|Elevation||3,717 ft (1,133 m)|
Katosi is located approximately 29 kilometres (18 mi), by road, south-east of Mukono, the location of the district headquarters. This location is along the northern shore of Lake Victoria, approximately 52 kilometres (32 mi), by road, southeast of Kampala, the capital and largest city of Uganda.
The geographical coordinates of Katosi are 0°09'10.0"N, 32°48'05.0"E (Latitude:0.152778; Longitude:32.801389). The town's average elevation is approximately 1,133 metres (3,717 ft) above sea level.
Traditionally, Katosi was a fishing village and a landing site for water craft transporting people and merchandise between Koome Island in Mukono District and the Buvuma Islands in neighboring Buvuma District and the mainland. During the last decade of the 20th century and in the first decade of the 21st century, Katosi became a major fishing center, with the majority of the catch exported to Europe and the Middle East. As the fishing village has increased in economic importance, the human population has increased as well.
Katosi has a high population of AIDS orphans and widows.
In 2011, the National Water and Sewerage Corporation (NWSC), the government parastatal responsible for water supply and sanitation, announced plans to build a water treatment plant in Katosi, capable of supplying 120,000 cubic meters (120,000,000 L) of purified water daily. The new water plant will cost approximately US$306 million and will supply mainly the rapidly growing towns of Mukono and Kira Town.
Points of interest
The following points of interest lie within or near Katosi:
- Offices of Katosi Intercomunity Development Alliance (KIDA), an NGO
- Offices of Katosi Town Council
- Offices of Katosi Women Development Trust (KWDT), an NGO
- Offices of Katosi Women Fishing & Development Association (KWFDA), another NGO
- The site where National Water and Sewerage Corporation built the Katosi Water Treatment Plant.
- Katosi Landing Site
- Katosi Fish Market
- Katosi Central Market
- Daily Monitor (19 October 2017). "Government considers scrapping new towns in Mukono". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 8 June 2021.
- Google (8 June 2021). "Road Distance Between Mukono Town And Katosi Trading Centre, Mukono District, Uganda" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 8 June 2021.
- Google (8 June 2021). "Road Distance Between Kampala City Centre And Katosi Trading Centre, Mukono District, Uganda" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 8 June 2021.
- Google (8 June 2021). "Location of Katosi Town, Mukono District, Central Region, Uganda" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 8 June 2021.
- "Estimated Human Population of Katosi In 2015". GetAMap.net. Retrieved 23 January 2015.
- "Fishing in Uganda". classicuganda.com. Retrieved 2020-05-24.
- "Children and fishing, in Katosi community – Jai Jagat 2020". Retrieved 2020-05-26.
- Mugalu, Moses (7 June 2012). "Feature: Religions United Against HIV In Katosi". The Observer (Uganda). Retrieved 23 January 2015.
- "Uganda To Build US$306 Million Water Treatment Plant in Katosi". Water-technology.net. 18 April 2011. Retrieved 23 January 2015.
- Athumani, Halima (17 March 2011). "New Water Purification System For Kampala City". Uganda Radio Network. Retrieved 23 January 2015.