May 3, 1995
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.
|Alma mater||Northwestern University|
Katherine "Katie" Chang (born May 3, 1995) is an American actress, producer, and writer known for her roles as Rebecca Ahn in The Bling Ring (2013), Ellen Reeves in A Birder's Guide to Everything (2013) and Claire Connors in The Outcasts (2017).
Chang was born in Chicago, Illinois and raised in Winnetka, Illinois. Her paternal grandfather was of Korean descent, while the rest of her ancestry is Irish and German. She was trained at the Wilmette Theatre's Actors Training Center. Chang attended New Trier High School, graduating in 2013. She started studying creative writing at Columbia University. In 2015, she transferred to Northwestern University. Chang graduated from Northwestern in 2017 with a degree in screenwriting.
In 2013, Chang earned praise for her portrayal of Rebecca Ahn, the leader of the title group in the satirical crime film The Bling Ring. Rolling Stone described her as "mesmerizing" while the Chicago Tribune called her a "performer of serious promise". The Hollywood Reporter said Chang's performance marked her as "someone to watch" going forward in her career. Director Sofia Coppola explained her choice of casting such a "fresh face" in a lead role, saying, "There's sort of a naturalness, as opposed to having worked a lot, being kid actors." Also in 2013, Chang starred in the comedy film A Birder's Guide to Everything. She then had a supporting role in the independent drama film Anesthesia. Chang then appeared in the teen comedy film The Outcasts, and will star in the upcoming Canal Street and All The Little Things We Kill. Chang is currently producing "Screwed," (web series). As a screenwriter, she is in production for "Nineteen" (2019), and "Bad News" (2019).
|2011||CUTEeGRL||Fiona Malo||Short film|
|2013||The Bling Ring||Rebecca Ahn|
|2013||A Birder's Guide to Everything||Ellen Reeves|
|2017||The Outcasts||Claire Connors|
|2018||Canal Street||Elizabeth Chu|
|2018||All The Little Things We Kill||Carol|
|2019||Bad News||Sarah||Also writer; Post-production|
|2019||Daniel Isn't Real|
- Pais, Matt (June 22, 2013). "Video/Q&A: Winnetka native 'Bling Ring' star Katie Chang". RedEye Chicago.
- "'The Bling Ring' Star Katie Chang is a Triple Threat: Young, Talented and Mature". Mochi Magazine.
- "Winnetka's Katie Chang settling into school, acting life". Chicago Tribune. March 19, 2014. Retrieved December 13, 2015.
- "Winnetkan lands role in MTV comedy pilot". Winnetka Current. November 12, 2015. Retrieved December 24, 2015.
- "Katie Chang on Instagram". Instagram.
- Travers, Peter. "The Bling Ring". Rolling Stone. Retrieved June 22, 2013.
- Phillips, Michael (June 20, 2013). "Bling Ring a bright, breezy film with a message'". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved June 22, 2013.
- McCarthy, Todd (May 16, 2013). "The Bling Ring: Cannes Review'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 2, 2013.
- Baron, Zach (June 5, 2013). "Stealing Fame". The New York Times. Retrieved June 22, 2013.
- Michel, Brett. "Star of 'Bling Ring' nothing like the character she plays". Patriot Ledger. Retrieved June 22, 2013.
- Ford, Rebecca (November 18, 2013). "'Bling Ring' Star Joins Indie 'Anesthesia'". The Hollywood Reporter.
- McNary, Dave (May 13, 2014). "Cannes: Victoria Justice Starring in High-School Comedy". Variety.
- "Screwed (TV Movie)- IMDb". IMDb.
- "Nineteen (2019)- IMDb". IMDb.
- "Bad News (TV Series)- IMDb". IMDb. Retrieved July 22, 2018.