015
- Kathleen Burke on Internet Movie Database
- Kathleen Burke at AllMovie
- Photographs and literature
- Kathleen Burke Wins Nationwide Contest! The Road to Panther Woman in Island of Lost Souls
|This article about a United States film actor or actress born in the 1910s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|