Waissel performing on the X Factor Live Tour in 2011
|Residence||London, United Kingdom|
|Occupation||Singer, television personality|
|Chamberlain Records (2012–)|
KV Recordings (2010–12)
(m. 2012; div. 2012)
(m. 2015; div. 2017)
|Website||Katie Waissel on Facebook|
Katie Waissel (born 24 January 1986) is an English singer-songwriter who came into the public eye when she finished seventh in the seventh series of The X Factor. She is also known for being a housemate in Celebrity Big Brother 18, where she finished in eighth place.
- 1 Career
- 2 Personal life
- 3 Discography
- 4 Tours
- 5 See also
- 6 References
- 7 External links
2008–10: Early career and Green Eyed World
In mid-to-late 2009, Waissel starred in an interactive, online reality show Green Eyed World, sponsored by Sprite. The show focused on her journey in the US and Europe in hopes of a record label in 14 episodes of roughly 5 minutes in length each. Sprite experimented with the world's first YouTube/Facebook digital connection.
During her time on the show, Waissel shot a music video for her song "Live and Learn", and released a five-track EP, Songs from Under the Covers under "KatieVRecords". A song recorded at the time, a duet with The Private Life of David Reed "Moving Mountains", later appeared on their self-titled album during her time on The X Factor under the alias "Lola Fontaine". Waissel has been on tour with East 17 and Andy Abraham Sometime after the show, Waissel performed in Hollywood for Paris Hilton together with friend and fellow contestant X Factor Storm Lee.
2010: The X Factor
Before auditioning for The X Factor, Waissel had worked as a receptionist, waitress and once worked at OK! magazine. At her audition, she wanted to sing "At Last" by Etta James, but Simon made her pick another song before she even started singing. Eventually, after failing to remember "We are the Champions," she was allowed to sing her original song. She then sang "At Last" by Etta James, and was put through to bootcamp by Cheryl and Simon Cowell. At bootcamp, she sang "Make You Feel My Love" and reacted with shock when she was the first girl put through to the judges houses. She fell to pieces when performing the song "Smile" in front of Cheryl and will.i.am at the judges' houses stage, and had to stop to compose herself after crying, stating that "it's an emotional song for me". Despite stumbling through her song for the second time, Cheryl picked her as one of her final three girls.
In week 1 of the live shows, she sang "We Are the Champions". She was put in the bottom three as a result of the public vote, but because Nicolo Festa polled the fewest votes, Waissel had to sing in the final showdown with F.Y.D., the other bottom three act from week 1. She sang "Don't Let Me Down" in the final showdown and was saved from elimination by the judges by a majority vote, with only Cowell (F.Y.D.'s mentor) voting against her while Cole, Dannii Minogue and Louis Walsh voted to save Waissel. Voting statistics revealed that F.Y.D. received more votes than Waissel meaning if Walsh sent the result to deadlock, F.Y.D. would’ve been saved. In the second week of the live shows, Katie sang "I'd Rather Go Blind". She managed to avoid the bottom three this week and secured a place to the third week, where she sang "I Wan'na Be Like You". In the fourth week she sang "Bewitched" and was in the final showdown with Belle Amie. The result went to deadlock this time, but Waissel was announced as safe when it was revealed that Belle Amie had the fewest votes. She was in the final showdown again the next week after performing "Don't Speak" but was saved by a majority vote over Treyc Cohen when Cole refused to vote against either acts of hers but wanted to vote last to send the result to deadlock but wasn’t allowed to. Cowell and Walsh voted to eliminate Cohen and only Minogue voted to eliminate Waissel. Voting statistics revealed that Cohen received more votes than Waissel meaning if Cole was allowed to send the result to deadlock, Cohen would’ve been saved.
Waissel was in the final showdown for a third successive week when she sang "Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting", and this had been the fourth time Waissel had been in the final showdown. The result went to deadlock, but the public vote showed Aiden Grimshaw received fewer votes and he was eliminated. This was the first time in the show's history that a contestant was put into the final showdown four times and survived. In the quarter-final, she performed "Sex on Fire" and "Everybody Hurts". In the series' third double elimination, Waissel received the fewest votes and was automatically eliminated. Overall, she came 7th in the competition.
Waissel performed the following songs on The X Factor:
|Auditions||"At Last"||Free choice||Through to bootcamp|
|Bootcamp||"Make You Feel My Love"||Through to home visits|
|Home visits||"Smile"||Through to live shows|
|Live show 1||"We Are the Champions"||Number-one singles||Bottom three (15th)|
|Final Showdown (Live Show 1)||"Don't Let Me Down"||Free choice||Saved by judges' vote|
|Live show 2||"I'd Rather Go Blind"||Heroes||Safe (8th)|
|Live show 3||"I Wan'na Be Like You"||Guilty Pleasures||Safe (8th)|
|Live show 4||"Bewitched"||Halloween||Bottom two (10th)|
|Final Showdown (Live Show 4)||"Trust in Me"||Free choice||Saved by public vote|
|Live show 5||"Don't Speak"||American anthems||Bottom two (10th)|
|Final Showdown (Live Show 5)||"Don't Give Up on Me"||Free choice||Saved by judges' vote|
|Live show 6||"Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting"||Songs by Elton John||Bottom two (8th)|
|Final Showdown (Live Show 6)||"Save Me From Myself"||Free choice||Saved by public vote|
|Live show 7||"Help!"||Songs by The Beatles||Safe (3rd)|
|Quarter-Final||"Sex on Fire"||Rock||Eliminated (7th)|
2011–13: Katie Waissel, Red Velvet and X Factor 2011 Final
Shortly before her elimination, it was revealed Jay-Z had an interest in signing Waissel and fellow X Factor contestant Cher Lloyd to his label, Takeover Roc Nation. These plans did not materialise. On 17 March 2012 Waissel released her self-titled debut album on Chamberlain Records, which consists of recordings from her time on Green Eyed World. The song "The Ugly Truth" was used to promote the album – she performed the song on The Alan Titchmarsh Show, The Late Late Show, and embarked on a short shopping mall tour – although it was not released as a single. In June 2011, Waissel announced she is currently working on another album, and promised it will be a "dirty, sexy, rock 'n' roll" album. In July, she revealed her new band, called "Red Velvet Lovers", and according to Waissel are a "proper band".
In May 2013, Red Velvet released their first song for free download, entitled "I'm Fine", about Waissel's failed marriage to Alphonso, adding a message on her Twitter page thanking her fans for their support. Three more songs, "F*ck You", "High Fashion", and "Say It", were released for free download in June.
2016: Celebrity Big Brother
Katie competed in Celebrity Big Brother 18. She received one nomination in the first week from Chloe Khan, after Katie cried when Chloe made a comment about Amy Winehouse. This wasn't enough to make her face the public vote. In week 1, Katie nominated Grant Bovey and James Whale. Fellow Housemate, Christopher Biggins, was removed from the House on Day 9, after he made offensive comments about bisexual people and a racist joke towards Katie, who is Jewish, about the Holocaust. In the second week, Katie received one nomination, this time from Saira Khan (no relation to Chloe). Saira felt like she hadn't spoken to Katie much, as Katie was stuck in a different group. Again, this wasn't enough for Katie to face the public vote (although Saira herself did). In week 2, Katie nominated Saira and Heavy D. Saira was evicted later that week. On Day 13, Katie and fellow Housemates, Ricky Norwood, Aubrey O'Day, James Whale, Samantha Fox and Frankie Grande, threatened to walk out, after the nighttime antics of Lewis Bloor, Chloe Khan, Stephen Bear and Marnie Simpson got too much. In Week 3, Katie clashed massively with Colin Newell (Heavy D), after he questioned her celebrity status and made a mess in the kitchen. He was evicted on Day 20. On Day 23, Katie nominated Ricky Norwood and James Whale, with her and Renee Graziano being the only housemates with no nominations that time. With Lewis Bloor and James Whale leaving in Week 3, Katie became one of the 8 housemates to make it to the final week. On Day 25, Katie received 2 nominations (from Frankie Grande and Ricky Norwood) and she gave her one nomination to Frankie. Anyone who got a nomination was put up for eviction this week, so Katie, Frankie, Ricky, Samantha Fox, Marnie Simpson and eternally nominated Stephen Bear faced the public vote. Katie had a meltdown late in Day 25 and threatened to walk. She decided to stay though. On Day 27, Katie received the fewest votes to save and was evicted from the house in eighth place, along with Samantha Fox in seventh place. Leaving Frankie Grande, Aubrey O'Day, Renee Graziano, Ricky Norwood, Marnie Simpson and Stephen Bear battling for the crown. Frankie came 6th, Aubrey came 5th, Marnie came 4th, Renee came 3rd, Ricky came 2nd and Bear won.
Other Television Appearances
Katie made two appearances in Vanderpump Rules as herself in Series 4 Episode 1 at Scheana Shay's decade themed 30th birthday party, alongside Kristen Doute. Secondly in Episode 10, where it showed her in her real life role as an office manager of a tattoo removal company in Los Angeles.
Waissel is Jewish. In September 2012, she married male model Brad Alphonso; they divorced after two months of marriage. In 2015, she married comedian Brian Moote; they split in late 2016. In July 2018, she gave birth to her first child, a boy named Hudson. In September 2018 she split from her boyfriend to become a single mother.
|Songs from Under the Covers||
As featured performer
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
(with The X Factor finalists)
|"I Don't Know Why"
(River Gods feat. Katie Vogel)
|2006||Chilled Winter Classics|
(The Private Life of David Reed feat. Lola Fontaine)[a]
|2010||The Private Life of David Reed|
^ a "Moving Mountains" was later also included on Waissel's self-titled album, as "Katie Waissel feat. David Reed".
- 2011: The X Factor Live Tour 2011
- Forrester, Katy (29 July 2016). "Official Celebrity Big Brother 2016 line-up LEAKED".
- Rachel Quigley (7 September 2010). "X Factor bosses decide to keep Madonna wannabe Katie Waissel in the competition... despite her U.S. record deal". Daily Mail.
- Jody Thompson (4 October 2010). "X Factor controversy as Katie Waissel goes through despite fluffing audition while Gamu Nhengu gets a 'no'". Daily Mail.
- "How The X Factor And Sony BMG Fixed It For Katie Waissel, aka Katie Vogel". anorak. 23 August 2010.
- "X Factor duo Storm Lee and Katie Waissel played Hollwood [sic] for Paris Hilton". Daily Mirror. 24 September 2010.
- "X Factor 2010's Katie Waissel used to work for OK!". OK!. 5 October 2010.
- Sarah Bull (1 October 2010). "X Factor 2010: It's tears, tears and more tears as Cher, Katie and Gamu go through to judges' houses". Daily Mail.
- Cara Lee (4 October 2010). "Cheryl blasted over Gamu axe". The Sun.
- Bull, Sarah (31 October 2010). "X Factor 2010: Flaky Katie Waissel survives by the skin of her teeth as Simon Cowell is down to one act after Belle Amie are voted off". Daily Mail. London: Associated Newspapers. Retrieved 31 October 2010.
- Johnson, Chris (7 November 2010). "Controversy as Cheryl Cole refuses to vote: Treyc Cohen sent packing on X Factor as Katie Waissel is saved by Simon and Louis". Daily Mail. London: Associated Newspapers. Retrieved 7 November 2010.
- Sheridan, Emily (14 November 2010). "X Factor 2010: Shock as former bookies favourite Aiden Grimshaw leaves after losing the public vote to Katie Waissel". Daily Mail. London: Associated Newspapers. Retrieved 14 November 2010.
- Johnson, Chris (28 November 2010). "X Factor 2010: Katie Waissel gets the boot... shortly followed by Wagner as judges decide to save Mary Byrne in double eviction night". Daily Mail. London: Associated Newspapers. Retrieved 28 November 2010.
- "Jay-Z 'Wants To Sign X Factor's Cher & Katie' - MTV UK".
- 'X Factor' Katie Waissel making 'dirty, sexy' album, Digital Spy, 20 June 2011
- 'X Factor' Katie Waissel forms rock band 'Red Velvet Lovers', Digital Spy, 20 June 2011
- "Im fine".
- "Who is Katie Waissel? Meet the Celebrity Big Brother 2016 housemate". 28 July 2016.
- "Celebrity Big Brother nominations! Who nominated who?". 1 August 2016.
- "Christopher Biggins apologises for Holocaust 'joke' after being kicked off Celebrity Big Brother".
- "'So proud, so happy, so in love!' Katie Waissel ties the knot with male model Brad Alphonso in secret ceremony".
- Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation Salisbury A, Ramsay M, Noakes K (eds.) (2006). Chapter 26:Poliomyelitis. in: Immunisation Against Infectious Disease, 2006 (PDF). Edinburgh: Stationery Office. pp. 313–29. ISBN 0-11-322528-8.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link) CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- "X Factor – The Finalists 2010". irish-charts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 26 February 2012. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Archive Chart". The Official Charts Company. Archived from the original on 6 March 2011. Retrieved 24 March 2011. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Buy Various - Chilled Winter Classics (CD) at Discogs Marketplace".