Kathy Smith (fitness personality)
Kathy Smith (born December 11, 1951) is a personal trainer who became well known for her workout videos during the late 1980s and 1990s. She has sold over 16 million workout videos since 1980. Her exercise and nutrition program Project:You! Type 2 was created in association with the American Diabetes Association as a complete lifestyle system to help manage Type 2 diabetes. Her daughter is Kate Grace, a Yale University All American and participant as a runner in the 800-meter event at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio.
Smith was born in Tucson, Arizona, United States. She is the daughter of an Air Force pilot, and grew up in Brazil, Alabama, Hawaii, Texas and Illinois. When Smith was 17, her father died of a heart attack, and a year and a half later her mother died in a plane crash. Following the loss of her parents, Smith began exercising to combat depression. Smith enrolled at the University of Hawaii, and graduated with a degree in business administration. Smith has stated that following the loss of her parents, and her sister's descent into substance abuse, she developed a wild lifestyle and feared her athlete boyfriend might leave her; she took up running to be near him, and found it to be a life-changing experience. Smith was one of a few women to complete the Honolulu marathon in 1975, and Runner's World magazine listed her as one of the top 100 marathon runners in the country. Her fitness videos made her a multi-millionaire by her mid thirties, and she has been awarded numerous accolades, including induction into the Video Hall of Fame.
Smith has two daughters.
- Larkin, Kathy (4 December 1983). "Fitness expert Kathy Smith is the latest 'Babe'". Boca Raton News. Boca Raton, Florida, USA: South Florida Media Company. Retrieved 26 March 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Lavin, Cheryl (26 November 1995). "Kathy Smith". Chicago Tribune. Chicago, Illinois, USA. Retrieved 26 March 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Kathy Smith Demos a few Exercises". ABC 4 News. Salt Lake City, Utah, USA: Newport Television, LLC. 10 March 2011. Retrieved 26 March 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Total Health Magazine, "Kathy Smith Project YOU! Type 2"
- Blinkhorn, Lois (10 November 1983). "Exercise expert does a workable workout book". The Milwaukee Journal. Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA. Retrieved 26 March 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Osborne, Steve. "Kathy Smith: When Fitness Meets Focus". Archived from the original on 2008-05-09. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)