Katie Ford (CEO)
|Born||Mary Katherine Ford
1955 (age 61–62)
|Spouse(s)||André Balazs (1985-2004; divorced; 2 children)|
|Parent(s)||Gerard W. Ford
Life and career
Ford worked for Strategic Planning Associates as a management consultant and TeleRep as a television sales representative.
Ford now is active in the fight against human trafficking.
She joined her parents' company in 1980. She took over as head in 1995 and moved operations from the Upper East Side to SoHo. She also expanded the company's reach by setting up offices in 10 other cities, including Chicago, Cleveland, Paris, Brazil and Argentina.
Still one of the largest modeling agencies in the world—they represent more than 2,500 clients, but smaller boutique agencies have grown in popularity. In recent years Ford has also have lost some of their most bankable stars, including Karen Elson, Maggie Rizer, and Erin O'Connor, who were 'poached' by other agencies. Nonetheless, Ford's vast network of modeling scouts ensures that it has "fresh faces" alongside more established models like Sophie Dahl, Camilla Finn, and Chanel Iman. Other stars Ford has repped over the years include Kim Basinger, Adriana Lima, Rachel Hunter, and Christie Brinkley.
In 2007, Stone Tower Capital, which manages about $14 billion of assets, injected a significant amount of capital into Ford that will allow it to continue expanding globally. John Caplan, became Ford Models' Chief Executive Officer, and she remained on the board of directors.
Her younger sister, Lacey, lives in L.A. with her husband, John Williams; her older sister, Jamie, lives in Washington with her husband, lawyer Robert Craft; her older brother, Bill, lives in Florida.
Ford married hotelier André Balazs on November 16, 1985; they divorced in 2004. They have two daughters, Alessandra (born 1991) and Isabel (born 1994). Ford now lives in SoHo with her two daughters.
- "Miss Ford Plans To Become Bride Of Andre Balazs". The New York Times. July 21, 1985.
- "Daily Grind: Katie Ford's freeing a world of slavery". The Daily News. New York. December 10, 2008.
- ZACHERY KOUWE (December 6, 2007). "FUND INJECTS CAPITAL TO AID FORD MODELS". The New York Post.
- Roberta Bernstein (September 8, 1997). "Katie Ford". People Magazine. 48 (10).
- "KATHERINE FORD OF MODELING AGENCY IS THE BRIDE OF ANDRE TOMES BALAZS". The New York Times. November 17, 1985.