KU OFFICIAL LOGO
|Motto||Quality Education for Leadership|
|Chancellor||Prime Minister of Nepal|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Dr. Ram Kantha Makaju Shrestha|
|Location||Dhulikhel , Nepal|
Kathmandu University (KU)(Nepali: काठमाण्डौ विश्वविद्यालय) is an autonomous non-government, public institution. It is the third oldest university in Nepal, located in Dhulikhel, Kavrepalanchok District, about 30 km east of Kathmandu. KU was established in 1991 with the motto "Quality Education for Leadership". This university operates through its seven schools and from premises in Dhulikhel, Lalitpur and Bhaktapur.
The university provides undergraduate to postgraduate programs in the fields of engineering, science, management, arts, education,law and medical sciences. It provides undergraduate courses in engineering (civil,computer, electrical & electronics, mechanical, environmental, geomatics, chemical ), science (Biotechnology, environmental science, pharmacy, human biology & applied physics), management (Bachelors in Business Administration, executive MBA, Masters in Business Administration ...), arts (music, media, community development, fine art, and economics), medical science(MBBS, MD/MS, Mch/DM in various medical specialities and subspecialities, B Sc Nursing, PCL Nursing, Bachelor in Nursing, BSc Midwifery, Bachelor in Physiotherapy BDS).Graduate courses in science, engineering, pharmacy, development and business administration are also offered.
As a precursor to the establishment of a University, a team dedicated people first established Kathmandu Valley Campus (Private campus under the affiliation of Tri-bhuvan University) in 1985 to provide education in Intermediate of Science (ISc). The same team proposed the establishment of Kathmandu University. After thorough discussion on the proposal in the Parliament, Kathmandu University was granted by an Act of Parliament on December 11, 1991.
When established in November 1991 as a non-profit, autonomous, public university by an Act KU became first privately managed public institution of higher learning in Nepal. The predecessor of the university was the Kathmandu Valley Campus founded in 1985. The campus started as a private campus affiliated to Tribhuvan University and offered courses in science at intermediate level (I.Sc).
Kathmandu University started its academic program in 1992 with an Intermediate in Science program. In 1994, the university launched Bachelor programs in Pharmacy, Biology and Engineering (electrical and electronics, computer and mechanical). Later, Environmental Engineering and Sciences was included in its academic program. M.Phil and PhD programs were started in 1997. The university also started a Law program, under the School of Law in 2014.
- August 1985 Establishment of Kathmandu University Valley Campus with academic affiliation to Tribhuvan University. Commencement of Intermediate of Science courses.
- November 1991 Kathmandu University chartered by an Act of Parliament.
- December 1991 First Senate meeting presided by the Prime Minister and Chancellor of Kathmandu University, Girija Prasad Koirala. Appointment of Dr. Suresh Raj Sharma as the Vice Chancellor of the University.
- January 1992 Appointment of Dr. Sitaram Adhikary as the Registrar of the University.
- July 1992 School of Science opened in Tangal. Appointment of Dr. Bhadra Man Tuladhar as the Dean of the School of Science. Commencement of Kathmandu University's own Intermediate of Science courses.
- August 1993 School of Management opened in New Baneswor. Appointment of Professor Krishna Swaminathan as the Dean of the School of Management. Commencement of Masters of Business Administration program.
- March 1994 Academic council decided to introduce three-year degree programs for B.A./B.Sc. pass, and four year degree programs for B.A.,B.E.,B. Sc. honours.
Organization and Institutions
Kathmandu University provides education through seven schools:
- School of Science
- School of Arts & Humanities
- School of Education
- School of Engineering
- School of Management (KUSOM)
- School of Medical Sciences (KUSMS, formerly known as KUMS)
- School of Law
The School of Medical Sciences (KUSMS) and the School of Engineering have the most students. The School of Medical Science was formerly known as KUMS, but in 2006 its name was changed to KUSMS, with the view that the school not only trains medical graduates and postgraduates but also runs paramedical disciplines. The School of Science and School of Engineering are present in the university premises unlike other schools which have affiliated colleges around the nation. School of Engineering currently runs undergraduate and graduate level courses mostly in Electrical and Electronics, Mechanical and Computer Engineering. It has also recently launched Civil and Geomatics Engineering. The School of Science is currently conducting classes in B.Sc Human Biology, Environmental Science and Engineering, Bio Technology and Applied Physics.Chemical Engineering, BSc nursing In Midwifery, and Bachelors in Physiotherapy is the recent addition to the list of subject being offered by KU to students in Nepal for the first time ever.
The university, in partnership with Rangjung Yeshe Institute, runs the Centre for Buddhist Studies. The centre offers undergraduate and graduate programs leading to Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts degrees in Buddhist Studies and Himalayan languages. It provides research facilities for visiting international scholars of Buddhism for their graduate or postgraduate projects. In the summer, it hosts study-abroad programs and conducts intensive language immersion programs in Tibetan, Nepali, and Sanskrit.
The university owns Kathmandu University High School.
Except for the School of Education and School of Management, the schools operate from the university's premises at Dhulikhel. Four batches of students have completed their MBA programs from the School of Management. The first convocation of the university was held on 7 August 1995 and the convocation address was given by management guru, Dr. M.B. Atreya of India. The second convocation was held on 8 December 1996 and the convocation address was delivered by Professor N. Gyanam, Vice Chancellor, Pondicherry University and the President of Association of Indian Universities. The third convocation was held on 9 November 1997 and the convocation address was delivered by Professor (Dr.) M. Rammohan Rao, director, Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore, India. The fourth convocation, held on 17 September 1998, was addressed by the prominent scholar and ex-vice chancellor of Norwegian Institute of Technology, Norway. For the first time in Nepal, Kathmandu University convocated a batch of environmental, mechanical, electrical, electronics and computer science and engineering graduates.
- Scholarships in Australia.
- Scholarships in Canada.
- Scholarships in Europe. Link: 
- Scholarships in Japan.
- Scholarships in USA.
- Project Management Institute. 
Kathmandu University has consistently been ranked as Nepal's #1 University. It is well known for its engineering branches and is the topmost engineering college in Nepal. The placements, internship opportunities and vibrant college life adds feather to Kathmandu University's cap.
Kathmandu University held a Ceremony at the main campus to mark the beginning of its year-long Silver Jubilee celebration.A Silver Jubilee Celebration Organizing Committee has been formed under the chairmanship of the Chancellor, Rt. Hon'ble Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli.
Some of the programs envisioned include establishing Silver Jubilee Logo, inaugurating newly constructed buildings and constructing new ones, establishing Silver Jubilee Tower, felicitating well-known national and international scholars, organizing presentation programs with scholars from different fields, organizing KU Oration, exhibiting academic works of KU Family, publishing Silver Jubilee Souvenir and books, and organizing various sports and cultural programs.
Rt. Hon'ble President Bidhya Devi Bhandari, who graced the Ceremony as the Chief Guest, marked the inauguration of Silver Jubilee by unveiling the Silver Jubilee Logo and inaugurated the newly constructed buildings. Rt. Hon'ble Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli, the Chancellor of the University, chaired the Ceremony, and laid the foundation stone of the Silver Jubilee Tower.
The Inaugural Ceremony included enlightening speeches of Hon'ble Minister for Education Giriraj Mani Pokhrel, Prof. Suresh Raj Sharma, the Founding Vice Chancellor of KU, Mr. Daman Nath Dhungana, Chairman of the Board of Trustees, and Prof. Dr. Ram Kantha Makaju Shrestha, Vice Chancellor.
Several cultural presentations were held on the occasion along with plantation of plants of variety of species. Renowned personalities, heads of district offices along with local residents and KU Family showed their gracious presence and participation in the ceremony.
- "SCIENCE, RESEARCH AND TECHNOLOGY IN NEPAL" (PDF). Bajracharya, Dayanand; Bhuju, Dinesh Raj; Pokhrel, Jiba Raj. UNESCO Kathamndu Office. Retrieved 2007-11-03.
- "KU Act 2048/1991". Ministry of Education, Nepal. Retrieved 13 March 2016.
- "Important Milestones of Kathmandu University". ku.edu.np. Retrieved 2016-03-13.
- "Program Information, Yale Center for International Experience".
- "UC Berkeley, Buddhist Studies, Study Abroad Opportunities".
- "Boston College, International Programs".
- "Kathmandu University News | Silver Jubilee Inaugural Ceremony Held". ku.edu.np. Retrieved 2016-03-13.
Kathmandu University Act, 2048 (1991)
- "Kathmandu University Act, 2048 (1991)". Ministry of Education, Government of Nepal. Retrieved 13 March 2016.
- Kathmandu University Scholarships for Undergraduate Students
- Centre for Buddhist Studies, Kathmandu University
- Rangjung Yeshe Institute
- Kathmandu University Professors' Association
- Kathmandu University's Recent Notices and Results