Kathy Mullen at the Museum of the Moving Image, Queens, New York, in 2015
February 10, 1940 |
New York City, New York
|Occupation||Actress, voice actress, puppeteer|
|Spouse(s)||Michael K. Frith|
Kathryn "Kathy" Mullen (born February 10, 1940) is an American actress, voice actress, and puppeteer most closely associated with Jim Henson projects.
She began performing on The Muppet Show in its third season, primarily as Gaffer the Backstage Cat. She also voice directed Dog City for Nelvana, worked as a designer for The Muppet Movie, a performing assistant for Yoda on The Empire Strikes Back, and was one of the creators of Between the Lions. While reprising Gaffer for several Muppet movies, she also performed Mokey Fraggle and Cotterpin Doozer on Henson's Fraggle Rock. She performed the Gelfling Kira in the movie The Dark Crystal, Allegra on Allegra's Window, and Leona the Lion on Between the Lions.
Kathy Mullen, with her husband, former Muppet designer Michael K. Frith, has joined forces with British charity "No Strings" to create a film for children in Afghanistan, warning of the dangers of land mines. In the film, "The Story of the Little Carpet Boy," one puppet loses several limbs before he learns to avoid land mines completely. Kathy and Michael picked up the idea from Johnie McGlade, an emergency aid worker who used a scruffy rabbit puppet to bring smiles to the faces of people who had lived through earthquakes, hunger, or genocide.
In 2013, Kathryn Mullen attended Dragon Con with Karen Prell and Michael K. Frith as part of the 30th Anniversary of Fraggle Rock where Kathryn Mullen performed Mokey Fraggle while Karen Prell performed Red Fraggle.
- Allegra's Window - Allegra
- Between the Lions - Leona Lion (2000–2002)
- Fraggle Rock - Mokey Fraggle, Cotterpin Doozer, Rock Hockey Hanna, Merboo Merggle, Old Gypsy Lady, Wimple Fraggle, Mama Tree Bird, Sally Spotless, Tammy Shrub
- Jim Henson's Little Muppet Monsters - Penguin, Rat
- Sesame Street - Various Characters
- The Muppet Show - Gaffer the Cat, Mrs. Appleby, Prairie Dog, Various Characters
- The Wubbulous World of Dr. Seuss - Little Cat A (1996–1997), Junior Kangaroo (1996–1997), Morton the Elephant Bird (1996–1997), Mayor Stovepipe, Various Characters
- A Muppet Family Christmas - Mokey Fraggle
- Billy Bunny's Animal Songs - Frog, Gopher
- John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together - Mokey Fraggle
- Labyrinth - Goblins (puppeteer)
- Sesame Street Presents Follow That Bird - Grouch Diner Patron
- The Christmas Toy - Apple
- The Dark Crystal - Kira (puppeteer)
- The Great Muppet Caper - Additional Muppets
- The Muppet Movie - Additional Muppets
- The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson - Joy Buzzer
- The Muppets Go Hollywood - Additional Muppets
- The Muppets Go to the Movies - Additional Muppets
- The Muppets Take Manhattan - Jill the Frog
- "YODA’S RIGHT HAND! INTERVIEW WITH KATHY MULLEN". No Strings International. 5 December 2015. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- Faulk, Karen. magination Illustrated: The Jim Henson Journal. Chronicle Books. p. 142. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- Dark Crystal Event at the Museum of the Moving Image, Museum of the Moving Image, retrieved 10 May 2017
- Hall, Jane (2003-03-24). "No Strings on help, it's the Full Monty". Sunday Sun. Retrieved 2010-06-23.