This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Katrin Ottarsdóttir went to Denmark in 1976 and is the first person from the Faroe Islands to study at the film school in Copenhagen (1982). In 1989, she received for Atlantic Rhapsody the first prize for a Faroese film at the film festival Nordische Filmtage.
Ottarsdóttir writes her own screenplays and also directs the films. She was both director and producer for Atlantic Rhapsody. Most of the actors in Ottarsdóttir's films are Faroese because the country has a rich theater scene, with many skilled actors available. The Faroe Islands, with their unique landscape, feature prominently in her films.
The road movie Bye Bye Bluebird received top honors in 1999 at Nordische Filmtage and the Tiger Award in 2000 at the International Film Festival Rotterdam. Her daughter Hildigunn Eyðfinnsdóttir (born 1975) took the leading role.
Since 2007 Katrin Ottarsdóttir has been working on a trilogy of film portraits of Faroese artists. The first of the films, No One Can Achieve Perfection, about the sculptor Hans Pauli Olsen, premiered in January 2008. The second film - A Line A Day Must Be Enough! - about the poet, painter and performance artist Tóroddur Poulsen - premiered in September 2008. The third film in the trilogy, about the writer Jóanes Nielsen, was premiered at the end of 2009.
All three portrait films are "one-(wo)man, one camera" productions - directed, shot and edited by the filmmaker herself.
In 2011 she published some poems in the Faroese literature magazine Vencil; and in 2012 she published her first collection of poems, written in Faroese, with the title: Eru koparrør í himmiríki?' (Are there copper tubings in Heaven?)
- 2014 - Ludo. Feature film. 71 min.
- 2011 - Memories From an Apartment. Film installation. 5 × 6-8 min.
- 2011 - Budam: Last Song. Music video. 5 min.
- 2010 - Sporini vaksa úr orðum. A portrait of the Faroese writer Jóanes Nielsen
- 2008 - A Line A Day Must Be Enough!. Documentary. 58 min.
- 2008 - No One Can Achieve Perfection. Documentary. 85 min.
- 2003 - Regin smiður. Dance film. 5 min.
- 1999 - Bye Bye Bluebird. Feature film. 85 min.
- 1995 - The Man Who Was Allowed to Leave. Short film. 56 min.
- 1991 - Hannis. Children's short film. 30 min.
- 1989 - Atlantic Rhapsody. Feature film. 74 min.
- 2016 - Aftanáðrenn. Short stories. Sprotin. 184 pages. ISBN 978-99972-1-214-6
- 2017 - I Afrika er der mange søde børn. Translated into Danish by the author and Hugin Eide. Forlaget Torgard.
- 2015 - Messa fyri einum filmi. Poems. Mentunargrunnur Studentafelagsins.
- 2012 - Eru koparrør í himmiríki? (The title means: Are there any copper tubings in Heaven?) poems, 51 pages, Mentunargrunnur Studentafelagsins (publishing house), Tórshavn, 2012.
- 2016 - Findes der kobberrør i himlen. Translated into Danish by the author. Forlaget Torgard.
- 2015 - Awarded a yearly lifelong grant of 20 000 DKK from the Faroese government. The award is called Sømdargáva landsins
- 2013 - Faroese Literature Prize for Eru koparrør í himmiríki (Are there any copper tubings in Heaven?), poems
- 2007 - Was awarded a 3-years grant (3-ára starvsløn) from the Mentanargrunnur Landsins (Foundation, established by the Faroese government)
- 2000 - Won the Tiger Award at the international filmfestival in Rotterdam. Katrin's daughter, Hildigunn Eyðfinnsdóttir (born 1975) plays the main role.
- 2000 - Won the Audience Award and Youth Jury Award at the French film festival Festival du film nordique in Rouen for Bye Bye Bluebird .
- 1999 - Won the 1. prize for the movie Bye Bye Bluebird at the German film festival Nordische Filmtage in Lübeck.
- 1989 - Won the 1. prize for the movie Atlantic Rhapsody at the German film festival Nordische Filmtage in Lübeck.
- "Aftanáðrenn (pappírsbók) - Katrin Ottarsdóttir" (in Faroese). Sprotin. Retrieved 24 September 2016.
- in.fo - Ottarsdóttir við nýggjum yrkingum
- Hnj.fo (Boghandel i Thorshavn)
- portal.fo - Oddvør, Katrin, Mathias, Torbjørn og Tey av Kamarinum fingið virðislønirnar
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Katrin Ottarsdóttir.|