McGrath at the Japan Expo in 2010.
|Born||Katherine Elizabeth McGrath
c. 1983 (age 33–34)
Ashford, County Wicklow, Ireland
|Height||5 ft 6 in (1.68 m)|
Katherine Elizabeth "Katie" McGrath is an Irish actress who is best known for portraying Morgana on the BBC One show Merlin (2008–2012), Lucy Westenra on the British-American series Dracula (2013), Zara Young in the science fiction adventure film Jurassic World (2015), the lead role in the Canadian horror series Slasher (2016) and Lena Luthor in Supergirl (2016–present).
McGrath was raised in Ashford, County Wicklow, Ireland. She studied the International Baccalaureate at St. Andrew's College before graduating from Trinity College, Dublin with a degree in history.
McGrath originally wanted to work in fashion journalism and took a job at Image magazine, before becoming a wardrobe assistant on the set of The Tudors. While working on The Tudors, McGrath was advised to try acting, so she sent photographs around to Irish agents. She said:
Being an actress was kind of like when you’re a kid, and you want to run away and join the circus, it's something you really want to do, but then you grew up and got a proper job. It was a dream, but I didn’t think it would ever be reality, and yet here I am!
McGrath was cast in Damage, an Irish TV-movie in 2007. She also starred in Bedrock Productions's play La Marea at the Dublin Theatre Festival in the same year. She appeared in the feature films Eden and Freakdog in 2008, before being cast as Morgana Pendragon in Merlin.
In 2009, McGrath starred in a five-part docudrama for Channel 4 exploring the life of Queen Elizabeth II, The Queen, in which she played a young Princess Margaret. Emilia Fox portrayed Elizabeth II in the same episode in which McGrath appeared; the two had previously worked together as sisters Morgause and Morgana in Merlin. In 2010, McGrath was cast in Madonna's directorial debut W.E., an Edward VIII biopic. McGrath played Lady Furness, the king's former mistress who introduces him to Wallis Simpson.
2011 saw McGrath film the comedy-drama A Princess for Christmas in Romania. In September 2011, McGrath voice-acted the lead character in the Irish animated short film Tríd an Stoirm (Through the Storm). Later that month, McGrath was cast as Oriane Congost in Labyrinth.
McGrath was reunited with her The Tudors co-star and close friend Jonathan Rhys Meyers in NBC and Sky Living's horror drama TV series Dracula; she portrayed Lucy Westenra. In June 2013, McGrath co-starred in episode four of the Channel 4 show Dates as a young lesbian on the dating scene alongside Gemma Chan. In November 2014, McGrath co-starred in a Hozier music video for the song "From Eden".
McGrath is the lead actress in Chiller’s original series Slasher which premiered on March 4, 2016. In December 2016 the movie Buttons in which she plays one of the main characters will premiere on PBS.
In 2016, is was announced that McGrath would play the recurring role of Lena Luthor in season 2 of Supergirl. She appeared in the season 2 premier episode entitled "The Adventures of Supergirl". She will co-star in Guy Ritchie's King Arthur: Legend of the Sword which will be released in 2017.
|2011||W.E.||Lady Thelma Furness|
|2011||A Princess for Christmas||Jules Daly|
|2012||Tríd an Stoirm||Alice/Banshee (voice)||Short film|
|2014||Leading Lady||Jodi Rutherford|
|2015||Jurassic World||Zara Young|
|2015||The Throwaways||Gloria Miller|
|2017||King Arthur: Legend of the Sword||Elsa|
|2008||Tudors, TheThe Tudors||Bess||Season 2, episode 5: "His Majesty's Pleasure"|
|2008||Roaring Twenties, TheThe Roaring Twenties||Vixen||TV miniseries|
|2008–12||Merlin||Morgana Pendragon||Main role, 57 episodes (65 credited)|
|2009||Queen, TheThe Queen||Princess Margaret||Season 1, episode 1: "Margaret"|
|2011||Princess for Christmas, AA Princess for Christmas||Jules Daly||TV movie|
|2012||Labyrinth||Oriane Congost||TV miniseries|
|2013||Dates||Kate Foster||TV series|
|2013||Dracula||Lucy Westenra||Main role, 10 episodes|
|2016||Slasher||Sarah Bennett||Lead role|
|2016||Supergirl||Lena Luthor||Recurring role|
|2016||Frontier||Elizabeth Carruthers||Recurring role|
Awards and Nominations
|2009||Monte-Carlo TV Festival||Outstanding Actress - Drama Series||Merlin||Nominated|
- "Katie McGrath - Hamilton Hodell - CV". hamiltonhodell.co.uk.
- McGrath grew up with two older brothers, Rory and Shaun. "Interview Katie McGrath" (July 2011) Irish Tatler
- Carey, Anna (October 2008). "The Sorcerer's Apprentice". The Gloss Magazine. Archived from the original on 18 December 2008. Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- "She's magic". Sunday Herald Salon. 4 October 2008. Archived from the original on 8 April 2009. Retrieved 14 June 2015.
- bedrockproductions Archived 5 September 2011 at the Wayback Machine.
- "'Merlin' Katie McGrath final series Q&A". Digital Spy. 4 December 2012. Retrieved 14 October 2016.
- "Five actresses to play the Queen for C4". The Guardian. 27 January 2009. Retrieved 4 March 2009.
- "Katie McGrath praises 'fantastic' Madonna". Digital Spy. London. 8 October 2010. Retrieved 8 October 2010.
- Blaga, Lulia (25 February 2011). "PRODUCTION: Christmas at Castlebury Hall Will Shoot in Romania". Film New Europe. Retrieved 17 May 2011.
- "Short Film of the Week: Watch Tríd an Stoirm by Fred Burdy | Film Ireland". filmireland.net. Retrieved 14 October 2016.
- "Katie McGrath: 'Labyrinth is gritty'". Digital Spy. 20 December 2011. Retrieved 14 October 2016.
- "Victoria Smurfit To Sink Teeth into Jonathan Rhys Meyers' 'Dracula'". IFTN. 4 February 2013. Retrieved 4 February 2013.
- "New Channel 4 series "Dates" features gorgeous, complex lesbian couple - AfterEllen". AfterEllen. 26 June 2013. Retrieved 14 October 2016.
- "Hozier releases new video for 'From Eden' featuring Katie McGrath". Irish Independent. 19 November 2014. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- Kit, Borys (3 April 2014). "Judy Greer Joins Jurassic World". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 14 June 2015.
- "Crackle Premieres Jeremy Renner-Produced Movie 'The Throwaways'". Videoink. 30 January 2015. Retrieved 14 December 2015.
- "'Slasher' star Katie McGrath's character gets a bloody good welcome". Toronto Sun. Retrieved 14 October 2016.
- Ausiello, Michael (August 4, 2016). "Supergirl Lands Merlin's Katie McGrath as Lex's Sister Lena Luthor". TVLine. Retrieved August 31, 2016.
- Bernstein, Elizabeth (August 4, 2016). "Supergirl Finds Its Lena Luthor in Jurassic World's Katie McGrath". Nerd Much?. Retrieved August 31, 2016.
- Saclao, Christian (September 12, 2016). "'Supergirl' Season 2 Spoilers: CW Releases First Official Photos Of Katie McGrath As Lena Luthor". ibtimes.com. IBT Media Inc. Retrieved December 17, 2016.
- Merlin stars (4 January 2016). "Buttons The Movie trailer starring Katie McGrath" – via YouTube.
- "Irish Film & Television Network | IFTN | Company Directory, Irish film Locations, Actors, Crew, Industry events, Jobs | The Irish Film & Television Network". www.iftn.ie. Retrieved 2 November 2016.
- "In Full: Monte Carlo TV Festival fiction nominees". Digital Spy. 20 April 2011. Retrieved 2 November 2016.