|Occupation||Magazine editor, columnist|
Ryan has published the photography book Office Romance, which began as a personal project where she published photographs of The New York Times Building on Instagram. This work revolves around the environment of The New York Times building and portraits of her colleagues and those close to her.
Under her leadership, the Magazine commissions photographers, a selection of whose work was published in The New York Times Magazine Photographs (Aperture, 2011), edited by Ryan. During her time there, the Magazine has been recognized with numerous photography awards, such as the National Magazine Awards in both 2011 and 2012. Ryan herself has received the Royal Photographic Society's annual award for Outstanding Service to Photography. Ryan also gives lectures on photography and serves as a mentor at the School of Visual Arts in New York City.
This is a book that captures Ryan's life in the office. It began with a series of photographs posted on Instagram and has become a photo book, with genres such as still life, portraiture, formal abstraction, and architecture. Through this she explores her office using photographs made with her cell phone. The development of her photography can be shown through this book as well, with her transition and combination of several photographic elements. She goes from capturing light in the office to incorporating her office materials as subjects for her photography and then including texture as well. Overall, the book has a sense of personality with the personal photos capturing her work life and the poetic literature that captions it.
Director of Photography, The New York Times Magazine
Ryan has worked for over thirty years as director of photography at The New York Times Magazine. Untypically, she has employed younger, not as widely known, photographers for large commissions. Ryan first introduced videos along with photography and eventually also virtual reality.
- Office Romance: Photographs from Inside the New York Times Building. New York: Aperture Foundation, 2014. ISBN 978-1-59711-304-5. With an introduction by Renzo Piano. Photographs and text.
- "Reputations: Kathy Ryan". Eye. Autumn 2009. Retrieved 23 July 2014.
- Pollack, Kira (4 October 2011). "Inside the Mind of a Master Photo Editor". Time. Retrieved 23 July 2014.
- Alexander, Scott (8 July 2014). "Behind the Scenes with New York Times Magazine Photo Editor, Kathy Ryan". American Photo. Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- "Office Romance". Aperture.org. Retrieved 2018-03-10.
- LensCulture, Kathy Ryan |. "Office Romance: Loving Light at the New York Times Building - Photographs by Kathy Ryan | LensCulture". LensCulture. Retrieved 2018-03-12.
- "THE EYE OF THE TIMES.: Discovery Search for Purchase College Library, SUNY". eds.a.ebscohost.com. Retrieved 2018-03-12.
- Kathy Ryan Biography at worldpressphoto.org
- Kathy Ryan appears on this video at charlierose.com
- Kathy Ryan - Interview by Jonas Cuénin on the website La Lettre
This article needs additional or more specific categories. (February 2019)
|This article about an American photographer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|