Government College, Kattappana
Official Emblem of GCK
|Principal||Dr. Abdul Rahim|
Government College, Kattappana is located in Idukki district, India. Affiliated with M G University, the college offers a Bachelor's degree in arts, science and commerce. The college is accredited with 'A' grade by NAAC
Different courses offered at the institute are
- Bachelor of Arts in Economics
- Bachelor of Arts in Malayalam
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry
- Bachelor of Science in Mathematics
- Bachelor in Commerce
- Master of Arts in Malayalam
- Master of Commerce
Government college, Kattappana was established in July 1977 to fulfill a long need in the vicinity.
Prof.R.Balakrishnan Nair took charge as the first principal of the college on 26 July 1977. The affiliation was granted by the University of Kerala for starting a Junior college. The classes started on 18 August 1977. The University of Kerala accorded sanction for starting a unit of NSS during the academic year 1979-1980. The college was later upgraded in the year 1989 for Undergraduate Studies in Economics.
The permanent affiliation for the college was granted by the Mahathma Gandhi University, Kottayam in the year 1994.
Various facilities available in the institute are
- Edusat Bhavan
- Internet Bhavano
- Computer lab for Commerce & Maths Dept.
- Automated & partly digitalized library
- Conference hall
- Sports ground
The college is located in the spice city of Kerala, Kattappana. The Institute is a three floor building with all modern amenities. It is situated on a beautiful windy hill which is just 1.5 km. away from the Kattappana main town.
The majority of the students at the institute are day scholars, while a small percentage who come from faraway places stay at nearby lodges. Mahatma Gandhi university has announced a project to develop a biodiversity park on the campus of Government College. The groves, highlighting the biodiversity of plants, will be created and preserved by the National Service Scheme (NSS), in association with Green Leaf, a non-governmental organization engaged in planting and preserving trees in public places for the past two decades.
The institute has 12 departments. Courses are offered and managed independently by these departments. They are
-  Archived 18 November 2015 at the Wayback Machine,
- UG courses Archived 18 November 2015 at the Wayback Machine,
- PG courses Archived 18 November 2015 at the Wayback Machine,
- MG University, Kottayam.
- Courses offered,
- History of the college Archived 11 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine,
- Facilities available Archived 18 November 2015 at the Wayback Machine,
- Kattappana description,
- Location of the institute,
- Campus clubs Archived 11 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine.
- Biodiversity Park,
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Government College, Kattappana.|