Katja Mira Herbers
19 October 1980
Katja Mira Herbers (born 19 October 1980) is a Dutch actress. She is best known for portraying Dr. Helen Prins on the WGN America drama series Manhattan (2014–2015), Emily Grace in the HBO science fiction drama series Westworld (2018–2020), and Dr. Kristen Bouchard in the CBS supernatural drama series Evil (2019–present).
Herbers also played recurring roles in the FX spy thriller series The Americans (2015), the HBO mystery drama series The Leftovers (2017), and the Discovery Channel drama series Manhunt: Unabomber (2017).
Early life and education
Katja Mira Herbers was born on 19 October 1980, and is the daughter of violinist Vera Beths and oboist and conductor Werner Herbers. Growing up she spent time in America, accompanying her mother on tour with the group L'Archibudelli. Her mother remarried to cellist Anner Bylsma, and her father remarried to costume designer Leonie Polak, who introduced her to the theater. She had a Canadian au pair and learned to speak Dutch, German, and English growing up.
Herbers went to the Ignatius Gymnasium in Amsterdam. She studied psychology at the University of Amsterdam (1999–2000), during which time she also attended the local theatre school De Trap. She moved to New York and attended HB Studio. She then got accepted to the Academy of Theatre and Dance, which was previously named de Theaterschool, in Amsterdam (2001–2005).
During her studies, she starred in the films Peter Bell (2002) and Brush with Fate (2003). After her graduation, Herbers became a member of Johan Simons's Theater Company NTGent in Ghent. She then joined the renowned Munich Kammerspiele in Germany. She worked with directors such as Alex van Warmerdam, Ivo van Hove and Theu Boermans under whose direction she performed many Schnitzler plays, including his monologue Fräulein Else, for which she received rave reviews. In 2013, she won the Guido de Moor Award for young talent, for her portrayal of Irina in Chekhov's Three Sisters. She played a lead role in Theu Boermans' De Uitverkorene (2006), which won an International Emmy and the prestigious Prix D'Europe.
Herbers divides her time among New York, Los Angeles, and Amsterdam.
|2002||Peter Bell||Martha Bell|
|2003||Kees de jongen||Rosa|
|2003||Peter Bell II: The Hunt for the Czar Crown||Martha Bell|
|2011||Sonny Boy||Vera Bartels|
|2011||Beautiful Life||Juffrouw Metz|
|2012||Brammetje Baas||Els Baas|
|2014||De onderkoning: strijd om de grondwet||Hester van Hogendorp|
|2014||Those Were the Days||Angela|
|2015||My Last Respects||Eva||Short film|
|2017||Weg van jou||Evi|
|2020||The Columnist||Femke Boot|
|2003||Brush with Fate||Tanneke||Television film|
|2004||Bijlmer Odyssee||Penny||Television film|
|2004||Baantjer||Nathalie van der Voort||Episode: "De Cock en de gemaskerde moord"|
|2004||De kroon||Kleindochter Karin||Television film|
|2005–2006||Lieve lust||Isabelle||12 episodes|
|2006||Spoorloos verdwenen||Chantal de Vries||Episode: "Het verdwenen adoptiekind"|
|2006||De uitverkorene||Marthe van der Laan||Television film|
|2007||Das Leben ein Traum||Rosaura||Television film|
|2009–2012||De vloer op||Various||8 episodes|
|2011||Van God Los||Marije||Episode: "Wiet"|
|2012||Beatrix, Oranje onder Vuur||Maxima||4 episodes|
|2012–2016||Divorce||Joyce Waanders||44 episodes|
|2013||SOKO 5113||Franziska Hofer||Episode: "Der Tod des Marquis"|
|2014–2015||Manhattan||Helen Prins||23 episodes|
|2015||The Americans||Evi Sneijde||3 episodes|
|2015||De prijs van de waarheid||Isa||Television film|
|2017||The Leftovers||Dr. Eden||3 episodes|
|2017||Manhunt: Unabomber||Linda Patrik||4 episodes|
|2018||Suspects||Kathelijne Wetzels||Episode: "Missie Mali"|
|2018–2020||Westworld||Emily Grace||7 episodes|
|2019–present||Evil||Kristen Bouchard||Main role; 13 episodes|
- 2013 – Im wunderschönen Monat Mai (Schubert, Schumann, Reinbert de Leeuw)
- 2013 – An Ideal Husband (Oscar Wilde, Theu Boermans, Nationale Toneel)
- 2013 – Platform (Houellebecq, Stephan Kimmig, Münchner Kammerspiele)
- 2012 – The Mother (Gorky, Alvis Hermanis, Münchner Kammerspiele)
- 2012 – Three Sisters (Chekhov, Theu Boermans, Nationale Toneel)
- 2011 – Winterreise (Schubert, Elfriede Jellinek, Johan Simons, Münchner Kammerspiele)
- 2010/2011 – Hotel Savoy (Joseph Roth, Johan Simons, Münchner Kammerspiele)
- 2010 – Fraulein Else (Schitzler, Theu Boermans, De Theatercompagnie)
- 2008/2009 – The Lonely Road (Schnitzler, Theu Boermans, De Theatercompagnie)
- 2007 – The Vast Domain (Schnitler, Theu Boermans, De Theatercompagnie)
- 2007/2008 and 2009 – Double Indemnity (Billy Wilder, Johan Simons, NTGent)
- 2006 – Life Is a Dream (Calderon, Johans Simons, NTGent)
- 2006 – Opening Night (Cassavetes, Ivo van Hove), NTGent/Toneelgroep Amsterdam/)
- 2006 – Edward II (Marlowe, Johan Simons, NTGent)
- 2004/2005 – The Terrible Mother (Alex van Warmerdam, De Mexicaanse hond)
- Biography Katja Herbers, Katja Herbers' official website. Retrieved on 18 February 2014.
- (in Dutch) Katja Herbers (Roos) Archived 21 February 2014 at the Wayback Machine, Amsterdam De Film. Retrieved on 18 February 2014.
- (in Dutch) "Katja Herbers wint toneelprijs jong talent", de Volkskrant, 2013. Retrieved on 14 March 2014.
- (in Dutch) Website Residentieorkest. Retrieved on 12 March 2015.
- "Katja Herbers In WGN Series ‘Manhattan’; Griffin Gluck Joins Fox’s ‘Red Band Society’", Deadline Hollywood, 2014. Retrieved on 18 February 2014.