Kathleen McKeown is an American computer scientist, specializing in natural language processing. She is currently the Henry and Gertrude Rothschild Professor of Computer Science and Director of the Institute for Data Sciences and Engineering at Columbia University.
McKeown received her B.A. from Brown University in 1976 and her PhD in Computer Science in 1982 from the University of Pennsylvania and has spent her career at Columbia. She was the first woman to be tenured in the university's School of Engineering and Applied Science and was the first woman to serve as Chair of the Department of Computer Science, from 1998 to 2003. She has also served as Vice Dean for Research in the School of Engineering and Applied Science.
She has held the positions of President, Vice President, and Secretary-Treasurer of the Association for Computational Linguistics and has been a board member and secretary of the board of the Computing Research Association.
McKeown's research focuses on natural language processing and has included the Newsblaster multi-document summarization program to derive summary news stories from the contents of a number of news sites; for a few years this included multilingual news.
- 1985 Presidential Young Investigator Award, National Science Foundation
- 1991 Faculty Award for Women, National Science Foundation
- 1994 AAAI Fellow
- 2003 ACM Fellow
- 2010 Anita Borg Institute Women of Vision Award in Innovation
- 2012 Association for Computational Linguistics founding Fellow
- Text Generation: Using Discourse Strategies and Focus Constraints to Generate Natural Language Text. Studies in natural language processing. Cambridge/New York: Cambridge University, 1985, 2nd ed. 1992. ISBN 9780521301169.
- with Ani Nenkova. Automatic Summarization. Foundations and Trends in Information Retrieval 5:2–3. Hanover, Massachusetts: Now, 2011. ISBN 9781601984708.
- "Kathleeen McKeown | Summarizing the News (Automatically), Columbia Engineering, Columbia University, January 13, 2011.
- Kathleen Rose McKeown, "Generating natural language text in response to questions about database structure", PhD dissertation, University of Pennsylvania, 1982, OCLC 10329013.
- Karla Jimenez, "Columbia honors professors in Low", Columbia Daily Spectator, October 22, 2010.
- Kathleen R. McKeown et al., "Tracking and summarizing news on a daily basis with Columbia's Newsblaster", HLT 2002: Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Human Language Technology Research, ed. Mitchell Marcus, San Francisco: Morgan Kaufmann, 2002, ISBN 9780124708709, pp. 280–85.
- Amy Hadfield, "An interview with Kathleen McKeown of Newsblaster", SFN blog, World Association of Newspapers and News Publishers (WAN-IFRA), August 29, 2012.
- "Prof. McKeown a Woman of Vision", Columbia Engineering, Columbia University, March 3, 2010.
- Kathleen McKeown 2010 Women of Vision Award Winner Acceptance Speech, Anita Borg Institute, YouTube, May 21, 2010 (video)
- "CS Professors Named Founding Fellows of Association for Computational Linguistics ", Columbia Engineering, Columbia University, February 20, 2012.
- Kathleen McKeown's faculty page at Columbia University