Kay in May 2010
14 November 1964 |
Wallingford, Berkshire, England
|Education||University of Oxford|
Katherine "Katty" Kay (born 14 November 1964 in Wallingford, Berkshire) is an English journalist. Kay is the lead News Presenter of BBC World News America, and was previously the BBC News Washington D.C. Correspondent from 2002.
Life and career
Kay grew up in Blewbury, Berkshire (now Oxfordshire) and spent time in various Middle East countries, where her father was posted as a British diplomat. She studied modern languages at the University of Oxford and speaks fluent French and Italian. After graduation, she briefly worked for the Bank of England. Deciding a career in economics was not for her, she left to work for an aid agency in Zimbabwe.
A short time later, friend Matt Frei came out with a tape recorder and persuaded her to become a journalist. Kay joined the BBC in 1990 as Zimbabwe correspondent for the African section of the BBC World Service. She then returned to London to work for BBC World Service radio, before being posted to Tokyo for BBC News television in 1992 and then Washington, D.C., in 1996. Soon afterwards, she joined The Times news bureau, but returned to the BBC as a freelance journalist in 2002, based in the United States.
From June 2004, Kay co-presented the BBC World news bulletins with Mike Embley in London, shown on 230 public broadcast-television stations throughout the US and on BBC America. From 1 October 2007, Kay became correspondent to presenter Matt Frei of BBC World's one-hour Washington-based news broadcast, BBC World News America, it airs on the BBC News Channel, BBC America, and BBC World News. Kay also makes frequent appearances as a guest panelist on The Chris Matthews Show, Morning Joe and Meet the Press on NBC, Real Time with Bill Maher on HBO, and in the past also appeared on Larry King Live on CNN. She occasionally substitutes for Diane Rehm on The Diane Rehm Show on NPR.
Kay has written two books. On 2 June 2009, Harper Collins published Womenomics, a book written by Kay and ABC News' Good Morning America senior national correspondent Claire Shipman exploring the redefinition of success for working women based on recent trends of the value of women to the business world.
On 15 April 2014, HarperBusiness published The Confidence Code: The Science and Art of Self-Assurance—What Women Should Know, a book written by Kay and Shipman.
- Claire Shipman and Katty Kay, Womenomics, (HarperBusiness, 2 June 2009) ISBN 978-0-06-169718-0
- Katty Kay and Claire Shipman, The Confidence Code: The Science and Art of Self-Assurance—What Women Should Know, ISBN 006223062X ASIN: B00DB368AY
- Kurtz, Howard (26 February 2007). "Katty Kay, Calibrating Britney for the Beeb". Washington Post. Retrieved 14 December 2008.
- "Katty Kay Biography". Global Gaming Expo. Retrieved 19 June 2014.
- "Board of Directors". International Women's Media Foundation. 2013. Retrieved 8 September 2016.
- "BBC News - World News America - Katty Kay". BBC News. Retrieved 31 January 2015.
- "She said... Katty Kay". BBC World Service. Retrieved 5 January 2008.
- "Katty Kay". BBC World. Retrieved 5 January 2008.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Katty Kay.|