||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (November 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
June 24, 1958 |
Brooklyn, New York, New York
|Genres||Contemporary Christian, inspirational|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, author, speaker|
Kathleen Colleen "Kathy" Troccoli (born June 24, 1958) is a contemporary Christian music singer, author, and speaker.
Early life and family
Troccoli was born in Brooklyn, New York, but raised from age three in Islip Terrace, Long Island, New York, where she graduated from East Islip High School. She lost her father to colon cancer when she was 15, then lost her mother to breast cancer in 1991, shortly before the release of her album Pure Attraction and its mainstream chart selection, "Everything Changes". Before recording and releasing the album, Troccoli had taken a five-year break from the music world.
After graduation, she attended the Berklee College of Music in Boston for a year, studying jazz and opera, before returning home to attend college in the Long Island region. While working to pay her college bill, she committed herself to Christ (1978), and her alto voice gained prominence when she opened for Ed Nalle's group GLAD in 1980 during a concert in the area.
Nalle assisted Troccoli in her career, helping the young artist record demos which would be given to Michael Blanton and Dan Harrell (Amy Grant's brother-in-law), who formed the Reunion label to start her career in 1982 with Stubborn Love. A second album, Heart and Soul, was released in 1984 and gave her her first Grammy nomination a year later, followed by Images in 1986. Troccoli also provided backing vocal for Taylor Dayne's song "I'll Be Your Shelter" in 1989/1990.
After her mother's death, she paired with Reunion again in 1991 with Pure Attraction, which launched her on the national charts with the single "Everything Changes," which peaked at No. 14 on the Billboard Hot 100. "Help Myself To You" became her first No. 1 hit in her ten-year career, and began a string of GMA Music Awards nominations, including numerous attempts at Female Vocalist.
Numerous hit songs came afterwards, including 1994's "My Life is in Your Hands", jointly written and composed with Bill Montvilo, which defined her career and inspired the devotional book of the same title, written in 1997, and 1995's "Go Light Your World", which began the rise of writer Chris Rice and was used for charity efforts that year.
In 1996, Troccoli was featured on the Beach Boys' now out-of-print album Stars and Stripes Vol. 1, singing lead vocals on a cover of their 1969 song "I Can Hear Music", itself a cover of a Phil Spector song. The Beach Boys sing on the track as well, providing harmonies and backing vocals.
She had no success at the GMA Music Awards from 1992 until 1997. The release of Love & Mercy in 1997 changed her career. One song, "A Baby's Prayer", written and composed after she and collaborator Scott Brasher had observed the abortion issue and Brasher's viewing of Holocaust documentaries, made her a well-sought speaker in 1998, and with the "Inspirational Song" award, she finally won her first GMA Music Award.
Her 1998 release Corner of Eden resulted in an "Inspirational Album" award at the GMA Music Award in 1999, her second GMA Music Award.
Her second Grammy nomination came in 2003 with her album The Heart of Me.
Writing and speaking activities
In addition to her musical activities, Kathy wrote several Christian books in collaboration with Dee Brestin, and also wrote some of her own as well. These books included Hope for a Woman's Heart, Falling in Love With Jesus (with Brestin), Living in Love with Jesus (with Brestin), Forever in Love with Jesus (with Brestin), Am I Not Still God?, My Life Is in Your Hands, and Seven Celebrations for the Soul. She likewise became a frequent popular speaker, and musician, for Christian organizations and at well-known Christian events such as "Women of Faith," "Spaghetti for the Soul" with Ellie Lofaro, "Heritage Keepers," and "Time Out for Women Only", as well as several cruises that are known to take place annually in February. Kathy performed at the 1999 Fiesta Bowl National Championship as well as the 1999 National Day of Prayer. Also, Kathy assisted Chuck Colson and Prison Fellowship in numerous outreaches to prisoners.
Over the years, Kathy has appeared on The Tonight Show, Live with Regis and Kathie Lee, The 700 Club, Entertainment Tonight, among others. She also appeared on Focus on the Family's video for teens, Sex, Lies, & The Truth, speaking out on the importance of sexual purity. She has also been a regular co-host of the TV show "Red Letter Christians" with Tony Campolo. In 2010, she co-hosted a one-hour television program called The Mark and Kathy Show with Mark Lowry, on The Inspiration Network (later called INSP).
- 1982: Stubborn Love
- 1984: Heart and Soul
- 1986: Images
- 1988: Portfolio
- 1991: Pure Attraction
- 1994: Kathy Troccoli
- 1995: Sounds of Heaven
- 1997: Love and Mercy
- 1998: Corner of Eden
- 1999: Together (with Sandi Patty)
- 1999: Sentimental Christmas
- 2000: Love Has a Name
- 2002: The Heart of Me
- 2003: Greatest Hits
- 2004: K.T.'s Groovin' Medleys (kids album)
- 2005: Draw Me Close: Songs of Worship
- 2005: Comfort
- 2006: The Story of Love
- 2008: Hope's Alive
- 2010: Heartsongs (covers album)
- 2011: Christmas Songs
- 2012: 30 Years/Songs: The Kathy Troccoli Collection
- 2013: Worshipsongs: 'Tis So Sweet
- 2015: Better Days
- 1983: "Stubborn Love"
- 1984: "I Belong to You"
- 1985: "Holy Holy"
- 1986: "Talk It Out"
- 1987: "All the World Should Know" (with Glad)
- 1992: "Love was Never Meant to Die"
- 1992: "Help Myself to You"
- 1992: "Everything Changes "
- 1992: "You've Got A Way "
- 1994: "Tell Me Where It Hurts"
- 1994: "If I'm Not in Love "
- 1994: "Mission of Love "
- 1994: "My Life Is in Your Hands "
- 1995: "Never My Love "
- 1995: "Go Light Your World "
- 1995: "Love One Another "
- 1996: "He'll Never Leave Me "
- 1996: "I Call Him Love "
- 1996: "A Baby's Prayer"
GMA Dove Awards
- 1998: Inspirational Recorded Song, "A Baby's Prayer" (Two awards: one as artist, the other as writer, shared with co-write Scott Brasher)
- 1999: Inspirational Album of the Year, Corner of Eden
- 1997: My Life Is in Your Hands
- 1999: Different Roads
- 2002: Am I Not Still God?
- 2002: Hope for a Woman's Heart
- 2005: A Love That Won't Walk Away
- 2005: Seven Celebrations for the Soul
- 2006: Live Like You Mean It: Engaging in a Life of Passion, Romance, and Adventure
With Dee Brestin
- 2001: Falling in Love with Jesus (hardback Bible study)
- 2003: The Colors of His Love (hardback Bible study, softcover version titled Living in Love with Jesus)
- 2004: Forever in Love with Jesus (Bible study)
- Troccoli, Kathy (2002). Am I Not Still God?. Nashville, Tennessee: W Pupblishing Group. ISBN 0-8499-1709-3.