Katten Muchin Rosenman
This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (January 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Headquarters||525 West Monroe Street Chicago, IL 60661|
|No. of offices||11|
|No. of attorneys||700 (2020)|
|Key people||Roger P. Furey, Chairman, Noah Heller, Chief Executive Officer|
|Revenue||$635 million (2019)|
|Company type||Limited liability partnership|
Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP (Katten) is a full-service law firm with nearly 700 attorneys in locations across the United States and in London and Shanghai. The firm's core areas of practice include commercial finance, corporate, financial markets and funds, insolvency and restructuring, intellectual property, litigation, real estate, structured finance and securitization, transactional tax planning, and private wealth. Katten represents public and private companies in numerous industries, as well as a number of government and nonprofit organizations and individuals.
Rankings and Recognition
Katten is regularly honored for its diversity and women's programs by legal publications such as MultiCultural Law Magazine, mainstream publications such as Working Mother magazine  and by business groups such as the National Association for Female Executives "NAFE" rankings of Top 50 Companies for Executive Women. Katten has been named one of the “Best Places to Work for LGBT Equality” by the Human Rights Campaign every year since 2009 and by Equality Illinois as one of the top Illinois law firms for LGBT inclusiveness and equality every year since 2012. The firm has been recognized by the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) as a Top Performer and recipient of the Compass Award in 2018 and 2019.
Katten has been certified for meeting the standards of the Mansfield Rule 2.0, which directs law firms to consider at least 30 percent women, LGBTQ+ and minority attorneys for significant leadership roles. The Mansfield Rule, a winning idea from the 2016 Women in Law Hackathon hosted by Diversity Lab in collaboration with Bloomberg Law and Stanford Law School, was inspired by the NFL's Rooney Rule, which requires NFL teams to interview at least one minority candidate for head coach vacancies. Diversity Lab's Mansfield Rule was named after Arabella Mansfield, the first woman admitted to practice law in the United States, and measures whether law firms have considered historically underrepresented attorneys for at least 30 percent of leadership and governance roles, equity partner promotions, and lateral positions. The firm is currently participating in the third version of the Mansfield Rule, which broadens the candidate pool to add attorneys with disabilities.
Katten's attorneys and practices have been ranked in the BTI Litigation Outlook, Chambers Global, Chambers USA, Chambers UK, The Legal 500 United States, The Legal 500 United Kingdom and US News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms.” 2018 as a top-tier Honor Roll firm in the areas of IP Litigation, Class Actions, Securities and Finance Litigation, and Complex Employment Litigation. The firm's Trusts and Estates practice has been recognized as an industry leader in the Chambers High Net Worth 2017 guide for top talent and cross-border excellence.
Katten has been highly ranked for US ABS/MBS Securitizations and CLO Underwriting Counsel. The firm was ranked second place for a fourth year among the most active issuers' counsel for US asset-backed and mortgage-backed securitizations and is in the top 10 of underwriters' counsel for US asset-backed and mortgage-backed securitizations. Its Commercial Finance practice was named one of the top 10 dealmakers of 2017 and 2018 by Franchise Times, advising on more than 75 deals annually in the franchise and restaurant space, with loan sizes ranging from $25 million to more than $800 million. Katten has been recognized for its trademark services by World Trademark Review 1000 – The World's Leading Trademark Professionals (WTR 1000). The firm's Sports and Sports Facilities practice was selected as a “go-to” firm for Sports Law in Chicago.
Notable Attorneys and Alumni
- Special Master of the US Court of Federal Claims - Brian H. Corcoran former Katten partner
- On June 1, 2011, former Mayor of Chicago Richard M. Daley joined Katten Muchin Rosenman as of counsel.
- Former US District Chief of the Northern District of Texas - Judge Jorge Solis of counsel
- US Magistrate Judge - M. David Weisman former Katten partner
- Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Joshua D. Wayser – former Katten partner
- Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Steve Cochran – former Katten partner
- In March 2018, Steven Reisman joined Katten as partner and head of the New York Insolvency and Restructuring practice. Reisman, who previously served as conflicts counsel during the historic bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers in 2008 and represented the Air Transportation Stabilization Board in the aftermath of 9/11, has been profiled in various media as a "celebrity lawyer" for his connections to the music industry.
- "Katten - Chicago - Law Firm Profile - Chambers USA 2020 - Chambers and Partners". www.chambersandpartners.com. Chambers & Partners. Retrieved 30 January 2020.
- "D.C.-based partner moves up at Katten". Chicago Daily Law Bulletin. Law Bulletin Media. Retrieved 11 May 2018.
- "The 2019 Am Law 100 Ranked by: Gross Revenue | The American Lawyer". The American Lawyer. ALM Media Properties, LLC. Retrieved 23 April 2019.
- "Katten, USA | Chambers Rankings". Chambers. Retrieved 30 January 2020.
- "About". katten.com. Retrieved 2020-02-09.
- "Profile of Professional Organization Contributors Katten Muchin Rosenman, LLP". The National Law Review. The National Law Forum, LLC. 2012-11-19. Retrieved 2013-01-05.
- "Top 100 Law Firms for Diversity" (PDF). MultiCultural Law. L.P. Green & Partners, Inc. 2012-06-19. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-01-24. Retrieved 2012-12-15.
- "2012 Working Mother 100 Best Companies". Working Mother Media. Bonnier Corporation. 2012-07-17. Retrieved 2012-12-10.
- "2012 NAFE Top 50 Companies for Executive Women". Working Mother Magazine. Working Mother Media. 2012-06-15. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
- "Buyers Guide". Human Rights Campaign. The Human Rights Campaign. Retrieved 7 July 2018.
- "Raising the Bar 2017 « Equality Illinois". Retrieved 2020-02-09.
- "2019 Recognition List" (PDF). Leadership Council on Legal Diversity. Retrieved February 9, 2020.
- "Mansfield-2.0-and-3.0-Press-Release-Final-2" (PDF). September 3, 2019.
- "Mansfield-Rule-Legal-Department-Pilot-Press-Release-For-Distribution-April-4-2019" (PDF). April 4, 2019.
- "Katten Recognized for Making Strides Towards More Diversity and Inclusion". katten.com. Retrieved 2020-02-09.
- "Katten_Awards_and_Rankings" (PDF). December 4, 2019.
- "BTI Litigation Outlook 2018: Changes, Trends and Opportunities for Law Firms". BTI Consulting Group. The BTI Consulting Group. Retrieved 7 July 2018.
- "The HNW Guide's Best lawyers and Law Firms". Chambers and Partners. Chambers & Partners. Retrieved 7 July 2018.
- "Katten Advances in Underwriter League Table in 2019 US ABS/MBS Securitization Counsel Mid-Year Rankings". katten.com. Retrieved 2020-02-10.
- "Asset-Backed Alert :: Law Firms". www.abalert.com. Harrison Scott Publications. Retrieved 7 July 2018.
- "Plus 9 more scrappy dealmakers - Franchise Times - April 2018 - FranchiseTimes.com". www.franchisetimes.com. Franchise Times. Retrieved 7 July 2018.
- "United States: Illinois - Rankings - WTR 1000 - World Trademark Review". World Trademark Review. Globe Business Media Group. Retrieved 7 July 2018.
- Dalton, Brian. "The Loop Elite: The Go-To Firms Of Chicago". Above the Law. Breaking Media, Inc. Retrieved 7 July 2018.
- "Brian H. Corcoran | US Court of Federal Claims". www.uscfc.uscourts.gov. Retrieved 27 July 2018.
- Dardick, Hal (2011-06-01). "Daley takes job at law firm that got city work". Chicago Tribune.
- "Katten Muchin adds former federal chief judge, four lawyers in Dallas". www.bizjournals.com. American City Business Journals. Retrieved 27 July 2018.
- "Emotions run high as judge sworn in". www.chicagolawbulletin.com. Law Bulletin Media. Retrieved 27 July 2018.
- "Calif. Gov. Taps MoFo, Arnold, Katten Partners For Bench - Law360". www.law360.com. Retrieved 2020-02-10.
- "Katten Muchin, Cotchett Attys Among 34 New Calif. Judges - Law360". www.law360.com. Retrieved 2020-02-10.
- "'Drake's Favorite Lawyer' and 4 More Move to Katten Muchin". www.law.com. The American Lawyer. Retrieved 22 August 2018.
- "Profile: Reisman Tries His Luck at Katten". www.thedeal.com. The Deal. Retrieved 22 August 2018.
- "Here's Proof That Drake And Kendrick Lamar Might Have Been In The Studio Together". www.vibe.com. Vibe. Retrieved 22 August 2018.
- "'Two Dollar Steve' Reisman Joins Katten Muchin". www.biglawbusiness.com. Bloomberg Law. Retrieved 22 August 2018.
- "Who Is Steven Reisman? Meet Hip-Hop VIPs' Favorite Lawyer, the Man With the $2 Bills". www.complex.com. Complex. Retrieved 22 August 2018.