|Born||January 6, 1959|
|Origin||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.|
|Genres||R&B, Pop, Dance|
|Associated acts||Sister Sledge|
Kathy Sledge (born January 6, 1959) is an American singer who is best known as lead singer of the R&B/Soul group Sister Sledge (made up of her sisters). As a solo performer, Sledge has had several hits on the International Pop and Hot Dance Music/Club Play chart, including "Take Me Back to Love Again", which hit #1 in 1992. She continues to tour worldwide.
Born in 1959, Sledge is the granddaughter of former opera singer Viola Williams, and daughter to Florez Sledge and former Broadway star Edwin Sledge of dance-tap duo "Fred and Sledge". She is the youngest of four in the music group Sister Sledge and enjoyed several R&B and dance/pop hits with her sisters Debra, Joni and Kim. Kathy performed the lead vocals to their biggest hits, "He's the Greatest Dancer", "We Are Family" and "Frankie".
Sledge collaborated with Dance producer Robert Miles on dance/pop hit "Freedom" 1997. She returned to the dance chart in 2001 as a featured vocalist for King Britt's musical project Sylk 130 on the track "Rising".
In 2011, she released a track called "Give Yourself Up" on Universal Records, featuring Adam Barta, and produced by Mike Rizzo and Mr. Mig, which hit Top 20 on the Billboard Hot Club Play Chart. September 2013, she was the first signing of the new Pacific Electronic Music record label formed by Jerry L. Greenberg (former President of Atlantic Records), Max Martire & Lenny Ibizarre. On September 25, 2013, she received an "Outstanding Contribution to Music" award at the 16th DJ Awards at Pacha, Ibiza. and performed the new Aristofreeks remix of We Are Family.
The first release of the 5 remixes of We Are Family that she re-recorded with the Aristofreeks were released on November 11, 2013. She also has a single together with the same group, "Keep It Moving" (2014), which went up to No.2 spot of US Dance Club Songs.
- 1975: Soul Train — Herself (3 episodes)
- 1979: American Bandstand — Herself (1 episode)
- 1982: Fridays — Herself (1 episode)
- 1984: The Jeffersons — Kathy Satin (1 episode)
- 1992: It's Showtime at the Apollo — Herself (1 episode)
- 2000: 100 Greatest Dance Songs of Rock & Roll — Herself
- 2006: Archive Footage:Be My Baby: The Girl Group Story — Herself (uncredited)
- 2008: Soul Power (D:Jeffrey Levy-Hinte) — Herself with Sister Sledge (uncredited) (1974 concert series from the "Rumble in the Jungle" between Muhammad Ali and George Foreman in Zaire)
- List of number-one dance hits (United States)
- List of artists who reached number one on the US Dance chart
- Slomowicz, Ron, (DJ), "Song of the Day: Kathy Sledge featuring Adam Barta - 'Give Yourself Up'", About.com Guide, April 29, 2011
- "Jerry Greenberg, Former Atlantic Prez and Chic Breaker, to Launch New EDM Label Pacific Electronic Music". Billboard.
- Essential Ibiza. "DJ Awards 2013". essentialibiza.com.