|Traded as||NZX: KMD, ASX: KMD|
|Founded||1987 in Christchurch, New Zealand; 29 years ago|
|Founders||Jan Cameron and John Pawson|
|Headquarters||Christchurch, New Zealand|
|New Zealand, Australia, United Kingdom|
|Products||Outdoor and travel apparel, gear and accessories|
Kathmandu is a leading retailer of clothing and equipment for travel and adventure in New Zealand, Australia and the UK. Kathmandu was founded by John Pawson and Jan Cameron in 1987 following their sale of the ALP Sports Clothing label. The company set up its first retail outlets in Australia whilst manufacturing most of its original clothing range in New Zealand. Bernard Wicht, owner of Alpine Accoutrements, had been the main manufacturer for ALP Sports but continued to manufacture for Kathmandu and also partnered with Penny Hazard to set up the Bivouac chain of stores in New Zealand. In 1992 Kathmandu, having established a strong operation in Australia (with stores in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Canberra) re-entered the New Zealand retail marketplace, purchasing Alps Sports from its receivers and brought Bernard Wicht in as the third shareholder joining the two existing shareholders John Pawson and Jan Cameron. Kathmandu currently has 137 stores; 45 in New Zealand,87 in Australia and 5 in the United Kingdom as at the end of April 2013. The company was in 2006 fully acquired by an Australasian private equity company for NZ$275 million, after the reclusive founder had previously sold the other half of her business. Bernard is currently the owner of both the Fairydown and Macpac brands.
Kathmandu was listed on the Australian and New Zealand stock exchanges in November, 2009.
- "Man killed on mountain co-founder of Kathmandu". The Southland Times. 29 November 2008.
- Haggart, Matthew (4 December 2008). "Funeral for Kathmandu founder". Otago Daily Times.
- Shepheard, Nicola (30 November 2008). "Tragedy ends 'a great day'". The New Zealand Herald.
- Dann, Liam (15 September 2006). "Kathmandu clothing founder quits business for $275m". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 8 October 2011.
- Slade, Maria (11 November 2009). "Aussies Kathmandu, Kiwis Kathmandon't". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 8 October 2011.
Media related to Kathmandu (company) at Wikimedia Commons