Katrin Saks in 2007.
|Minister of Population and Ethnic Affairs|
|Prime Minister||Mart Laar|
|Preceded by||Andra Veidemann|
|Succeeded by||Eldar Efendijev|
29 November 1956 |
|Political party||Social Democratic Party|
Katrin Saks (born November 29, 1956 in Tallinn) is an Estonian politician, currently vice-chairman of the Social Democratic Party. From 1999 to 2002, she was Minister of Population Affairs in the cabinet of Mart Laar. In October 2006 she became Member of the European Parliament, replacing Toomas Hendrik Ilves, who had been elected President of Estonia. She lost her seat in the 2009 European election, but shortly regained it, when on 7 April 2014 she replaced Ivari Padar who became Estonian Minister for Agriculture, until in July she was succeeded by Marju Lauristin following the 2014 European election.
- Estonian Diplomatic College, international relations and diplomacy (1993)
- University of Tartu, journalism (1981)
- Additional courses in Denmark, Norway, Belgium and the USA.
- Concordia International University, lecturer (1998–2000)
- Open Estonia Fund, project manager (1998–1999)
- Estonian Television, programme director, member of the Board of Governors (1993–1997)
- Estonian Television, journalist (1977–1997)
- Member of the European Parliament, Socialist Group (2006–2009; April–June 2014)
- Member of the Estonian Parliament (2003–2006),
- Member, European Union Affairs Committee; Vice-chairman, Cultural Affairs Committee
- Member, Estonian delegation to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe,
rapporteur on Finno-Ugric peoples in the Russian Federation (2003–2006)
- Government of the Republic of Estonia, minister (1999–2002)
- Mõõdukad Party (predecessor of the SDE) (1988), Vice-Chairman, SDE Party (2005).
- Member, Broadcasting Council
- Board of Trustees of Tartu University
- Board of Trustees of the Estonian Music Academy
- President, Union for Child Welfare
- 2006: Order of the White Star, 4th class
- No URL found. Please specify a URL here or add one to Wikidata.
- Personal profile of Katrin Saks in the European Parliament's database of members
- Katrin Saks at WordPress
|Estonian Minister of Population and Ethnic Affairs