The Real Housewives of Potomac
|The Real Housewives of Potomac|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||46 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||42 minutes|
|Production company(s)||True Entertainment|
|Picture format||HDTV (1080i)|
|Original release||January 17, 2016– present|
|Preceded by||The Real Housewives of Miami|
|Followed by||The Real Housewives of Dallas|
The Real Housewives of Potomac (abbreviated RHOP) is an American reality television series that premiered on January 17, 2016, on Bravo. Developed as the eighth installment of The Real Housewives franchise, following The Real Housewives of Orange County, New York City, Atlanta, New Jersey, D.C., Beverly Hills and Miami, it has aired three seasons and focuses on the personal and professional lives of several women living in Potomac, Maryland.
The series originally focused on Gizelle Bryant, Ashley Darby, Robyn Dixon, Karen Huger, Charrisse Jackson-Jordan and Katie Rost. The cast currently consists of Bryant, Darby, Dixon, Huger, Monique Samuels, and Candiace Dillard. Of the original housewives, Rost departed after the first season, and Jackson-Jordan was a friend of the housewives in the third. The remaining housewives joined in later seasons: Samuels in the second and Dillard in the third.
Overview and casting
Initially titled Potomac Ensemble, The Real Housewives of Potomac was announced on November 11, 2015. The series is the network's second attempt to develop a reality series based in the Washington, D.C. area. The first effort was The Real Housewives of D.C. which aired in 2010 and was canceled after one season.
The first season premiered on January 17, 2016, and starred Gizelle Bryant, Katie Rost, Karen Huger, Charrisse Jackson-Jordan, Robyn Dixon and Ashley Darby. After the filming for the second season began, Rost was fired from the show. Monique Samuels was then added to the cast for the second season which premiered on April 2, 2017.
The third season premiered on April 1, 2018, with Candiace Dillard joining the cast, and Jackson-Jordan appearing in a "friend" capacity.
Timeline of housewives
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||12||January 17, 2016||April 17, 2016|
|2||14||April 2, 2017||July 16, 2017|
|3||20||April 1, 2018||August 19, 2018|
The premiere episode of The Real Housewives of Potomac received a 1.2 rating in adults 18–49 years adult demographic and 2.54 million viewers in total, according to Nielsen Media Research's "live plus-3" estimates. The episode was the highest rated premiere of any series of The Real Housewives franchise. The first season of the series averaged 2.1 million viewers in the "live plus-3" estimates, becoming the network's most-watched first season of a series since The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills in 2010.
The reality series has received mostly positive reviews from television critics. Amy Amatangelo, writing for The Hollywood Reporter, said, "Like its predecessors, The Real Housewives of Potomac offers escapist TV at the highest level," and also added, "You can watch with the comfort that you would never behave this way and delight in all the ridiculous shenanigans." Amatangelo praised the show's diversity by saying that the network aims the franchise to be "an equal-opportunity offender". Joi-Marie McKenzie of ABC News, reviewing the show's premiere, said, "Between the show introductions, there was plenty of shade-throwing and one-liners to keep "Housewives" enthusiasts entertained."
The reality series is broadcast on the Bravo cable network in the United States. The first episode aired on Sunday January 17, 2016 9/8pm ET/PT, following a new episode of The Real Housewives of Atlanta. Internationally, the series premiered in Australia on Arena on January 18, within hours of the American broadcast. The first season consists of ten episodes, excluding a two-part reunion that aired on April 10 and 17, 2016. In New Zealand, The Real Housewives of Potomac began airing in July 2016, on Bravo upon the channels inception. The series began airing in the United Kingdom on August 28, 2016, on ITVBe.
- Bacle, Ariana (November 11, 2015). "Bravo's Real Housewives are heading to Potomac". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved November 11, 2015.
- Lajoie, Sandra (November 11, 2015 – April 2, 2017). "Bravo Media Announces Expansion Of "The Real Housewives" Franchise With Two New Elite Destinations Set For 2016". NBCUniversal Media Village. Retrieved November 11, 2015.
- Andrews-Dyer, Helena (June 22, 2015). "There's a new D.C. reality show and it's not set in D.C." The Washington Post. Retrieved December 19, 2015.
- Heil, Emily (November 20, 2015). "Why Bravo picked Potomac for the newest 'Real Housewives'". The Washington Post. Retrieved December 19, 2015.
- Bentley, Jean (November 11, 2015). "Bravo Announces Two New Real Housewives Series, and You'll Never Guess One of the Cities". E! Online. NBCUniversal. Retrieved November 11, 2015.
- Andrews-Dyer, Helena (December 6, 2016). "The second season of 'Real Housewives of Potomac' could be the reality show's last". Retrieved March 8, 2018.
- Roberts, Rachael (February 21, 2017). "9 Things You Need to Know About New Potomac Housewife Monique Samuels". Retrieved March 8, 2018.
- Quinn, Dave (March 7, 2018). "The Real Housewives of Potomac Up the Drama in the Season 3 Trailer". People. United States: Time Inc. Archived from the original on March 8, 2018. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- Kissell, Rick (January 22, 2016). "Ratings: Bravo's 'Real Housewives of Potomac' Sails Off to Strong Start". Variety. Retrieved May 25, 2016.
- Wagmeister, Elizabeth (April 14, 2016). "Bravo Renews 'The Real Housewives of Potomac' for Season 2". Variety. Retrieved April 17, 2016.
- Amatangelo, Amy (January 15, 2016). "'The Real Housewives of Potomac': TV Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- McKenzie, Joi-Marie (January 18, 2016). "'Real Housewives of Potomac' Premiere: 5 Questions That Need to Be Answered". ABC News. Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- Purcell, Charles (January 15, 2016). "New This Week (Jan 18): DC's Legends Of Tomorrow, Call The Midwife, Life On Marbs and live sport". The Green Room. Archived from the original on January 15, 2016. Retrieved January 15, 2016.
- "The Real Housewives of Potomac – Episode Guide". TV Guide. Retrieved April 2, 2016.
- Yates, Siena (January 15, 2016). "All reality, all the time: What Bravo will bring to NZ television". NZ Herald. Retrieved May 3, 2016.
- "Potomac? Where? Meet the new housewives that will become your faves". Instagram. ITVBe. Retrieved 25 August 2016.
- DidiGuide. "The Real Housewives of Potomac". Retrieved 25 August 2016.