Freston in 2011
Kathy Freston is the New York Times bestselling author of The Lean: A Revolutionary (and Simple!) 30-Day Plan for Healthy, Lasting Weight Loss, Veganist: Lose Weight, Get Healthy, Change the World, The Quantum Wellness Cleanse: The 21 Day Essential Guide to Healing Your Body, Mind, and Spirit, and Quantum Wellness: A Practical and Spiritual Guide to Health and Happiness. Freston has appeared frequently on national television.
Freston's book, The Lean: A Revolutionary (and Simple!) 30-Day Plan for Healthy, Lasting Weight Loss, was named one of VegNews' "Top 12 Vegan Books of 2012." 
Kathy started a petition titled "It's Time For A Healthy, Meatless Option (Please!)" that has received over 200k signatures to get McDonald's to offer vegan options. With many news outlets such as CNN, USA Today and Business Insider weighing in on the issue. 
Freston took part in The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine's Vegetarian Caucus luncheon on Capitol Hill to raise awareness among congressional staff about the health and nutrition benefits of a plant-based lifestyle. Freston was part of the Caucus that helped to "provide oral testimony at the 2015 USDA Dietary Guidelines meetings on January 14. At this meeting, they each stood up and gave testimony on why animal products should be removed from USDA Dietary Guidelines, which was updated in 2015. At the Veggie Caucus, each of the speakers divulged their experiences with public health and discussed the role of the Dietary Guidelines in shaping federal nutrition recommendations and policies."
Freston was added to Vanity Fair's 2009 "International Best-Dressed List." 
Freston was known for her loud support of California's Prop 2, a ballot measure that – among other things – required that by January 1, 2015, egg-laying hens raised in California be able to stand up, lie down, turn around, and fully extend their wings.
Her work has been featured in the magazines Vanity Fair, Harper’s Bazaar, Self, W, and Fitness. She is also a regular contributor to the Huffington Post.
Freston was awarded "Person of the Year" by VegNews Magazine in 2011. According to the Editor Picks, "This author and activist had quite a year. Her book’s a best-seller, her Twitter account and Huffington Post blog posts are active and educational, Vanity Fair writer John Helipern committed to going veg after just one lunch with her, and she appeared not only on The Oprah Winfrey Show, but helped a family adopt a vegan diet on Ellen, chatted veganism on The Martha Stewart Show with fellow activists Biz Stone and Gene Baur, and talked shop on Charlie Rose." 
Freston was awarded with the "Healthy Living Advocate Award" by Farm Sanctuary at the 25th Anniversary Farm Sanctuary gala in 2011.
Freston grew up in the Atlanta area. She began modeling at age 16. Freston's career path began when she left an abusive relationship and began to meditate as part of her recovery process. She began by making her own meditation cassette tapes. She stated in an interview, "Then I started creating tapes for friends and realized, "Hey, this is very useful to people." She stated that people "came to her for counseling," and so she began her career.
- The Lean: A Revolutionary (and Simple!) 30-Day Plan for Healthy, Lasting Weight Loss (Weinstein, 2012)
- Veganist: Lose Weight, Get Healthy, Change the World. New York City: Weinstein Books. 2011-02-01. ISBN 978-1-60286-133-6.
- The Quantum Wellness Cleanse: A 21 Day Essential Guide to Healing Your Body, Mind, and Spirit (Weinstein, 2009)
- Quantum Wellness: A Practical and Spiritual Guide to Health and Happiness (Weinstein, 2008)
- The One (Hyperion, 2006)
- Expect a Miracle (St. Martin's Press, 2003)
- Connelly, Joseph. "Top 12 Vegan Books of 2012". VegNews.com. VegNews. Retrieved 30 April 2015.
- Committee, The Physicians. "Celebs, Congress Attend Vegetarian Caucus Luncheon". PCRM.org. The Physicians Committee. Retrieved 4 May 2015.
- Harless, Kailey. "Kathy Freston, Fashionista". VegNews.com. VegNews. Retrieved 30 April 2015.
- Winfrey, Oprah. "Oprah Begins 21-Day Diet Detox". The Huffington Post. The Huffington Post. Retrieved 29 April 2015.
- Freston, Kathy. "The Vegan Challenge". Oprah.com. Harpo Productions. Retrieved 29 April 2015.
- Hall, Carla. "ALL THINGS ANIMAL IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AND BEYOND". latimesblogs.latimes.com. LA Times. Retrieved 4 May 2015.
- Editors, VegNews. "The 2011 Veggie Awards". VegNews.com. VegNews. Retrieved 4 May 2015.
- Berman, Ali. "Exclusive: Kathy Freston Talks About Martha Stewart Using Honey on Vegan Episode". Ecorazzi.com. Ecorazzi, LLC. Retrieved 4 May 2015.
- "Kahn, Sarah. "Soul Mate." Hamptons Magazine, Winter 2006
- Jorden, Heather Stewart (1999-07-06). "Charity Scorecard". Los Angeles Times. p. E4.
The event was co-chaired by volunteer Kathy Freston and her husband, Tom Freston, president of MTV Networks.
- NY Post: "High-flying Frestons split up" June 5, 2012
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Kathy Freston|