Kathleen Sullivan Alioto
|Kathleen Sullivan Alioto|
|Chairperson of the Boston School Committee|
|Preceded by||John J. McDonough|
|Succeeded by||David Finnegan|
|Political party||Democratic Party|
|Residence||San Francisco, California|
|Alma mater||Manhattanville College
Harvard University, Ed.D
Kathleen Sullivan Alioto is an American educator and politician who served on the Boston School Committee as a member (1974–79) and its President (1977). She was succeeded on the school committee by her sister, Jean Sullivan McKeigue.
From 1974 to 1976, Sullivan dated the then-closeted Barney Frank. In April 1976, Sullivan's father suggested that, while she was attending a convention in San Francisco, she lunch with former San Francisco Mayor Joseph Alioto. Sullivan and Alioto married in 1978 and remained together until his death in 1998. Because they were both divorced, the wedding was performed by excommunicated Catholic priest and activist Joseph O'Rourke.
- McLaughlin, Jeff (November 7, 1973). "Teacher Kathy Sullivan learns how to win". Boston Globe. Retrieved 11 June 2011.
- Cohen, Muricl (January 26, 1977). "Boston school board picks Sullivan as chairwoman". Boston Globe. Retrieved 11 June 2011.
- "Senate Candidate Alioto Pregnant". Associated Press. July 25, 1978. Retrieved 11 June 2011.
- Weisberg, Stuart E. (2009). Barney Frank: The Story of America's Only Left-handed, Gay, Jewish Congressman. Amherst: University of Massachusetts Press.
- "Alioto Weds Kathleen Sullivanm But Ex-Wife Claims It's Invalid - Priest Excommunicated". The Blade (Toldeo). February 28, 1978. Retrieved 11 June 2011.
- "Former mayor is father at 62". Associated Press. February 19, 1979. Retrieved 11 June 2011.
- "Daughter born to Alioto". Associated Press. May 20, 1981. Retrieved 11 June 2011.